Biking uphill as Training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jchan23, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jchan23

jchan23 Regular Member

So, I've been working on my jump smash and I'm not able to jump that high cause I guess my calves arn't too strong. I also don't have that uch access to a badminton court all the time so I was wondering if biking uphill would be a decent way to train my calves to jump higher.

I was thinking (since I have a mountain bike) to set it so that I performed very resistant 1 second interval leg pushes while going uphill which is about 25 degrees incline. Would this help?

2. krayon

krayon Regular Member

Calves hardly do anything in jumping, there main responsibility is to transfer the power created from your glutes and thigh. If you have access to a gym, I suggest you work on your limit strength. If you don't have access to a gym, just practicing jumping is probably better use of your time than riding a bike.

3. jchan23

jchan23 Regular Member

So would limit strength be the machine that holds you down while you try to push up? The only problem with this is that I heard it makes you short haha

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Think about how long it takes to pushoff in badminton. It's probably somewhere between 0.1 and 0.3 seconds. At that speed, you don't even think about it in terms of time, but instead in terms of its quality e.g. snappy vs mushy.

So, to begin your movement speed is about an order of magnitude too slow, which is not good if you're not super fast to begin with.

Next, consider the force of the movement. What matters here is relative strength. Consider how well you can throw a baseball versus a shotput. You can throw the baseball much more powerfully because your strength [F] is that much greater than the resistance mass [m]. Of course we all know the equation F=ma.

How strong do you have to be? Keep training your strength, and keep track of how well your jump height is progressing. As long as your jump height keeps improving with your strength, keep it up. When you stop improving, that's usually when people try to overpower their jump with muscular force, so that's when you switch to springier force producing activities.

5. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    try uphill sprinting?

6. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Biking uphill will do great things for yoru short twitch muscle speed and overall power, but it isn't going to help your vertical.

For that, you should do jump focussed exercises. So wall jumping (jumping up and down as quickly as you can, bending your legs as little as possible, to touch a spot on the wall fifty times in a row) is great. So is skipping. If you want to bring in weights, squats are excellent.

7. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

blah! you need squats, lots of them. or leg press also work. and one more: put a light weight on the bar, do a movement like a squat, but instead of just standing, you go down like a squat then jump up, kinda like doing jumping jack but with wieght. it h as to be a light weight, if not your knees will take a beating.

8. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    why not just jump rope, probbaly the best option IMO and not only does it work out your legs but as well as your wrists =]

9. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

skipping rope improve agility and endurance (in a way it does increase your strength/power). he wants raw power. skipping rope will not get you that. proper weight training does and will yield quicker result.

10. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    squats and jump rope!!! also maybe if you want reserch into polymetric training.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Uphill sprinting is the way to go for explosive power and overall raw strength. Key component in that exercise is intensity as you want to drain yourself as much as possible in the least amount of time. It'll force your body to recover faster. You'll get stronger naturally even though it'll take longer time for improvements to be apparent.

Weight training has a tendency to bulk you up along with increasing your strength. It'll also stiffen you up too if you fail to stretch regularly, I would not recommend weight training for badminton players mainly for that reason as your chance of injury is greater than merely crosstraining and bodyweight training. Like everything else, weight training can work if extra care is taken (ie. balance out your regime and reduce isolation training of any muscles groups to minimal).

On the other side of the spectrum, there's yoga which can be great for flexibility but at the cost of speed and power. Crosstraining with 'hard' martial arts like TKD and Karate would benefit even more as both requires hard and sudden acceleration.

Of course, you can never go wrong with rope skipping. Using different speed and technique, rope-skipping can train your stamina as well as your footspeed. Boxers and gymnasts train with skipping, The only problem with it is that it has a steep learning curve (to skip smoothly) and can be very discouraging initially. However once you overcome the initial hurdle to skip regularly, you're on your way to greatness.

12. iamSudd3n

iamSudd3n Regular Member

Manger
    My suggestion would be try to find someone who is playing volleyball. Most of their training are concentrated on how to jump high and leg strength. I think their jump smash is the same in badminton.