BG-80 at 20lbs?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Nic, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    I want to restring my racquet but I am not sure what's the weight can my racquet takes.
    It is now string with the BG65 and I would like to restring it with Yonex BG-80, how many lb would you recommend? 20lb?

Thanks.

2. jon

jon Guest

what racquet? what type of player?
    ... try to ask questions with more specifics...

3. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    ProKennex Kinetic Ti XL, i am good at attack and considered intermediate.

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hi Joh,

Well I wouldn't consider using the BG-80 because it breaks easily and then the guage is not .68 which it's streched, it's actually thinner. I would use Gosen Roots B505 string which is equivalent and better than the BG-80 in terms of perforamcne and durability. This string is made with synthetic gut. In this case, I would recommend you to increase the tention of 20lb to about 22.75 because Gosen stretches a bit more and this will compensate for it and will be like 20lbs using a BG-80. The Roots string has a .68 guage when it's stretched so it last quite long before it breaks, and you won't see any kinds of "nicks" and stuff before it breaks, it just breaks, unlike the BG-80 where you see nicks.

5. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Hi Matt,

I supposed your message is for me?
    Anyway, thanks for the info.
    I was considering between Ashaway and Yonex string actually. After I read the review on the this forum, I thought I made a right decision. :p

6. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    go BG-80 22lbs , most players i know go with 22lb but some play at higher tensions

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hi,

I'm sorry, yeah that message was suppose to be for you but I forgot who the original poster was since I was reading Jon's message and thought he was the original poster. Well I don't know about Ashaway since I have not tried their string before so I cannot comment about it but I can only comment about Gosen and Yonex. Maybe try the Gosen string I recommended, I think you will like it. It's actually still the top of the line string for Gosen even thou Gosen is trying to market their Roots Aeromets and stuff like that.

8. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Regular Member

Management consultant
    After 75+ hours of play, my BG80 strung at 24lb on TiSP-SS broke. Not bad. I enjoy every hour of play. Good power and great sound. Control is not as great as other strings that I used before. BG80 doesn’t cost that much more than anything else. I was surprised that it lasted 75+ hours. I will put BG80 on my reacket again.

Cheers!

9. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Thanks all for all the info.
    I already bought the Gosen Root B505 and BG-80 to try out on both my racquets. ;)