Grip question, does anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Midget_Boy, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    A random thought occured just now, and I'm curious to know if it's safe and does it work?

The plastic shrink wrap on the handles of all new racquets, nearly everyone rips it off and discards it, but is it alright to keep it on and just wrap another replacement grip and/or overgrip on top of the plastic?

This would further keep the handle in good condition and keep more odors and sweat from being absorbed into the wood in the handle if a tight plastic wrap is covering it, right?

Another benefit I could think of would be overall better condition of the racquet (with original grip etc.) and better resale value (with more proof of authenticity with the shrink wrap and grip/weight code).

But are there any negative effects of doing this or has anyone tried it before?

2. Xaviman

Xaviman Regular Member

i think that the overgrip can slip

3. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I've done it before, I don't really see any downsides to it, the grip didn't even shift which kind of surprised me.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i tried, and it does slip. especially when the overgrip gets a bit wet and the moisture soaks through.

5. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    What grip did you use? I used Wilson Traction grip (low-end) and very tightly wrapped it and surprisingly, it didn't move! :) I think it really depends on the type of grip and how you grip it. The majority of the population will probably see the grip slipping though :p

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Quite a few local players do so, when they 1st purchase a racket. They try to maintain the condition as new as possible, just in case they need to return or re-sell it, if they don't like. ;)

7. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    How about if a replacement grip was applied, no slip there? So far things sound good, I just might do this with my next racquet (if I get another, ;) ) .

8. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    that is my standard procedure, never did take off the original plastic. just, keep replace the overgrip, the plastic also come-off. use the cable-tape to wrap one layer before put the overgrip......:D

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I keep the original plastic and overgrip it. I do it to keep the resale value. Also, some overgrip will stick onto the original grip or the end sticker will tear the original grip off.