Enlarged buttcap

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Slicedbanana07, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

I have noticed that some of the players i played with had a slightly weirder shape to their grip. Rather than your conventional grip, which has a normal shape that follows the contours of the wooden handle etc, his grip had something wrapped around the end of the grip so that is was wider at the base. I asked him why he did it and he told me that it felt more comfortable especially when smashing, the racket had less chance of slipping out.

I was wondering if anyone does this to their rackets? If so, what materials would you recommend to do this with and what measures to make sure it stays in place?

Thanks

2. fpixi

fpixi Regular Member

Highschool
    Hi

I do this procedure to everyone of my rackets:

When i get a new racket i rip of the start grip. Then i re-use the start grip to wrap it around the buttcap of the racket. Then i seal the enlarged buttcap with cabletape to make sure it wont fall off...
    At last i put on a towelgrip, or sometimes a replacement- / overgrip...

Hope this is a good advice...

Bye the way you could, instead of the start grip use some sports tape or some reagular used overgrip...

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I yank of the standardgrip as well and roll on some athlete's tape. or get some overgrip to wrap on it (you can fold it double)
    then I wrap on 2 overgrips, because when I wrap a standardgrip over the bulge it comes out lobsided...

4. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Hi,
    I did this to all my current rackets.:pI used those SOTX woven braided grips and cut them into small strips n then wrap the protruded lining on the buttcap n then use tacky kason grips to wrap around them. As a result the buttcap was pretty enlarged. ;) This prevent my wet palm from losing the grip, rackets from slipping off my hand.:D I used a braided grip for this purpose as it really provides a real useful enlarged buttcap.:)
    When I do alots of wrist swing, it really ensures the racket doesnt slip off.
    :p
    Lee:D

5. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

ah sweet. Cheers for the input. I never thought of using tape or grips, but now that u mention it, it seems a bit obvious.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Remember also..

..when adding those tapes, overgrips, braided grips to the endcap, basically you're adding more weight to the handle; thus the weight of the racket will shift towards the handle side (less head heavy)..;)
    Some professional players, i heard, use some light-weight wood material and either nail or glue it to the handle..;)