Lin Dan's Gripping style

Discussion in 'Grip' started by - duongalex, Sep 4, 2007.

1. - duongalex

- duongalex Regular Member

student
    Hey i been trying to get more power and holding near the bottom produces that... but every now and then i start moving my hands near the top because im use tooo it...and not getting any power.. and then i read lin dan does his gripping style soo that he always holds the bottom.. and i was wondering if i should try that...any sugguestion? maybe with a super grap instead of towel?? thanks=)

2. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

each player has different strokes. what works for lin dan may not work for you, vice versa

3. chgoh25

chgoh25 Regular Member

you can try it.. and let us know how it feels :D

4. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

This kind of gripping style only good for single game play but definitely not for doubles game play because you need to change your gripping style extremely fast in doubles and that will hurt your thumb a lot.

5. jeeves

jeeves Regular Member

I put a "bulge" at the bottom of my racket to prevent it from slipping off. It's also a "placeholder" (for lack of a better word) to mark the bottom of the racket so you know exactly where to grip it when you're shifting. (I'll take a pic one of these days and post it here.)

Also handy when you need to make the transition from panhandle grip in front to a forehand "Power" grip moving back-court.

6. dungzzz

dungzzz Regular Member

student
    my advice, jus play with ur own style. maybe its suitable for him and not suitable for you. anyways, its just my opinion :)

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    if you've seen Lin Dan's grip, you'll understand why he holds it so low. he's forced to cos the top half is bare wood. it's done to force him to hold it lower for more power. before this was done, he held it relatively high, like a doubles player. lower gives you more power, but much harder to control. however, as he is a pro, he can control it superbly no matter what grip, so he'll naturally go for more power. for us mortals, a standard grip is better

8. fallout

fallout Regular Member

I tried this for two month, and it does help you grip lower on the racket. I didn't really see much increase in power but lost a lot of control as it really changes the balance of your racket. I thought it was a good experience, now I have a longer extension since a grip lower, my guess is power will come eventually.

9. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    um i allways hold my racket as low as i can in tennis and badminton, more power for sure, also more reach, i don't change grips when i make a drop shot like some people. i hold it so the butt is firmly touching the bottom of my hand.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It really depends on players. For Lindan's case. He have a strong arm and wrist. Therefore he wants to make a habit of holding the racket low for better reach as well as power. Instead of putting your thumb on the cone, you can put it on the wood. Once you are used to it, it really doesnt bother your fingers. I have his and Taufik's racket. Both have same gripping style. Just that Lindan's is lower.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Why wonder about it? Try it and tell us how it goes for you:D!

12. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    LD's gripping style n so does his racket grip is unique.Different from other players.But i guess it's because he's used to it,n like it that way.U may learn to grip like him,but doesnt mean u will play better that way.It's all about u,what kind of gripping that u'd enjoy the most.More enjoy u grip,more better u'll play.