Looking for badminton players in Edmonton

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by BCSurfer, Sep 9, 2007.

1. BCSurfer

BCSurfer New Member

Student
    Hey Everyone:

I'm a new University of Alberta grad student who recently moved to Edmonton. I'm looking for some intermediate badminton players to play badminton with. If anyone is interested, please msg me or post to this thread.

I would love to meet new people and play some badminton :)

2. BCSurfer

BCSurfer New Member

Student
    I know that the U of A has drop-in badminton sessions at the Education Gym/Pavillion everyday, so if anyone is interested in hitting some birds around, give me a shout. I play intermediate/advanced.

3. EWL168

EWL168 Regular Member

Hello!

Hey BCSurfer!

How is Alberta treating you so far? Hehehe... but as for badminton, if you're looking for decent games, you want to try and go to E-19 (it's a dance studio) during Friday evenings and Sunday mornings/afternoons. There's usually a lot of people (so more waiting...) during those times with a huge variation of levels, so I bet you'll be able to find something appropriate.

There is also a badminton club at U of A which runs Friday evenings at the Education Gym. Lots of people there as well, with a good range of players. I believe there is a fee for the club, but it's pretty cheap and they supply plastic shuttles.

I haven't been to these two places in a while though and just hear of how busy they through friends who still go there. I currently play/train at Kinsmen Sports Center with some other people a few times a week.

Pavilion is generally not a great place to play. The floors aren't like the gym floors and the lighting there is terrible. Also, usually beginners place at pavilion, but it could be a good time to get some court time as it's usually not as busy.

If there's anything else, let me know!

4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

the floor in pavillion are concrete with a thin 3mm rubber surface layed overtop. so if you have bad knees, or are worried about your knees, i'd recommend you keep the airtime to a minimum.

the lights and floor though overall isn't that bad. me and a couple others figured that training there is good. if you can get used to playing with the ultra bright and spotty lighting, and constantly changing ventilation currents, and play well in pavillion, you should be able to play well anywhere...

it gets some getting used to, but it isn't too much of a problem after a while.

i know its early in the term, but generally when do you think you'll find yourself there?

5. BCSurfer

BCSurfer New Member

Student
    Thank for the info! Well I'm pretty much open to whenever people want to play. So if you're up for some play time, just pick a date and place. I'm going to join the U of A badminton club. I believe it starts this Friday at the Education gym? Will you be joining that club?

6. mg27

mg27 Regular Member

Hey BCSurfer:

Welcome to the UA Badminton Rec Club!

It starts at 7 PM and ends at 10 PM.

You'll know where you fit in. If there's more than 12 people waiting, then it's one game to 15 (old rules) or 21 (new rules). Most play the old rules because we want to be on the court longer :)

The matriarch of the club is Jean Mah (and just last year, the long-serving out-going president).

There's a few people from BC in our club (who are here for employment or education).

Hope to see you there.

MG27 (Murphy)

7. BCSurfer

BCSurfer New Member

Student
    Thanks Murphy! I'm looking forward to it. See you then.

8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

naw, i drop in every now and then, but i generally prefer e19 in the evenings. overall, it'll be just as busy in both places. i know a few people at the ed gym club, but i know everyone at e19. and its free, to boot. us poor students are stingy. atleast i am. :p

yeah, i think it starts this friday however.

what times are you available to hit around?

9. Ishlamba

Ishlamba New Member

Accountant
    badminton in edmonton

Hi
    I am new in the city and looking for playing badminton. Most of the clubs are already full for the season. Where can I play now?
    For U of A, do I need to be a student or not?
    Any other places where the membership could be open?

rgds

10. edgar_allan

edgar_allan New Member

RN
    looking to play badminton

Hi,

Looking to find somebody I can play badminton with. I haven't touched a badminton racquet for a loooong time! I used to play it a lot then I got too busy and so Id like to get back doing what I love to do! BADMINTON!!!

I'm in between beginner and intermidiate level. Didn't have any formal training but I know I can play good. Hit me up if you're interested.

zethmon1810@hotmail.com
    (780) 298 0888

11. jei28

jei28 Regular Member

When will E19 be held during the upcoming fall season for 2009? What days and time does the E19 play? I will either join E19 or the badminton club. Anyone know when the badminton club will start regitering for the fall 2009?

12. ashianaa

ashianaa New Member

manufacturing
    I am new here t00

I am new here and living in Millwoods area.I want to play badminton if anyone know any place ,please do let me know.
    Thanking u in advance

Ashraf

13. mg27

mg27 Regular Member

14. slavegod

slavegod New Member

Student
    Hey I'm a U of A student too!!! I'm in first year.. I'm a beginner in badminton.. For the badminton club at U of A is it drop in and are there beginners??

Ps: if anyone in U of A is interested in finding a badminton partner and don't mind them being a noobie or is a beginner feel free to contact me =D

15. 241n00b

241n00b Regular Member

hey! i play at university all the time....well mostly weekdays from 11-2 in pavillion

16. slavegod

slavegod New Member

Student
    Is the gym open like the whole day or is it specific hours??

17. 241n00b

241n00b Regular Member

18. druss

druss Regular Member

From what I remember, the pavilion is fine but the times do change around. There is also E19 on Friday nights. If you check the EDBA website there is also a UofA club.