Lin Dan vs. Peter Rasmussen head 2 head?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ye333, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Dear all, I thought LD and PR are similar in many categories, fast, powerful, left-handed, with leathal smashes. I am wondering what is their head 2 head? I searched the BWF website, it says PR beat LD in 1999 China Open (!!! What the hell? LD was just like 16). I also watched two games of 2002 Thomas cup in which LD win both (but don't know the result of the whole match)

Really appreciate it if anyone can provide information on this!

2. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant

Maybe its possible, Taufik reach the All-england final when he was 17.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    PR and LD are players of two different times. LD matured near 2003 when PR well faded by then.

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

In fact, if I remember correctly, LD reached World No.1 under the 7-pt system, then he was down for a while when the score system changed back to 15 pts. PR won European championship under the same 7-pt score system, so their eras did overlap a bit. :cool:

Anyway, such head 2 heads can be interesting. For example, BWF website shows Taufik leading 2:1 to both Dong Jiong and Hendrawan, which quite surprise me. :eek:

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    PR was at or near his prime in 1999 (PR won the 1997 WC MS) while LD was just a junior. Not really a fair comparision. Case in point, i have won some MS games against a national player (#2 MS, #1 MD of canada) before but i am not disclosing both our age at that time LOL

#5 cooler, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  6. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

It's rarely useful to compare the head-to-head records of two great players. The definition of greatness is usually borne through championships of which there can only be one champion in any given era. No one recalls the bridesmaids as any of the truly greats. So while we may recall Peter Gade to be a terrifically talented player and wonder what might have been had it not been for his injuries, we will not remember him as one of the true greats of the game.

Since it is very rare to find two greats in the same era (consider all of the debates in the past year as to who is the superior player-- Lin Dan or Taufik Hidayat-- the general populace only wishes to acknowledge one; not two greats) head-to-head comparisons between greats can usually only be made when one player is either too inexperienced/undeveloped or the other player is too old.

What can be observed is how great players played at their peak. It is tough enough, impossible I would say, to play at one's peak for a year much less for a career. Watching great players at their peak, one can see how they transcend the game turning it into the purest of art forms and how this would be the case irrespective of who their opponent was.

In this sense, Taufik Hidayat and Lin Dan played in different eras. Taufik is a great who will be remembered for his superior all-around game who had no weaknesses at his peak (though many will remember his backhand smash). Lin Dan is approaching greatness and if he achieves it, he will be remembered for his incredible desire to get better at the game. It's rare to see someone at the top (in the rankings at least) for the last few years possess both the desire and courage to improve. Some are gifted to be able to transcend the game while others must work at it. Most are never even able to glimpse transcendance of the game and think only of how to defeat all their opponents to reach the top.

Peter Rasmussen was the greatest player I've ever seen. I do not think anyone in the history of the game to date could have defeated him when he was at his peak. Though he was unable to enjoy longevity in the sport, he achieved transcendency of the game that few top players ever do. As they say: greatness is often fleeting-- thought brief, we appreciate it for what it is and while it lasts.

I think I have a pretty good idea. You were probably 25 at the time and he was... hmm... 3 years of age. My only questions are: How many hundreds of times did you play him before the breakthrough (and did you allow him nap times between matches) and how many 2-4s did you funnel into him before the matches?

7. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

What is this? Rocky 6?

8. Omegamiko

Omegamiko Regular Member

I'm a student, doing webdesign and a badminton equ
    LD Approaching greatness? I wouldn't call winning two World Championships in a row, with almost every other title save the Olympic games under his belt "approaching greatness..." I wouldn't say just cause Peter Rasmussen is classified as great, LD isn't...cause seeing his games...he's already an amazing player who keeps getting more and more amazing.

9. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    1999 was LD's first year in senior event