MP 88 or Iso Ti SX?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Zhi, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    Please, really need help on this one, dont want to spend so much money on the wrong racket haha

I already have a Ti-10 2U G5. But i'm looking for a racket which has similar attacking qualities, but with greater maneuverability/defensive capabilities than my Ti-10. I was thinking that a 3U racket would be able to help in this area.

Thus, i want a light, but head heavy racket such as the iso Ti SX or MP 88...
    which do you's think suits wat i'm looking for best? which is better in offense? which is better in defense? which has better control? are both rackets 'slim' ? which is head heavier? which is more aerodynamic?

thanks.....

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Have u thought abt the Ti 10 3U? I am sure it will provide u what u want! But then i am sure plp have tried and tested the Ti 10 more than the Mp 88! U can also try the Mp 77 3U G5! I am sure it is head heavy!

I would say try the SX, Ti 10 3U and Mp 77 3U!

Best of luck!

3. ASD

ASD Regular Member

d
    SX is better than MP88 i think,it has super slim shaft,--like ti10 ,ultra hi-mod graphit--like ti10 , ultra stiff shaft for offensive player ---still like ti10,control is better than ti10,with almost the same power,but, u may find it is much more head-heavy,feel like an U light racket. u should find even 2U ti10 be a lighter one after using it! i suggest u should try SS,still a little more head-heavier than ti10,but with more flexibility---feel comfortable in swing,enough control and power for offensive.
    my own experience,mp77(2U) is a little hard to adapt to,must have strong shoulder and arm to swing it.power is so great but control is a little weak,suit for hard hitter needs less control,----exp man-double player.
    MP88 is for defensive player i think,----shaft is not stiff , i have not tried it.

4. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    In perth australia,
    the 3U ti10 is impossible to get unless i pay high prices for the import.....
    MP 77 i dont really like as i really prefer slim shafted rackets
    So does anyone else out there who's had had experience with the SX and Ti-10 or MP88 and Ti10?
    any comparisons and input would be greatly appreciated
    thanks

5. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I've used alll the racquets being mentioned and I basically agree with ASD's opinion, i.e. if you want to find a lighter racquet similar to Ti-10 but with great manuverability, and not too much loss in power, then you should try Ti SP SS.

Ti-10 3U is also a good choice - but it's balance less head heavy than Ti-10 2U. In compare with SS, it is stiffer. I personally prefer SS over Ti-10 3U because SS is less stiff.

If you find Ti-10 2U too heavy (or head heavy) and too stiff, you won't find Ti SP SX significantly different.

If you really want to try MP88, make sure to get the 3U version. 4U version is very weak in producing power even it has head heavy balance.

MP77, in my opinion, is different kind of racquet. If you used to play with Isometric head shape and slim shaft, I suggest you to choose between Ti-10 and Ti SP.

6. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    Hey ricky and ASD,
    isn't the fact that SX is 3U and not 2U mean that SX is more manuverable and can be swung at a faster pace than my 2U Ti-10?
    i actually dont mind the rackets having the same head-heaviness, i'm looking to buy a racket with same characteristics as Ti-10 thats a 3U racket
    thanks

7. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    SX is lighter than Ti-10 2U. However, may be due to its more head heavy balance and high stiffness, its manuverability is not significantly better than Ti-10 2U in my opinion. My personal preference is Ti-10 3U over Ti SP SX - it does not mean that Ti SP SX is not good, I just find that my wrist/arm is not strong enough to swing SX fast - as a result, my smashes are better with SS or Ti-10 3U.

8. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I tested most of the Yonex range about a month ago. I was struck by the similarity in feel between the SP-SX and the MP88. Both performed well in both power and touch. For me the MP88 had the edge. Power seemed to come from timing the shot, often the best results came from a slightly slower swing. They did not have the 'bludgeon' like feel of the MP100. I did not like the 'dead' SP-SS. If you want a snappy racquet then either MP88 or SP-SX are excellent, although the price is different. The Ti-10 is also an excellent racquet but having tried the others it feels a bit less active.

9. Ernie

Ernie Regular Member

Student
    SP SX is really more 'head-heavier' than Ti10??
    so is it really fast and powerful as many have said? how about the contol?

what are the pros and cons of SX?
    big difference between SX and SS?

anyone has an idea what the street price of SX is in HK?

btw...does anyone know if there is SW SX JP or CN?

10. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

Based from my experience, I find in terms of ranking with 1 being heaviest:

Head heavy - 1. Ti-10 2U 2. MP-77 2U 3. TiSP-SX
    Maneuverability - 1. TiSP-SX, 2. Ti-1 3. MP-77
    Power - 1. Ti-10 2. MP-77 3. TiSP-SX
    Control - Equal TiSP-SX & Ti10. 3. MP-77

All these rackets are considered the big guns of Yonex range where power is their outstanding feature. I am personally looking forward to purchase a MP-80/88 2U version when it arrives in Australia next month. Will post a report MP80/88 when I finally get my hands on one ;)

11. Ernie

Ernie Regular Member

Student
    What about comparing SW SX to MP 100?
    which is more powerful? control? faster?

12. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    i have tried both of these rackets and i have my own opinions on them....

Well IMO, both of them are equally as manueverable. Though i must say that the Iso Ti SP SX is a little faster. However comparing the 2 of them, i find the Iso Ti SP SX to be faster to move and has nicer feel. Its sweetspot feels bigger. And when smashing with it, the feeling is more of a punch, theres less feel in the smash.

The MP88 on the other hand is slightly more head heavy, making it a little slower, though not enough to effect your game mentally. However, this racket feels more powerful when smashing though its harder to control the shots that need more precision to be played accurately.

So both of them have their ups and downs. Depending on your skill level, you can choose. Here in Singapore the MP88 is much more expensive and still too "new" to be bought now. IMO that is. So if i were you, go for the Iso Ti SP SX.

13. Ernie

Ernie Regular Member

Student
    o... so MP100 should be even more powerful than SX ...rite?
    actually...How powerful is the SX when comparing to other Yonex top rackets?

how about when comparing SW SS to SX?
    great difference?

what makes a difference ....? since one is for single and one is for double...
    is SX supposed to be even more powerful while SS is a bit faster?

what would be good for a wrist player (advanced)?

14. Ernie

Ernie Regular Member

Student
    anyone wanna answer this??
    coz i am really confused about which racket to buy...

15. Ernie

Ernie Regular Member

Student
    Is SwingPower SX actually as stiff as Ti10 too...?
    does it mean its control is worse?

is SX flexible when compared to mp100?

how would you guys rate the three rackets: mp100, ti 10 and SP SX?

i am actually looking for a powerful but fast racket with very good control...
    is there one actually?

i am having a mp100...
    so...

16. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    MP77 vs ISO TI Swing Power (SX)

I currently have the SR version of the ISO TI, but have finding problems with getting power and distance with my shots.

I tried out my mates, MP77 and although this seemed a bit too heavy for me, it worked wonders ...even my backhand was working well.

I was looking at the SX version as this has a bit more weight than the SR, and a stiffer frame (which I think is the problem with the SR).

Should I get the SX ? Does anyone else have the same problem with the SR or SA versions ? When does the MP90 come out in the UK.

Cheers,
    Sean

17. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

You can't full court clear with a TI SR? Either their's something wrong with the racquet, strings or your technique. Whilst the SR is one of the weaker racquets in the very top echelon of Yonex racquets, in the overall scheme of things, it's definately more powerful than most racquets out there :p I use a SA which is definately weaker, but have no problems doing full court backhand clears, so see if there's anything wrong with your strings first, then look for large cracks in the racquet, if you can't find anything there, and you still can't clear full court, then go back and do some training.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i completely agree with Pecheur, if you have problem hitting a birdie far, it is more a problem with your technique. changing your racket will only do you harm. i suggest finding a coach instead.

19. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    MP77 vs ISO TI Swing Power (SX)

Thanks for the advice. With the SR version, I can quite comfortably clear to the back as well as smash quite well so I dont see my technique being awfully wrong and yes I agree the SR version is a very good racquet...... the principle is that everything I hit felt a whole lot easier with the MP77.....which in turn makes me more efficient ...but then again a heavy racquet requires more energy to bring it up for defence shots..which begged the question about other racquets such as the SX which may have similiar feel to the MP77 but not quite as head heavy etc.

I also found my flat mid-court shots to have the punch which I am not feeling with the SR version.

Cheers Sean

20. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Seanrachy,

I can testify that MP-77 is a more powerful racket than Iso Ti SP SX. I use a MP77 normally but I often pinch my doubles partner's SX for a game or two. Both racket has same string at same tension and MP77 definately feels stronger in smash and easier to make clear shots.

However, Iso Ti SP SX has better control and is a more fogiving racket to use, and it is far easier to return a smash or intercept shuttles at net than MP77 because it has superior manueverbility. So I guess depending what your priority is, either racket should give you the added advantage you are seeking over Iso Ti SP SR.

The closest racket I have used that is similar to Iso Ti SP SX is Ti-10. Ti-10 is wee bit better in my opinion. MP-77 on the other hand is a totally different kind of beast...I mean racket.

(Do you want to sell your Iso Ti SP SR? Because I want one! ;) )

#20 ayl, May 21, 2002
    Last edited: May 21, 2002