User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Sure, you can hit the shuttle from between your legs...

...if you want to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerby View Post
    I'd like to see you clear it like that

It's funny when it works...but hardly a solution
    ok, that is just for laughs....
    as for me, i just drive the shuttle low and just over the net, either straight(which is easier) or crosscourt. more percentage of staying alive for next rally to win the point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Gollum has already pointed out a good drop shot is better than a poor clear.

Other thing to do is to try and work on your speed cross court so that you can get there a bit earlier and play a less demanding shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

As everyone already said... it's better to play a good, fast drop than a midcourt clear...

But I was wondering, what do you people do when this situation happens in doubles?

Of course... It should NOT happen because you should have less space to cover so you should always take a good around the head shot... But what if you get tricked? Or what if your partner does a bad serve and the opponents drive it back deep to your backhand corner?

I'm asking this because I have been in this situation a few times and I could not find a good solution to this problem.

In singles, the opponent usually positions himself for a down-the-line shot and closer to the net, but you can always do a crosscourt drive/drop ... But in doubles, if you hit that fast crosscourt drop, you could hit your partner, right? (Your contact point is pretty low so the drop has a flat trajectory...If your parner is in the center of the court, he will get hit). Also, a mid-court clear is pretty unforgivable as there is a player in the back ready to attack.

The down-the-line fast drop is still the best option left but since there is a player (that knows that the crosscourt option is complicated) waiting for your shot in front...the margin of error is pretty low.

Should you just try to hit the fast drop shot harder so that it lands in mid court without going too high over the net? (that seems pretty hard too...)
    Last edited by Mathieu; 09-03-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
    But what if you get tricked? Or what if your partner does a bad serve and the opponents drive it back deep to your backhand corner?
    Sometimes there is no good answer. It's like when someone asks, "how can I return my opponent's powerful smash from the midcourt?" Well, you can't, except by fluke. The trick is not to let him do that in the first place; and it's usually better to focus on building skills that prevent you from getting into terrible positions, rather than devising a desperate escape plan.

If the opponent drives it into your backhand corner, then your only hope is to intercept the drive before it reaches the back of the court. Otherwise your position is terrible. If your opponent lifts it and you can't play a forehand, then you must play a backhand, with much the same considerations as for singles.

But in doubles, if you hit that fast crosscourt drop, you could hit your partner, right? (Your contact point is pretty low so the drop has a flat trajectory...If your parner is in the center of the court, he will get hit).
    First, you should never deliberately lower the contact point to make the drop shot flatter or "more like a drive". There's no reason to do that. A fast drop does not require a lower contact point, but should be taken at full relaxed reach and hit downwards. The contact point is much the same as for a smash. As a general rule, you should always try to take the shuttle when it is higher, not lower. Don't wait for it to drop!

Second, you are not going to hit your partner unless (1) he stands too close to the net or (2) you are playing a desperation "drop shot" from down near your side. In this latter case, you're in a losing position anyway, and your partner should back off to defend the coming attack (so you can try that cross-court if you want). Anyway, doubles is a team game, and you have to trust your partner not to stand in the path of your best shots!

Should you just try to hit the fast drop shot harder so that it lands in mid court without going too high over the net? (that seems pretty hard too...)
    Yes, this can be a good option. It's not a smash, but the additional pace might get you out of trouble.

Again, focus on preventing situations where the shuttle is low on your backhand side in the rearcourt: they are losing situations. And, where possible, avoid playing backhand overheads at all in doubles from the rearcourt.
    Last edited by Gollum; 09-03-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if its quite high up and not too far behind, i suppose it would be possible to do a backhand smash which the opponent will not be expecting so therefore mite miss the return completely. This is only possible is the shuttle is not too far behind you thou + its a hard shot. Takes lot of practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In doubles, i go for whatever shot that has a good chance of getting over as long as it doesn;t give the opponent a chance to smash it back, and rely on my partner to play the return as if he/she was a singles player..., while I recover, because in doubles, your partner can theoretically return most shots the opponents hit, other than a smash :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about running away from the net and chasing after that shuttle which is already behind you (now in front of you because you are chasing after it while your back is facing the net now) and then do an underhand x-sweep, not straight sweep ? This is a desperate attempt though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    how about running away from the net and chasing after that shuttle which is already behind you (now in front of you because you are chasing after it while your back is facing the net now) and then do an underhand x-sweep, not straight sweep ? This is a desperate attempt though.
    Is this the move where, you use a panhandle grip and come from below the shuttle and flick the wrist to get the shuttle back over the net. I'm actually quite good at this shot but i do know it is a desperate attempt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gingerphil79: yes, that's what i was referring to. I am quite crap at this shot. I'm practising for this shot, purely because it looks cool plus the desperate attempt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

you r right monster, it looks really class especially when ur coach who ur playing against thinks he won the point and you do this shot but by the time he reacts, its too late hahahahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ginger: do u have any tips for training this shot? or just practice practice practice? or some sort of metaphor/analogue/lookalike motion I can tell my brain so that I can better program into my head? I just keep missing the shuttle. do you do it with your elbow almost horizontal to your shoulder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post How to do the backflick move

U are a bit stuck & the shuttle goes behind u, u have to get it back so you run after it with you back to the net. Try and run slightly to the side of it so you are not blocking the net with your body. Outreach ur arm to the shuttle, arm should be at shoulder height. The main action is the flick of the wrist so hold the racket with a panhandle grip & the arm is used a bit as well & from there its all about timing & practice.

The reason im good at it is because it got done to me so often so i got lots of practice.

Hope this helps.

(If you can do it, it is a good wee shot, looks good too. Only prob is your opponent will eventually be able to read it so make sure ur prepared 4 some fast replies!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2