What grip do you use for Drives?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by markburry_90, Sep 5, 2007.

1. markburry_90

markburry_90 Regular Member

Hey,
    Just wondering, What grip does everyone use for drives?

I have always been taught to use the backhand grip, with thumb on the back etc.

However,
    I see in Lee Jae Bok's videos he teaches players to switch from a pan-handle to neutral to backhand, etc. depending on where the shuttle is coming from.

Isn't all this "switching of grips" a waste of very Valuable milliseconds of time?

Since drives are so fast-paced, won't you get beaten easily by your opponent if you are changing grip all the time?

If you use the backhand grip, it is possible to reach and respond well to any shot at any angle with the exception of a few anomalies.

Just looking for your thoughts on the subject.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    The shuttle can come to you in all angles, one type of grip will only be effective in a certain angle and give certain returns. LJB favors the neutral grip cuz it's the 'equi-centre' of grips, just like in singles you always try to go back to center position to defend.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, it's not. Changing grips allows you to play a better shot.

No, it's not. The thumb grip ("backhand grip") is not effective for drives on your forehand side: you'll probably hit it out at the side. For those, you need a panhandle grip. The angles of the thumb and panhandle grips are different.

Bear in mind that good players will test your ability to cover both sides, by playing (say) a drive to your backhand followed by a drive to your forehand. If they notice that you can only defend well on one side, then you're in trouble. Weaker players won't notice this, or won't be accurate enough to exploit it.

Also, note that the full thumb and panhandle grips are the extremes of a range of grip positions. In reality, you'll normally want a grip that is not-quite-thumb-grip (backhands) or not-quite-panhandle (forehands). Consequently, the difference in angle between your forehand and backhand grips for drives is even greater.

Remember too that we're talking about half-court drives here -- where the shuttle is in front of your body. When the shuttle is at the side of your body, a basic "neutral" grip as described by Lee will be better.

#3 Gollum, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  4. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    it depends on who's coaching you. I am currently being taught to use different grips for certain shots. The other coach teaches one grip for all shots.

I am starting to get used to the various grips approach....

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

1. You need to change your grip, while you are moving. Predict your opponent's stroke will be another advantage to make up the fraction of a second you need.

2. Need to practice how to change grip quickly. Myself sometimes holding a racket and keep changing grip when I am watching TV. I found out it does help in a long run.

3. Try to force opponent to place the shot in your favorable spot (i.e. less chance to change grip), rather than moving you all over the place effectively.

markburry_90 likes this.
  6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Surely not! :eek:

One grip for every shot? The same grip for a forehand smash as a backhand serve?

Or are you just talking about drives?

markburry_90 likes this.
  7. markburry_90

markburry_90 Regular Member

I understand where you're coming from, but in my experience a player using a backhand grip when doing drives is able to cover all shots much better than if he/she was changing grip all the time. With the exception of the extreme forehand drive, where you would have to change to a more neutral grip, I really don't see where a panhandle grip would be useful, nor would a player be able to generate as much shuttle speed with the pan-handle grip. I guess overall I think the panhandle grip is a weak grip, and it's a very poor situation to be in if your opponent knows how to create pressure.

For example, I recently watched this video on youtube. If you notice when Rexy is feeding Nathan very fast downward shuttles, Nathan makes no effort to revert back to a neutral grip after every shot. He has no time to do this, so instead, he keeps using a backhand grip, and is able to effectively cover every shot with this grip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xNIc7i4f_mE

PS: Sorry to argue so much, I just really think what I'm saying is valid. :)

8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

He may be able to cover every shot, but what about his shot options from those positions?

With each grip you'll have a certain selection of placements within your control. If you use a fixed grip, the types of returns you're able to make will be fixed too. In that video, the point of the exercise is to overload the player's defense with an extremely high pace. In this case, simply getting it over is the objective, for he isn't in a position to make plays. If he had more time, however, he would be able to make subtle adjustments to his grip in order to play those shots he wants to play.

9. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i try to do forehand most of the time, just plain forehand or slightly universal overhand grip. i'll end up crouching so i can do overhead shots, and around the shots are what i try to do. i attempt to minimize the backhands if possible. but you'll have to be doing everything, or atleast trying all types of grips to cover every situation you'll be in...

10. jeeves

jeeves Regular Member

For drives, panhandle grip with your grip higher than usual. Panhandle because you can cover a bigger range of forehand and backhand ranges. (though in getting the backhand shots, you'll have to really bend). Higher than usual, because you need quicker reaction times than usual but not much backswing/power.

Nice way to warm up. Drives really get you pumped up

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Panhandle is only good when you're taking the shuttle way at the front, etc... like tapping down at the net. If the opponent hits to your sides, you're gonna be in trouble.

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Backhand grip is good if you're expecting shots aim at your body. To say that changing grip during play is too much work is like saying breathing is too much work:p. All pros change their grips during rallies all the time. They just move so fast and react so fast that you would think they're playing with a fixed grip.

Rexy is a doubles legend and god... nobody played and trained like him.

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You need to think about the situations a bit more carefully. There are many different situations where you can play a drive. For example:
    1. Drive at the side of your body (normally to and from rear-midcourt/rearcourt, most commonly hit straight down the tramlines).
    2. Half-court drives: in the midcourt, shuttle well in front of your body, often hitting straight at the opponent. Often both sides will exchange a flurry of half-court drives, ending with one side getting an attack. You don't necessarily need to hit the shuttle very hard, just early and accurately.
    3. Drive from the net (for example, service return).
    4. Drive played as response to a smash.
    These are all very different situations.

