0 Thread(s)

General Sun Tzu of badminton

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great post Kwun.

Tang XF is an icon.

Remember how we surprised him by asking him to pose with us at the HK Open?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Master Tang is the game strategist. In fact during Olympic 08 Tang is the one that helped Lindan to strategise his game against LCW behind the scene.

He is the best badminton strategist ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw an exhibition match between Tang and Hou when they were touring Canada before China became a member of the WBF. During the match their leaping smashes and deft retrievals were wonderful to see. I was at the University of Guelph and member of their badminton team in the 1970s and was previleged to see them. Tang is the smasher while hou is the deft retriever and courtcraft artiste. The rackets they used were the heavy steel shaft China-made models of old..heavy and stiff. However that did not deter them from making all those wonderful shots. Jamie Paulsen, the then reigning Canada champ had a few matches with them .. but they really let him off easy. Great players then..could have been world champs had China been a member of the IBF and WBF.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow It shows that wonderful shots are not only possible when played with modern equipment

Quote Originally Posted by oldfreeman View Post

Saw an exhibition match between Tang and Hou when they were touring Canada before China became a member of the WBF. During the match their leaping smashes and deft retrievals were wonderful to see. I was at the University of Guelph and member of their badminton team in the 1970s and was previleged to see them. Tang is the smasher while hou is the deft retriever and courtcraft artiste. The rackets they used were the heavy steel shaft China-made models of old..heavy and stiff. However that did not deter them from making all those wonderful shots. Jamie Paulsen, the then reigning Canada champ had a few matches with them .. but they really let him off easy. Great players then..could have been world champs had China been a member of the IBF and WBF.

oldfreeman ... True isn't it? It shows that wonderful shots are not only possible when played with modern equipment.

In the 1970s, when Tang and Hou visited Melbourne, we were taken by surprise, at an exhibition match, when we saw Hou repairing Tang's racket strings by hand.

Perhaps, we should post this in our 'Equipment Forum' to remind our many BCers that wonderful shots depend more from wonderful skill, rather than from wonderful equipment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TXF is the best indeed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    Master Tang is the game strategist. In fact during Olympic 08 Tang is the one that helped Lindan to strategise his game against LCW behind the scene.
    TF was also there to assist LD to defeat his nemesis PSH at 08 TC
    Last edited by cooler; 12-25-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is the master behind the back of the chinese national team.No TXH,no today's china badminton empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish om Tang will go back and assist INA teams. It was sad seeing PBSI's decision letting him go in the past.
    Last edited by badadum; 12-26-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badadum View Post
    Wish om Tang will go back and assist INA teams. It was sad seeing PBSI's decision letting him go in the past.
    Are you sure Tang left INA because PBSI let him go or due to other circumstances that also result in Hou and Fang left too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Are you sure Tang left INA because PBSI let him go or due to other circumstances that also result in Hou and Fang left too...
    Had PBSI exert enough pressure, om Tong would not have to left INA for the 2nd time....That's all I've to say.
    At least Fang sifu is back in Djarum and Hou is enjoying retirement in the Southern part of USA.
    Last edited by badadum; 12-26-2008 at 08:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the 2004 SO, I gave " Kwun " a chinese badmintom magazine.
    If I remember correctly. There is a one or 2 pages article about
    Tong Sin FU`s life, family and why he retired as a head coach
    in the China team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smichz View Post
    He is the master behind the back of the chinese national team.No TXH,no today's china badminton empire.
    This is a bit too strong isn't it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Chris suggested, to continue discuss topics relating to Tang Xinfu's here in this thread.

Actually on this, it really depends on your availability and sincerity.

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post

It would be a waste of time for me to continue to post about Tang's methods.

It's really not just about the demonstration. It's about the principles that Tang Xinfu based his game on. Furthermore, Tang Xinfu's smash WAS powerful, but it WASN'T more powerful than other players. In my opinion his smashes were lethal because they were very accurate and hard to read. But of course, this is solely based on a layperson's observation.

But again, not description of his demo, it's about the principles of his game. Things that he thought were important - a few words would be enough, such as power, etc...

Much notes were taken down from this great master's session.

But the notes were not as useful as the demonstration given by Tang.

And I have posted before - A demonstration of a particular point can be much easier to do, than to put them down in words.

Here is an example: Tang said please pay attention to the position of the point of impact when I smash.

Guess what other coaches in our group later asked me : How did Tang get so much power from his smash?

Much of information was lost when some did not follow what Tang was trying to say: When he specified about the position of the point of impact when he smashed, others were paying attention on his smash technique (not the importance of the point of impact).

In this case Tang Xinfu was not honest in his interview where he clearly stated that he was a player with average skills while in Indonesia. He advanced a lot in terms of badminton skills during his first years in China.

As one of the most active members at BadmintonCentral, of course I get to know who are our BCers here;
    * to give info
    * to chat
    * to joke
    * to troll
    * etc, etc......

Tang was a great player. When he decided to establish (in China) coaching sessions for players who wish to play better Badminton, only some CHN players followed his methods at the beginning.

Guess what? In previous years, when I posted that China should be grateful for Tang (from Indonesia) to return to China to teach Badminton. But many BCers argued with me that China was already good at Badminton before Tang returned home to China.

So, I have decided to keep Tang's teachings out of this LCW's thread - where we find most readers here are Malaysian BCers anyway; who don't appreciate Tang's methods as much (since Tang was an Indonesian and then later, a Chinese player).

Later perhaps, I might continue with this topic in this thread;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/47582-Tang-Xianhu-The-Thing-(Is-He-The-Greatest-Ever-)

In 1980 . Tang Xinfu already retired as player. You must seen a different Tang Xinfu in Australia.

It was in 1980. Before LCW and LD were born.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If only LCW can have someone like TXH to help him.. I guess it will help a lot to improve his game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Tang Xianhu was teaching us how to coach, not how to play

Quote Originally Posted by viver View Post
    In 1980 . Tang Xinfu already retired as player. You must seen a different Tang Xinfu in Australia.
    Yes, Tang Xianhu was already a retired player.

Tang Xianhu did not come to Australia to participate in tournaments. His tour was organised by our National Coaches Association as a "Coaching Tour", not a tournament tour.

He was asked to come to teach only our Australian qualified coaches. He did not come to teach our team of players.

Now that's the important thing: Was he telling coaches things different from what he would tell his players? Only he can answer that question.

Yes, from my observations, Tang Xianhu is a player of great fitness and physical strength. But he was asked by our Coaches Association just to teach us Badminton principles and techniques. Therefore, we coaches didn't get to learn how he trained to be so fast and physically powerful. He thought us what to pay attention to when a stroke is performed.

Since most BCers here are players and not coaches, I think that is where my posts were not fully understood. Like you said "It's about the principles that Tang Xinfu based his game on"; But was his coaching method based on how he played? - I would guess that his coaching method was based on what he thinks, not how he played.

On the other hand, his playing method would change (I am sure), if based on how he would play to win (reacting to his opponent's playing style). Here, we are more into "Tactics", rather than into "Techniques". This is a different subject/topic altogether.

You have to remember this: He taught us coaches how to coach, not how to play. And this has probably caused BCers (of playing members) the confusion.

Our then Australian No.1 player, Mark Harry, was invited to play a demonstration match with him. Again, it was played just for our coaches to watch. BTW, there were less than 10 of us coaches witnessing that match (no non-coaching people were invited).
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 01-09-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast