Short question for Stringers!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by STRINGERS please read!, Apr 5, 2002.

1. I know that in Canada, stringers charge like 12 bucks labour or something right? I just wanted to know how long it takes to string up one racquet. Does it vary on different machines? Thanks!

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    i have both a portable drop-weight stringer and a standing electric stringer. the difference in time between the two is around 5 minutes extra using the drop-weight. the average time is around 30 minutes. this is the time after the racquet is mounted and mains are started.

prior to mounting the racquet there is time taken to cut and remove the old strings, visual of all the grommets - replacing grommets could take up some time depending on the type of grommet and damage. also extremely important - take a visual inspection of the racquet notice of any possible frame damage or stress.

3. Newbie

Newbie Guest

Between 60 and 75 minutes start to finish, including cutting out the old strings, replacing grommets, etc. with a drop weight machine.

4. around 55 mins starting from the cutting the old string

5. Kakuritsu

Kakuritsu Guest

over 30 minutes? dude...u guys are slow

6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Anyone have a good link on technique for stringing up a racquet?

I just bought a used Stringing machine with a drop weight, and am puzzling over it. It seems to be geared for Tennis rackets, and I believe it has a 2 point grip system.

Thanks!

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I think 30 mins is correct time. It is very important that u be very watchful. What do u gain by finishing 10 mins B4. I think slow and steady with loads of concentration is very important.

8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The machine I have (Probalby quite old) does not seem to have proper clamps for Badminton. It also does not seem to have any string clamps. What do people use if there is none?

Thanks. (Piccie to follow)

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    no string clamps?

if you have no string clamps you have no stringer....:eek:

with a drop weight, the unit you have is probably a flying clamp system. you will definitely need to pick up a pair of flying (or floating) clamps for badminton, you can order these from any online stringer shop, most carry them.
    you could check out http://www.eagnas.com/tools.html
    in a real pinch you could use the tennis clamps however you will have a hard time fitting the spacings since the tennis clamps would be too wide.

if it's a fixed clamp (less likely with a drop weight, but there are a few around) then you will need to contact the manufacturer to purchase the correct badminton clamps.

you might also have to take a look at the mounting posts. some older systems use a post that is too thick for a badminton spacing, so the center mains might be pressed out of place when using the mount. (this happened with the first unit i bought and i had to grind the post down to badminton spacing).

#9 badrad, May 12, 2002
    Last edited: May 12, 2002
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am located in Burnaby actually. =>

Do you know of any local shops that may carry flying/floating clamps, as well as badminton awls?

Thanks!

Great link By the By.