Venue of Major events

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Dec 9, 2000.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Apparently there is going to be another World Championships held in England.

The trend seems to be Thomas and Uber cups played in Asia (natural since asian countries have dominated the event and the crowds are tremendous).

World championships played in Europe. With another World Champs in England, that would mean three time in ten years (Birmingham '93, Glasgow '97, Birmingham '03).

Is this excessive? Do we not want to increase the popularity of the game? Then staging a major event in North America (probably Toronto) would be nice.

I'm not saying that we should completely eliminate Europe but have a bit more variety. Am I being unreasonable?

2. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    As a North American, I think Toronto would be a great idea. the only problem I see is that the host city has to provide certain things, at least that's the way it is for other big events. This might be a good project for Canada and the US to work on together, trying to convince the local political powers to host a badminton tournament.