String snapping at shared hole

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by gtabad, Aug 24, 2007.

1. gtabad

gtabad Regular Member

I am having great difficulty trying to thread the string through the shared hole. I end up using the awl to thread it through. It works on several occasion but last night when I was doing it, I snapped the string twice. Is there an easier way to thread a string through the shared hole?

Also, most of my time is spend weaving. Is there an easier technique to weave strings?

For anyone that has a 6pt mount support machine, I want to know how you are setting up for badminton racquet. It seems like the K-support is always blocking off a hole.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) pre weave the string.
    2) search for dental floss.

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, dental floss is the easiest way to get through shared grommets. It is possible to use a piler and string mover to get the cross string through easy-to-medium-tight shared grommets. Tight-to-ultra-tight shared grommets still require tooth floss. As per Master SH's suggestion, do a search first on those topics.

Pre-weaving is great if you can't weaving the cross like a pro stringer: pros can weave each cross string under 10 seconds.

Weaving each cross string at a time reduces axial twist of the cross strings at the shared grommets area to almost nil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

gtabad wrote:

I am having great difficulty trying to thread the string through the shared hole. I end up using the awl to thread it through. It works on several occasion but last night when I was doing it, I snapped the string twice. Is there an easier way to thread a string through the shared hole?

Also, most of my time is spend weaving. Is there an easier technique to weave strings?

For anyone that has a 6pt mount support machine, I want to know how you are setting up for badminton racquet. It seems like the K-support is always blocking off a hole.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    BTW, you should make sure the awl is not sharp. Professional stringing awl has tips that are rounded.

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

You have to adjust the 2 support columns in or out to alter the relative positions of the side supports.

It has been mentioned in other threads, but it may be hard to search for.
    We should probably make a sticky thread called "How to mount a racquet"

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Use the round tip awl as Pete suggested. The way I am doing is:

1. Carefully insert the awl tip through gromment, and slowly move around the awl to "enlarge" the gromment hole. The awl should be on the side of the existing string, but not going through it or scracth it.

2. Repeat step 1 from both directions, outside in and inside out (be very careful using this direction)

3. Use a small (but flat headed) piler to guide the string to go through.

4. If the space is small, try to do an experiement to let the string come from "outside in" direction. This will test whether there's enough space for string piece to go through, and also show you the right "path" to where to begin and end. ;)