How to clean shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Cheung, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    OK, I know this is gonna sound wierd.....

how do people clean their shoes?

I have seen people stick their shoes in a washing machine (in a laundrette). Is this common? (BTW, I'm honestly not the sort of person who goes around sticking his nose in other people's washing. Please believe me! :) )

2. SHOESSSSSSSS

SHOESSSSSSSS Guest

OMG I was thinking of the same question a few days ago.. lol but that was because I kinda dirtied my nike shox! but not badminton related:p Since i dont play badminton with those hehe.

3. Bystander

Bystander Guest

You can put your shoes in the washing machine and it does work. But please do not swith on the heat dryer function especially for the Nike shoes. I did it before and the air pad blow up like a balloon and could not recover after cooling down.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    usually if you are using a washing machine, do not use the spin dry option since the position of the shoe in the tub will most likely cause awkward spin and could damage the washer motor (if you are using a coin-operated, i guess you might not concern yourself with that). also spin dry of the shoe is relatively useless if the sole is facing outward, the water will still be trapped inside the shoe. if you have a removable liner - do so, also take the laces off as well. some people recommend placing the shoe in a mesh bag - in prevents the tongue from being pulled during the wash process and tearing.

some dryers have a removable rack that is mounted on the dryer door for drying shoes or other hard items so that there is no tumbling causing damage either to the dryer or to the shoe. (again, if it's coin-op do you really care) they only recommend low or no heat, not because of rubber melting, but heat ages the rubber sole hardening it so it becomes useless on court.

5. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    I tried to use the washing machine to wash my badminton shoes when I was in high school and it spoilt my shoes, furthermore it didn't clean my shoes as much as I used hand wash.
    So, I tried not to be so lazy anymore and wash my shoes "manually" with the soap and brush and "my hands".

SomeoneElse likes this.
  6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    That's freaky. I did mine today for the first time in 4 months!. I use Cif which is a bathroom cleaning product. It seems to work really well.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wow, people really do put badminton shoes in the washing machine. It seems much more common than I thought.

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    actually no - i've never washed my badminton shoes. i've had to wash joggers, cross trainers and hikers usually because i stomped into something yucky, which is why i know how to wash shoes... but never done badminton shoes....yet...

9. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Mine still look pretty white! Maybe a bit of a stench!

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    hmmm.... maybe not need to wash, just buy some of those sneaker deodorizer balls...heheheheh ;-)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i have to admit i do that too on the 2 pairs of nike i got.
    The selection (3 models) of yonex shoes in canada are poor. I don't like any of them.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i tried putting it in a washing machine. it does look a bit cleaner. but it doesn't get rid of the..... erm.... smell.

i wonder if anyone else has tips on how to really clean a pair of badminton shoes well.

SomeoneElse likes this.
  13. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i once tried to wash my Nike runners in the washer...
    it was horridenous, it was one of those Air shoes with practically 90% of the sole was bubble.. the foam sole was worn out, it was soggy and wet, there was water inside the Air pockets and the sole and foam started to come apart.. in the end, the shoes were in shabbles and the foam rotted off... maybe it's just with nike though =P

SomeoneElse likes this.
  14. Vdz

Vdz Regular Member

Re: Re: How to clean shoes?

I got exactly the same situation with Nic so since then I do by hand with soap and hard brush

15. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

What i've always done is put the pair in the washing machine at opposite ends, and without clothes. It might be a good idea to skip to spin. Then I put the badminton shoes in front of my 24 inch box fan :)

this was during the summer so the fan was on anyway. It was perfectly dry after half a day, and felt perfect.

16. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    tips - only wear your badminton shoes indoor and on court. ;)

about the smell, I do use the deodorizer balls to get rid of it, but somehow i think the smell from the balls is too strong.

17. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

when i wash my shoes in the washing machine. i put towels too, that's what my mom says to do and when i take them out. POOF...it's all clean, then i just let it dry for 3 days =/, that's the bad part.

18. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    My badminton shoes never gets dirty, since I only wear them in in door gym.
    As far as the smell...I heard you can try to put dry tea bags in it, that should get rid of the smell. Just remember not to recycle the tea bags...:p

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i just bought a bottle of these. Dr. Scholl's "Odor Destroyers Shoe Shot® Powder"

will let you guys know how that pans out..

Attached Files:

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah, I used tea bags for my shoes, I think it works great.

Plus, I never use washing machine to wash my shoes. Once it getting really dirty, I just use a brush (and some cheap soap) to wash it in the sinc.