SEA Games: Teik Chai-Woon Fui the only senior pair

Discussion in '2007 Tournaments' started by Inky2000, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

(What is your take on Malaysia's decision of not sending the top players to the SEA Games?)

The Star - 28 Aug 2007

Teik Chai-Woon Fui the only senior pair for Games

KUALA LUMPUR: Doubles shuttlers Gan Teik Chai and Lin Woon Fui received a boost when they were named as the only senior men’s pair in the Malaysian badminton team for the Korat SEA Games.

“This is a real surprise for me. I have been in the national team for a while now but it will be my first appearance in the SEA Games,” said the 24-year-old Teik Chai.

His only other major tournament was the World Championships in Madrid last year where he was an early round casualty with Fong Chew Yen in the mixed doubles.

“Woon Fui and I will be the top men’s pair in the team. There will be high hopes on us and we will prove that we can be counted on in both the team and individual events,” said the Kedahan.

They forged a combination in April and reached the semi-finals of the Thailand Open last month.

The Project 2010-2012 squad’s chief coach Rashid Sidek said that besides Teik Chai-Woon Fui, the only other senior player in the SEA Games squad is Kuan Beng Hong.

“We will send a total of nine men and 10 women for the Games and the rest of the players will come from the back-up squad.

“I have until the end of next month to name them and selection will be based on their performances in several upcoming Open tournaments,” said Rashid.

For the men’s singles, among the frontrunners for places are Vietnam and Asian satellite winner Tan Chun Seang, Chan Kwong Beng and Asian Junior runner-up Mohd Arif Abdul Latif.

A prominent pair set to make their debut in the Korat Games are the Asian junior mixed doubles champions Tan Wee Kiong-Woon Khe Wei.
    It will be the first time that Malaysia will send a mixed team of seniors and back-up squad players to the SEA Games.

2. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Hopes Chan Hung Peng/Chan Peng soon eventually will get selected as second MD pair...

3. hyu =)

hyu =) Regular Member

hahaha!!! i saw that article this morning too! i was like: oh my gosh! woon fui-teik chai is going for sea games!!! I WANNA GO SUPOPRT THEM!!! woon fui-teik chai~

anyway. back to the topic. actually, it's kind of wise you know, if you come to think about it. cos the super series finals starts on 18th dec, which is like right after the sea games, and kkk-tbh and lww-ctf will probably qualify for it. so it's better not to overwork them. esp since there are both the team AND individual events to play for in the sea games.

plus, it will be good exposure for the younger players! =) soooooo... a rather wise decsion!

and i'm sure woon fui-teik chai will do malaysia proud!!! they have the potential to be a star doubles. so this sea games will be good exposure and experience for them too! =)

4. yannie

yannie Regular Member

actually coaches already have decided which backup players to send to sea games.. it's just that they didn't announce it to the public yet.. so wait and see.. ^^

5. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

I like to know who they have picked? can tell?

6. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    If can tell yannie will tell already la :D

We wait & see :cool:

MJs!! *yiha

7. Noridayu

Noridayu Regular Member

Childcare Teacher
    Dear members,

As a Malaysian fans, I am glad that they are sending our project 2010 players along with some seniors. It is actually good exposure for my dearest youngsters to prove that they are ready to take up the challenge. I believe that our juniors will might us proud.Do not underestimate the project 2010 players as they are expose to satellite tournaments. I am very confident as I always support them in their events.I know all the juniors.