Rexy to only focus on two pairs

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Jessica, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Sources:NST online

National doubles coach Rexy Manaiky will only focus on Koo
    Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah in preparation for the Beijing Olympics gold as the rest of the senior pairs have been bugged by inconsistency throughout the year.
    Not that Rexy has totally left out the four other national pairs — Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock, Fairuzizuan Tazari-Zakry Latif, Chan Chong Ming-Hoon Thien How and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui — from his plans but the bitter lesson learnt in the World Championships debacle a fortnight ago was a clear indication that Olympics are not about exposure.

None, except Chong Ming, has the experience of playing in the Olympics and Rexy wants proven players in Beijing rather than untested combinations.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah, the World No 6, reached the semi-finals in the World Championships while Kien Keat-Boon Heong, the World No 2, are good enough to challenge for gold in Beijing as they are on par with the top pairs.

"At the moment, I will only be focusing on Kien Keat-Boon Heong and Tan Fook-Wan Wah for the Beijing Olympics," said Rexy in a telephone interview from Hong Kong yesterday.
    "I must rely on quality and experience and these two pairs are the picks now. I will send them for super series events regularly to stay in the top flight and also improve their world ranking.

"I’m not totally counting out the rest. A country is allowed a maximum of three pairs if it has three or more pairs in the top four ranking and we can consider another pair if that happens.

"This means the rest of the pairs will have to work very hard and prove that they deserve a place in the Olympics."

Rexy cannot be faulted for being cautious as Bin Shen-Soon Hock and Fairuz-Zakry were total letdowns in the World Championships.

Bin Shen-Soon Hock lost to Japanese pair Keita Masuda-Tadashi Ohtsuka in the first round while Fairuz-Zakry, who were offered the wildcard ahead of Chong Ming-Thien How , were thrashed by China’s Guo Zhendong-Xie Zhongbo in the second round.

The pairs have also been not performing in other tournaments over the last three months while Chong Ming-Thien How and Teik Chai-Woon Fui were also equally inconsistent.

Producing better results alone will not help their cause but they must start winning at least the grand prix tournaments to be considered for the Olympics.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong have won five titles - including the Doha Asian Games gold in December and the All England title in March — while Tan Fook-Wan Wah have more then 13 years of international experience.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah is the only pair in the current national squad to have played in the 2000 Sydney Olympics and the 2004 Athens Olympics. They reached the semi-finals in Sydney and were beaten in the bronze medal playoff by 2004 champions Ha Tae Kwon-Kim Dong Moon of South Korea.

Only injury could stop Tan Fook-Wan Wah from competing in their third Olympics and this means their compatriots must try to break into the top four to give themselves a genuine chance of qualifying for the Olympics.

2. winnie

winnie Regular Member

then how about his newly formed XD pair tan wee kiong-woon khe wei?

3. emmsfan

emmsfan Regular Member

Student
    This is not fair for Chong Ming-Thien How. They have never been given the chance to participate in the WC. Most of the doubles pairs, their age gaps are very small, but for Chong Ming and Thien How, the age gap is 6 or 7 years. I don't really know if it influences the results though so correct me if I'm wrong.
    And Chong Ming has done very well with his other partners in the past, it could be because of the age factor or he's not used to his partner.
    Or maybe it's because they're both short as compared to other players.
    It is true they haven't been performing as well as KKK-TBH, but not all pairs are the same.

4. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    At least Rexy being realistic now after his dream of ALL MAS SF in World Cup failed miserably

5. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Focusing more on the pairs which can produce good results is obviously a brilliant action by rexy.This is not to look down on the other pairs but they must produce some results as the Olympic game is nearer day by day.The times won't wait for peoples and there is no unfair issues here.All of them are in the competition with the outsiders and also among themselves.Who perform better deserves more care.Hope all of them will really do something,lets the results talks and proves everything.

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, i personally think it's a good move, the players should put the goals of their country ahead of their personal goals, especially for the olympics.

7. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    i think its a good move, but i personally would like to see Chan Chong Ming-Hoon Thien How included, because of their experience...

8. 4evercool

4evercool Regular Member

Ya i think this is a good decision not mean that rexy have misses the other players but he just focus on the players that he think is more siutable for winning the olympic gold medal

9. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I believe what Rexy is doing is correct. He can only provide so much close attention on coaching to a limited pairs. He is right to focusing on the pairs that are producing results.

For the other pairs, they must get their coach's attention by performing in the Opens when they are given the chance - afterall they must be in the high enough world ranking even for the coach to consider.

10. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    One main factors for KKK/TBH to improve is.. both always like to play a "Perfect games" . They not only aim to win in every single match.. But also wanna to win it win beautiful & perfect. They wan to win every's crowd's heart. They got the skills to excel into World's No. 1 top pair, but they must always bear in mind that , winning is greater than having a prefect games but lose it on merit

11. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    I hope Rexy can teach them some ways to handle their pressure...