which SMASH is more powerful? standing or jump!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by khan09, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khan09

khan09 Regular Member

well guys when intially i used to hit smash standingly not used jump then its more powerful.
    so when the smash is being improved or game too then i used take jump in mine drops shot or in smash so both accurate but i slowly realized that mine power in smash is becoming less. and now i agian start to hit standing smash is good in power i easly transfer mine body weight through racket onto the shuttle. now guys i wanna ur all open which is powerful more. well i think jump smash is used to be for more accuracy rather then power i used to take jump still but its not more in my game .

2. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

I agree with you, I also think that it's difficult to get the same power when jump smashing compared to standing. But by jumping you can play a shot with a steeper angle, which may be even more difficult to return than a smash at maximum power. Often placing is more important than raw power.

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I think there was a Taiwanese study which recorded bigger smash power when jumping. It also showed that less experienced players (e.g. college athletes) got less angle out of the jump smash than the more experienced players (e.g. pro players)

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    to answer that actual question, smash while standing or jump? it is the jump smash is more powerful, of course with correct technique.

5. Firedrive

Firedrive Regular Member

Project Manager - Hotel Logistic
    Also my personal opinion that a jumpsmash is more powerful because u can use the full force of the body weight into the smash as well but it takes time to train. Of course the technique must be right. Otherwise you would be out of balance to reach the next shoot if your smash is not powerful enough and your opponent could redirect the shuttle to the other side. But with a powerful jumpsmash, I always feel that I can use the speed of my own movement, I mean I could take the shuttle earlier and my opponent would have less time to react.

6. matchbow

matchbow Regular Member

7. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i'm sure a jumpsmash can produce better power but i don't really know how to explain it with physics. i'll put it in another way....hope at least some of you can understand me:D

when you first start out smashing (using the scissor one legged jump ) you feel youself getting the power from the turning of the body (turning your racket foot from behind to front). Soon, with more training your racket foot begins taking off the ground harder and higher, your smashes also get more powerful. Then, you will realise that you can also turn your body by jumping off BOTH feet, by using your abdominal muscles. the transfer of power from the legs is at least the same, or even more effective than 1 legged jumps. This was the different training phases for me. Wonder if it's the same for u guys

8. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Jump Smash is more powerful.
    For the correct technique, Peter Rasmussen has made a fantastic instructional clip on the jump smash.
    Go to www.badmintonsite.com
    Then Video Clips => Instructional => Peter Rasmussen Jump Smash

9. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    answer

Well.. when FHF clocked the world fastest speed of smash, was he standing or jumping?

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Jump smash produce more power only when done properly. The action of jumping up and into the shot meant using your whole body as well as the usual mechanics of a smash produce a powerful shot. However, that means more things could go wrong so the shot is not always optimal.

11. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Jumping. Hands down. it allows you to get better trunk rotation.

12. khan09

khan09 Regular Member

reply who replied me? khan 09

well guys thanx to all who replied me!!!
    well , when we jump atleast me i cant able to hit proper power smash , as i hit powerly previously when i used to hit standly. i am confused so other like my opponent easily return me smash . what should i do rather i stand back when i hit smash during jump so do something other . now its in my i n my style plz help me? well i think professial player used to hit jump smash because their shuttle cock is too fast so their wrist or arm power or bit body power is good to point the smash in good direction rather giving it more power .

13. St00pid

St00pid Regular Member

hahahha, very well said. touche.

14. Hierkommtnils

Hierkommtnils Regular Member

Fin. Controller
    The homepage navigation doesn´t work for me, any suggestions why? :crying:

15. khan09

khan09 Regular Member

reply who replied me? khan 09

well guys thanx to all who replied me!!!
    well , when we jump atleast me i cant able to hit proper power smash , as i hit powerly previously when i used to hit standly. i am confused so other like my opponent easily return me smash . what should i do rather i stand back when i hit smash during jump so do something other . now its in my i n my style plz help me? well i think professial player used to hit jump smash because their shuttle cock is too fast so their wrist or arm power or bit body power is good to point the smash in good direction rather giving it more power .

16. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

You have to activate JavaScript in your Browser ;)

17. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

talking from personal experience... for years and years and years i always thought jump smash is to get better angle.. well yes for sure contact point between racket and shuttle at higher point than just standing but the more i do it the more i learn that we can deliver more power from our abs and knee. i think one of the secret in jump smashing is training ur abs and body balance while on air.

as for the question... yes jump smash will deliver more power... but its tiring and definetely take longer to get ready again while on-ground smashing can be done while u move around plus less tiring.

18. Hierkommtnils

Hierkommtnils Regular Member

Fin. Controller
    yes, javascript is activated, so I am wondering...

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I don't agree that jump-smashing produces a faster smash (if you mean a full blown out jump-as-high-as-you-can-jump-smash).. It may seem so if the angle is better, the speed will be higher for the shuttle when hitting the floor or being blocked, but the speed upon racket impact will most probably not be greater..

The imoprtant thing are getting the full body behind the smash, this usuailly require a small rotational jump, but not full jump... I think looking at tennis serve tells alot.. IT would be perfectly allowed (as far as i know) to execute a jump-smash-serve in tennis... And if it would be easier to get better angle (higher-percentage and harder first services) I would assume this would be adopdet by tennis players..

/Twobeer

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I see your point, but I don't agree using tennis serve as an example. If you do a jump serve in tennis, the bounce on the ground will be higher due to the extra force and increased angle. Therefore, it might be actually easier for the opponent to return (i.e. longer respond time).

Jump smash/serve only should be adopted in sports which opponent need to receive directly, but not after bounce. Therefore, good example is volleyball and badminton, but surely not tennis or table tennis. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.