Question about Changing Grip Size

Discussion in 'Grip' started by BadJY, Aug 24, 2007.

1. BadJY

BadJY Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys,

I have a small dilemma. I recently bought a 3U Armortec 500 from a local retail store. Problem is, due to my foolish distracted mind, I didn't look at the grip size. Turns out I got a G5 grip which is way too big for my hands, so I'm wondering, is there any way to change the grip size?
    Or is grip size not so important and wouldn't really affect my gameplay?

Thanks in advance.

2. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    A G5 grip that is too big for your hands? Do you mean something different? Because G5 is usually the smallest/thinnest grip size on a racquet, only a few select racquets have a G6 grip and I've never seen a G7 grip (which would be like a straw).

3. BadJY

BadJY Regular Member

Student
    G5 is the smallest? Pardon my ignorance, but I thought it was the thickest/longest. But then, does the grip size affect length or thickness?

4. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    Well the larger the number, the smaller something is in badminton racquets,

eg. a 2U racquet is heavier than a 4U racquet,
    a G4 grip is smaller than a G3 grip

Well the grip size affects the thickness of the grip, or in other words, the circumference of the grip. Most of the time grip size does not affect racquet length, that factor is dependent on the racquet model itself (eg. long shaft or regular length).

5. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

You could pull the grip off and sand the wooden handle down a bit.

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

At age 15, you should be at lease G5 or G4 by now. G5 and G4 for the same model have same grip length. Just different thickness.

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i am 30, still using G5....:crying:
    maybe BadJY really has a small small hand...

8. Irrelevance

Irrelevance Regular Member

nothing wrong with using a smaller grip. it's all preference. i have huge hands, but i prefer g5 grips. i usually take off the original grip and put on a yonex super grap.

9. BadJY

BadJY Regular Member

Student
    Nah, it's not really the thickness that bothers me, it's the length.

10. phibian

phibian Regular Member

I'm having a similar issue with the racket I got a few months ago. It felt good when I demo'd it, or I wouldn't have bought it. I have smallish hands but long fingers and I use a G3 grip (G3 always felt good on previous rackets). I think my hand is just too small for this particular handle's design.

The handle is about 1 cm longer and the end is chunkier than my previous racket's and over the months it has gradually created a wrist injury. Gripping where it feels comfortable (or what I thought was comfortable) makes the butt of the handle dig ever so slightly into the edge of my palm... gripping lower down the handle makes the butt of the handle really dig into the edge of my palm.

Now that spot on the edge of my palm is so sensitive I can't play with that racket anymore - it makes scar tissue from an old injury flare up in protest.

I really don't know if it's even do-able to just put a new, shorter handle on it. Will a shop even try do this? It would change the balance, etc. of the racket, wouldn't it? I'm thinking I'll give or sell it to someone with beefy hands.

For now I'm going back to using my old racket until I get around to buying a new one. (NS 7700 looks good...:D)

11. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

dude...just return it for an exchange

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The length? The handle is longer than the size of a hand, so you can shift your grip up or down, to have more power, or faster reaction. Hold the bottom part for power, near the cone for fast reaction, and the middle for a bit of both.

13. valmetf4

valmetf4 Regular Member

forrest worker
    have just returned playing after 15 years off and have been told my grip is to small as my fingers easily push into the palm of my thumb thus restricting my wrist movement and not allowing me to use my full power for smashing. using G4 grips, my finger tip to wrist is 205 mm .have 2 rackets with grips measuring 82 mm and 89 mm, with the later being a wrap overgrip which i guess makes it G3, are these the correct sizes.
    scott

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    It depends on what size you want to play with. A small grip will give you more racket movement while a larger grip will give you more power and vice versa.

15. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Just play what feels more comfortable. You can try having 2 overgrips on top of your G4 and seeing how that feels. If you're more comfortable with that you can keep it that way, if not, just keep using G4 with 1 overgrip.