How to get coach certificate?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by martin8768, Aug 25, 2007.

1. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    Hi I'm looking for somewhere in Ontario where i can take a course to become a certified badminton coach, i'm planning on coaching people from grade 7 to 12. I'm doing this for volunteer hours for my High School and junior high school my old teacher invited me to coach their and my present coach needs help this year with the high school team, I want to make it official and take a coaching course, i've allready read the book "How to coach badminton" but i want to go further and get certified by the NCCP or coaching assossiation of canada or ontario, does anyone know who i can contact or a website that can point me in the right direction, i have searched the internet but i can't find anything. thanks a lot

2. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    You can contact Val Butler at Ontario Badminton Association. The next available clinic for Level I will be Dec 27-29. It's consist of 3 parts: Theory, Technical and Practical. www.ontariobadminton.on.ca

3. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    hey thanks a lot i checked the event calendar at the OBA website but its wasn't listed, thanks a lot i will contact M./Ms. Butler, dec 27-29 is not the greatest time but i might make it, thanks

#3 martin8768, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

For the theory course, go to www.coach.ca to find out when sessions are being held. This course is taught to coaches of many different sports, so you get to meet different types of people. They offer this course all the time, every couple of months it seems, so don't worry if you miss it, because another will come along soon. This course covers a bunch of boring stuff like ethics, nutrition, learning styles etc in the A course, and slightly more interesting stuff like seasonal planning/periodization, mental training, etc in the B course. Level 3 is all of the same, though they go slightly more in depth in content.

The technical courses are run by OBA, so Val Butler is probably the one to contact for those. These are run less frequently, so sign up when you can, otherwise you might have to wait a year (or more?) before getting a chance to take it. These courses are taught in a gym, usually with some students for you to teach. Level 1 teaches how to organize students, how to explain the basic techniques (clear, drop, smash, serve, net, etc). Level 2 is similar but covers the advanced techniques (slice, backhand, stick smash, spinning net) and basic tactics. Level 3 is mostly focused on tactics and individualizing training for an individual to maximize results.

For the practical requirement, I believe you need to spend a certain amount of time coaching, with a certified coach observing you. For the level 2, the instructor brings you in a month later to do a "post-test" to see how well you can teach various techniques. Level 3 is task oriented, you have to accomplish a bunch of things like coach a high-perfomance camp, bring a player/team to the provincial championships, etc.