Canadian Open 2007

Discussion in '2007 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Sep 8, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Greetings,

Not much has been mentioned about the Canadian Open 2007.

Here is some news......

============ start article ============

Clint Walper,
    The StarPhoenixPublished: Saturday, September 08, 2007

Some of Canada's best birds have been grounded, while others continue to soar.

Heading into semifinal action Friday night at the Canadian Open badminton championship, one Canadian singles player and three doubles pairs remained in contention at the Riverside Badminton and Tennis Club.

In men's doubles, top-seeded William Milroy and Mike Beres of Canada were set to face unseeded Keisuke Kawaguchi and Katsuhito Sakurai of Japan. Milroy and Beres, ranked 24th in the world, appear to have the inside track, but the Japanese have strung together a number of upsets this week.

"The biggest surprise has been Japan's team," said Frank Gaudet, tournament chair and executive director of Badminton Saskatchewan. "We knew they would likely be strong, but they were really unknown and I didn't realize how strong they would be."

In women's doubles, Canada's Fiona Mckee and Charmaine Reid, the top seeds, were beaten by Korea's Yun Hwa Lee and Jae Youn, while second-seeded Huang Bing and Chloe Magee of Ireland Jun lost to Hyun Hee Joo and Seul Ki Oh of Korea.

An all-Canadian final is the marquee matchup when finals start at 10 a.m. today. In mixed doubles, Beres and Valerie Loker face Milroy and Tammy Sun. Milroy and Sun knocked off Japan's Seiko Yamada and Sakurai in a three-set match, while Beres and Loker defeated Rie Eto and Kawaguchi in the other semifinal.

Andrew Dabeka, seeded fourth, was still alive in men's singles, but faced a daunting opponent in Malaysia's Tseun Seng Lee, the No. 1 seed, in the semis.

Canada's top ranked women's singles player, Anna Rice. Rice, ranked 22 in the world, was beaten by Japan's Yun Hwa Lee.

"It's disappointing, definitely," said Rice. "I played her last week at the U.S. Open and was just coming back from an injury and wasn't happy at all with my play. I gave a much better performance this time, but I just made a few too many errors to really threaten her."

============ end article ============

Cheers... chris@ccc

#1 chris-ccc, Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    good find chris. It wasn't well publicized. I see that there were many oversea players came to this tournament. Maybe a stop over after the US Open;)

3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Still dominated by Japanese and Korean in women department.....I hope Andrew can challenge LTS...otherwise it could be another title for LTS....

Andrew will play again in JO but LTS will skip JO to rest ( thats what he told me so far)....

4. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    It seems LTS will take a title here again after defeating Andrew dabeka.
    Again All Korean final in WS as well as WD....

5. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    for me, Lee TS is a fighter .. I remember how he manage to dashed Chinese hopes in TC by defeating Bao. It was a great match....

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Jun Jae Youn plays doubles now, eh? Guess her injuries were severe enough to keep her from singles.

The difference in badminton development within Canada and rest of the world is just night and day. Canadian Open is really a joke given the measly amount of winnings alotted to the winners.

7. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    But it is a good works for a countries with ICE Hockey as its national prime sports to held a Badminton Tournaments. I would like to salute CANADA BA for their great effort.

8. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I would like to see Canada to offer greater prize money to GP level, at least US$ 50,000.00....Canada has more fund than USA.

9. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Wow LTS won again....congratulations....9000 points for 2 tourneys..not bad, equal to almost 1 SS title...

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    This time: Lee Hyun Hwa won so Canadian took 2 titles ( XD and MD)
    Korean took 2 titles ( WS and WD) and MAS took one for MS...

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    badminton to use be more popular in canada than in the US.(i mean 1970-1990's) but it had subsided. In 1992 and 1993 cdn opens, we got camilla martin, poul erik larsen, foo kok kong, cheah Soon Kit/Soo Beng Kiang coming to play. Because of size, we now need the US to popularize badminton in north america. Our mike beres, Milroy brothers, Andrew D. can't last for too much longer. I dont see any new bloods from CAN that's worth mentioning.

#11 cooler, Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  12. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I am wondering now what Ardy Wiranata's doing in Canada.....last time he was coaching in US then moving to Canada...I still believe that there is still a talent out there....honestly I would like to see more talents from Europe, US, Canada or south America..otherwise it is hard to popularize the badminton and get more big buys as sponsors.....I just feel it is long way road..hopefully before I die....

13. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Although US & Canada Opens is not Gold Series/SS; i still think Lee TS make a wise move to participate in both tournaments.
    Even though the prize money its too little to comfort, the point earn in the World Rankings is already a valuable assets for him to qualify for Olympics.

I hopes Lee could finally make it to Beijing next year. MAS should count on him more rather than the often unpredictable YOYO King :rolleyes:

14. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yess! LTS bags his second title of the year

Tsuen Seng bags Canadian Open title:)

PETALING JAYA: KLRC Bhd’s Lee Tsuen Seng bagged his second men’s singles international title this year at the US$15,000 Canadian Open International in Saskatchewan on Saturday.
    The 28-year-old Tsuen Seng justified his top billing by beating Japanese Jun Takemura 21-13, 21-18 in the final of the Badminton World Federation (BWF)-sanctioned tournament.
    A week ago, world number 16 Tsuen Seng emerged as the US Open champion. Both the tournaments offer qualifying points for next year’s Beijing Olympic Games. There was, however, disappointment for the new partnership of Lim Pek Siah-Haw Chiou Hwee when they lost 21-16, 15-21, 20-22 to South Koreans Joo Hyun-hee-Ha Jung-eun in the semi-finals

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Will there be a Lee Tseun Seng Vs Bao Chunlai match @Japan Open 2007 ?

Well... At the Japan Open 2007 in just 2 days' time, if both Lee Tseun Seng and Bao Chunlai were to win their Round 1 matches, then they will meet in Round 2. :):):)

#16 chris-ccc, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  17. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    LTS will withdraw from JO....

18. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Hau informed me that LEE TS will withdraw from Japan Open 2007. He did have a chat while Lee in US open Final last 2 week ago.

19. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I just wished that LTS would not withdraw....

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Definitely a morale booster :D Why can't Sony Dwi Kuncoro or Simon Santoso
    be fielded in the Vietnam or Holland Open? A title for them will do good to their confidence :cool: Sony HASN'T WON a title since the Asian Championships 2005 while Simon....I even forgot when was the last time he did win something...I think it's a Satellite tourney :rolleyes: