Playing w/ a sprained ankle

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by krisyay, Sep 8, 2007.

1. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

hey guys, im kinda bored so i thought id share my lil badminton story

So i started my day off with some footwork drills at an empty court; unfortunately, i was working myself a lil too hard i guess and sprained my previously injured ankle =\. While it wasnt that bad, it still bothered me so i put on my old ankle brace for most of the day when i had classes and stuff. I promised my frd id play badminton w/ her today so i since i could still walk and stuff, i thot i mite as well give it a go. Surprisingly, i felt i played better than i normally did o_O (at the back anyways, i cant keep up when im up at net lol). Strangely enough, i seemed to find myself minimizing movement yet getting to the bird at the rite time. Dont really understand why i play better w/ a screwed ankle, but its kinda interesting haha.

anyone else ever experience a situation like that? haha

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The treatment for a sprained ankle is RICE: rest, ice, compression bandaging, and elevation above the level of the heart.

At the least, you should rest and ice the ankle. It is most unwise to play on a recently sprained ankle. The first three days (approximately) after the injury are especially important, because this is the period of initial inflammatory response.

You should also take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen.

Please see sense and take care of your body, before you give yourself a permanent injury.

3. maryanne

maryanne Regular Member

You may be able to get away with it now, but eventually, the strength of your ankle will deteriorate. Listen to Gollum-- rest, ice, compression and elevation. Won't kill you to stop playing for a bit of time

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    It is not uncool to lay off badminton (or any sports) when you're injured.

It'll be terribly uncool to be unable to do badminton (or any sports) because you thought you're indestructible.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i did that before. and while i could play for the rest of the day, by night time, my ankle was swollen to as big as a tennis ball.

to be honest, up to this day, i am not sure if it was a wise thing to do, but after a couple of years, the ankle have completely healed.

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i sprained my ankle earlier this year. perhaps more than 18 weeks ago. i rested for about 2-3 weeks and started badminton again. btw, i did not sprain whilst playing badminton. back to the point, over the course of 15 weeks or so playing badminton, i did have some "relapses" (not sprain but some really scary stuff).
    there was pain when i did some shots (not constantly, its more like a one time thing) eg playing a net kill and had pain in my ankle. after that i never felt that again.
    oh ya, and throughout that 15 weeks, i wore an ankle support while playing.

recently i played soccer but forgot to wear an ankle support. no pain whatsoever. was a bit worried though. am still going to continue wearing an ankle support while playing badminton for quite some time.

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

8. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    I'd like to share something similar but not exactly similar

For me it was AFTER the long period of rest, when i resumed my sessions. For the next couple of months, i did not really jump much as I still have some 'trauma' to jumping. I expected this transition to screw my timing but it didn't. In fact this 'back to basics' phase seemed to help me refine some of my strokes.

But i still wonder whether i was just subconsciously consoling myself, or maybe just my own illusion :( it's been a year now.....and i can jump pretty ok but my left ankle is evidently weaker. Though there isn't anymore pain, my left leg still feels more strain than my right after training.

and yea.....my advice is rest well

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The extent of rest needs to be managed carefully.

In the first three days, complete rest (no weight bearing) is ideal.

Afterwards, return to light activity (not badminton) as soon as possible. Start with very gentle, brief walking, and gradually build up. Following a sprain, joints need to be kept mobile to reduce the formation of scar tissue.

Listen to your body. If an activity causes you lots of pain, it's probably bad for you. You can expect mild pain throughout recovery, however.

Later on (perhaps after a few weeks), you can gradually return to badminton, but you must be careful and avoid being competitive. Don't try to move too fast. You should probably wear a brace during badminton.

It's a balance: too much activity, and you risk spraining the ankle again, adding injury to injury; too little, and you risk scar tissue setting like concrete around your joint.

#9 Gollum, Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  10. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

my ankle feels pretty ok actually (compared to my first sprain); in this case, i can still walk perfectly fine and such whereas last time i had to use crutches for weeks....could be because this time i immediately iced and elevated it....nonetheless, thx for the concern guys i guess ill take it easy for a while =]