(1) At the side of your body, a basic grip ("forehand grip", or "neutral grip") is best. This is necessary to present a flat racket face towards the net (otherwise you tend to hit out at the side). For backhands, you may prefer to place the thumb on the diagonal bevel, but the grip angle is the same.

(2) For half-court drives, you need to use a panhandle grip for forehands and a thumb grip for backhands. In the middle, there is an area of overlap where you can use either. Try to return to a basic ("neutral") grip after each shot, so that you're ready for both sides. If you bias towards one side, your opponents should hit at the other side and gain the attack.

You cannot always do this. Sometimes, you will just not have time to change grip. Also, there are occasions where you know that your opponent can only play one angle; then you can prepare your grip before he hits the shuttle.

The shorter you can make your racket swing, the easier it will be to change grips.

You don't need much power, just a sharp, early, accurate reaction. Indeed, it is often tactically sound to take some pace off the shuttle so that it drops below net height before your opponent can hit it.

(3) For a drive from the net, you will also be hitting the shuttle from well in front of your body. Therefore you need to move towards a thumb grip for backhands and a panhandle grip for forehands.

From the net, you need hardly any swing at all.

(4) For smash defence, you may choose a neutral grip to be equally ready for both sides, or bias somewhat towards a thumb grip, with the idea of playing most returns on your backhand. Waiting with a full thumb grip, as for a backhand net kill or serve, would be a mistake: this locks your wrist too much and makes it difficult to play good height/length lifts.

For the drive returns of smash, it's sometimes helpful to adopt a full thumb grip -- but only after your opponent hits the smash, and if you have time to switch. Waiting for the smash with a full thumb grip is very committing, because you more-or-less forfeit the option to play a lift, and you completely forfeit the option to use a forehand action.

When you get the chance, crouch defence requires a panhandle grip (or occasionally a thumb grip). Here, you are committed to playing a counter-attacking shot (crouch defence is not good for lifting). Normally crouch defence is adopted after the smash is hit (as with the full thumb grip, it's very committing).

The panhandle grip has its place. You are quite right that panhandling limits the power of your shots; this is one reason that you should avoid it for (say) smashes. But many situations do not require much power, and the panhandle grip gives the correct angle of the racket face.

What makes you think he is using a "backhand" thumb grip?

I have the DVD from which that clip comes, and as far as I can see, Nathan uses a basic grip, perhaps with a slight shift in the direction of the thumb grip. He is certainly not using a full thumb grip. Just because you see a straight thumb does not mean it's a "backhand" thumb grip! It could be a basic ("forehand") grip, or a bevel grip (same as "forehand", but thumb along the diagonal bevel).

The thumb grip ("backhand grip") is held at a distinctly different angle from the basic/bevel grip (about 70 - 80 degrees different). Yet, because of variations in the way the wrist is used, these grips often appear exactly the same. You're picking up on misleading visual cues (straight thumb).

These grips are easily conflated, but they are different.

#13 Gollum, Sep 7, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I should mention that not every half-court drive requires a thumb grip or panhandle grip. There are exceptions.

Sometimes, when the shuttle is higher than net height, you can play a faster-paced drive -- like a very flat smash. To get the power, use a slightly longer swing with a grip closer to "forehand" (a basic grip). Obviously this requires slightly more backswing, so more time.

In a typical "sparring for the attack" half-court drive exchange, however, you won't have time for this and also the shuttle may drop below net height.

15. korendir07

korendir07 Regular Member

Driver
    Instinctive...

I think with some players especially pros, switching grips becomes instinctive.. They will switch grips without even thinking about it.. I'm not a pro, far from it and when I'm playing, I'll notice that my grip changes from a forehand to a backhand grip without thinking about it...

Although, I'm not entirely sure if the racquet face is even in the right direction.. Heh... :eek:

As for the pan-handle grip.. I saw a video on YouTube about one of those CCTV lessons.. It's the one in which the lady is training the person.. I'm too lazy to go searching for it and providing a link... Anyways, she trains the guy in relaxing the grip so that there is a whole lot of space between the butt and the palm of your hand. Just before impact, you close up your grip tightly.. I am not sure how that would work with a smash/clear with Phil's account of using forearm pronation/supination. I think it would be perfect for a pan-handle grip move... Wrist flick with fingers closing... It'll make the shuttle go fast and not necessarily use power...

Just my 2 cents...

16. huynd

huynd Regular Member

My favorite grip for drives is the bevel grip (like Gollum described earlier - a forehand grip with thumb on the bevel). The ideal contact place when using this grip is slightly behind the body for backhand side, and slightly in front of the body for forehand side. In either case, the grip allows quite an amount of pronation/supination, which is good for power. My timing and reflex are not good enough so I end up slicing quite often. A full thumb grip may make it easier to control the racket face upon contact with the shuttle, and probably is better for drives when you are somewhat in a defensive side. However, I still prefer the bevel grip. You know, winning a point by a powerful backhand drive and straight to my opponent's body feels good, :D

17. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Exactly, if you're thinking about how to perform a technique as you're doing it, then you're not doing it right. It's like when I used to play the piano, if I was playing something technically difficult in front of other people, the one thing I couldn't do was think about the notes. It is tempting to do so, but as soon as did, I would get out of the flow and be prone to making mistakes.

18. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I just panhandle, forehand, and thumb...forehand to drive fast on the right, backhand for the right, and closer to the body on the left, and panhandle for everything else...

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

I find that it's easier to think in terms of the racquet face's direction when switching grips. Most important thing is to keep your racquet extended out front as far and comfortable as you can, that way you only have to do small movement to place the return comparing to keep your racquet close to you in a classic backhand defense.