Recommendation for new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by magicsushi, Sep 8, 2007.

1. magicsushi

magicsushi Regular Member

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on buying a new racket.

A little bit of info: I usually play twice a week and 90% of the time it's doubles. I've been playing like this for roughly two years or so. I would consider myself of an intermediate skill level. I currently have a Yonex MP33 which has served me well but I feel it's time for an upgrade.

My playing strengths are probably my quick reactions which makes me good around the net and returning smashes but I also enjoy playing drops from the rear of the court. Basically I'm more of a 'touch' player (if that makes sense?) than powerful hitter but that's not to say I'm defensive as such. I enjoy carefully placing shots and would say I'm an offensive player though I'm comfortable defending. One of my major weaknesses is my smash which is ok but not great. I have a feeling that some of this confidence based and it's something I intend to really work on.

The MP33 I've been using was strung with BG85 about six months or so back and I quite like the string though I think I should have had it strung higher (It was strung at 24) and I noticed it seem to lose tension relatively quickly.

Money isn't too much of an issue, largely because of how little (at least compared to the majority of people here) I play and for the same reasons durabaility isn't a major concern. From what I've read on the forums, I like the sound of the AT-900T

Any advice you could give me on rackets and strings that might go well with the style of play I've described would be greatly appreciated. I hope I've given enough information. If not please ask and I'll happily clarify/expand on this post

Many thanks

2. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

New ti-10 would be an option.
    Also Ns9000s.
    Both are very easy to use, and very manouverable.

See if you can demo them.

3. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    The first thing I have to say is that the Yonex MP-33 is a splendid racquet, one of the best intermediate racquets Yonex has produced for its price, easy to use, generates more than adequate power, good control, and overall, a great racquet. If yours is still in good/great condition, either use it to the max, or store it in a safe place, since YY hasn't made the 33 in 4 years (pushing for 5 now) ;) .

I'd agree with your reasoning in the AT-900T, it's a head heavy racquet (though not too steep) and a superb all-rounder with excellent control/defense and recovery, while giving players that extra push in offensive capability known for in all Armortecs. Easy to use, and doesn't really have much of a weakness anywhere, try it for that extra ounch of power and see if it floats your boat.

A similar upgrade to the MP-33 is the MP-99, which is somewhat of an old racquet now, but a strong contender nonetheless. For many, the MP-99 is the standard all-rounder from Yonex to compare to, it is even balanced, has good defense, solid offensive capability, and also easy to use. Both the AT-900T and MP-99 are strong racquets, the AT is for that small touch of power as I said before, while the MP for everything else.

You can try the CAB-30MS too, it's very similar to the MP-99 except for its oval head (giving a small boost in power), but you may not be fully adjusted to go from a square ISO head to oval, so take caution if you try this one out.

In my opinion these 3 racquets are all all-rounders, but going from most power to most control, I would have to say:

AT-900T > CAB-30MS/AT-500 (debatable here, just my opinion) > MP-99

There's also the AT-500, an even more balanced (and cheaper too!) alternative to the AT-900T, you would say it's the Armortec line's version of the MP-99 while still keeping that head heavy property in there (900T is more head heavy than AT-500 and stronger, the 500 is more maneauverable).

Lastly, as said from, the post above me, you can try the new Ti-10 (the old version is all-out offensive, head heavy and not an easy racquet to use) and NS-9000S, both more headlight (the NS being the most headlight), and speedy control racquets. These last two are more defensive/control racquets in contrast to the ones I mentioned before, which are balanced to slightly offensive racquets.

As for strings, you can't really go wrong with any, but common Yonex strings known for good performance would be BG-85, BG-80, BG-66 (geared for power/repulsion, lacks durability to some extent), BG-68Ti (good durability and power, doesn't feel as crisp when you hit with it though), and the newer Nanogy 98 (haven't tried this, but I've heard good things from it).

Other good brands for strings with great reputations would be Karakal and Ashaway for example, there are many others with good strings.

As you've noticed, I'm mainly a Yonex bandwagoner, but there are also other high quality racquets from other brands at a fraction of the cost for a Yonex, maybe someone can help you with those, or try them out if you have the time, hope I could help, ;) .

#3 Midget_Boy, Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  4. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    From your description, the AT900T and NS9000S will suit your playing style quite well, both are not too stiff, AT900T will give you slightly more power being slightly more head heavy. Both are very fast and great for control typed play. I'd recommend it to string with BG85 or NBG98, both very repulsive strings. BG 85 has more control but NBG98 is more durable.

5. wakloo69

wakloo69 Regular Member

librarian
    Go for Carlton Powerflo 2007 series or RSL Millenium 7 series.

6. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    You could also give some SOTX rackets a try. You could try a Woven 8 for great all around play, or a Woven 7 for power play.

7. magicsushi

magicsushi Regular Member

Thanks ever so much for the suggestions and info. I'm going to give the AT900T a try this week and see how it goes