Effects of Changing the RACKETS?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by khan09, Sep 13, 2007.

1. khan09

khan09 Regular Member

well i unfortunately broked 3 rackets of different quality and weight ?
    some heavy head or some are 86-89gr in weight ?
    GUYS what's will be effects ? on GAME!

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Depend on each individual, switching between rackets need some time to adjust (e.g. timing) to the new one. Usually, more expereince players tend to spend less time, under the assumption the change is within reasonable range.

3. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Lazy is absolutely correct. But according to my experience, the effect is most noticible in both the extreme ends of the spectrum. What I mean is, for intermediate players, most of them do not observe any huge changes or advantage in switching to a different racket. But of course one can feel the difference, but whether changing a racket can help you to turn around a match is questionable unless you are talking about switching from a low-end racket with 20lb string and a top of the range racket with 26lb tension. Anyway, a majority of intermediate players tend to try out new models when they come out, so changing racket is definitely not a huge thing anyway.

As for beginners, the effect maybe huge as a better racket may help them a lot, say in high clearence or net shots. For Pros, of course, subtle changes in rackets can be critical in matches, say, 26lb vs 28lb tension, 3U or 4U, the subtle difference is enough to push the shuttle 3-4cm across the line.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) I hope those are all your racquets. Or you will not get any game because no one will paly with you
    2) Most of the play has 1 style. Offensive, defensive, all around. Take your pick. Not many non-pro player can switch between the styles at ease. There is a type of racquet for each style in general. So if you are defensive player who use a NS8000 and switch to AT700 in the middle of a match, your smash will be off and defense will suffer. Same as an offensive player in reverse situation. All around player might get a way in some degree but the game will still suffer.

I second what LB said and I hope you do break any more racquet any time soon.

May I ask why the racquet broke?

5. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

Switching rackets that are very different from each other throws me off a lot. I do use different models, but they all have similar balance, stiffness, and weight.

6. mel_baddie

mel_baddie Regular Member

hi guys,

i have a problem guys and i need good advice from you all.
    i am playing again now for almost 3 years after a very long lay-off. almost 10 years to be exact. i have regained most of my skills and shall i say am much much better than i was 10 years ago. i play in a club now in a reasonably high league.

ok... i have been using the AT700 with BG80 at 23 lbs. have no problems with it for singles and doubles. recently i dug out my old racket (15 years old). a brand called Eptif. i guess they do not exist anymore. so i restrung that racket with bg 80 at 23 lbs.

i have no specs of the racket but it was around 25 euros that time (cheap) its 2G/3U. and even balanced and the shaft is flexible. the racket is also about 1 cm shorter than AT700 or the new rackets.

so i played with that racket and from the first stroke, i have a totally different feeling. i felt totally comfortable making clears, drops, net everything. played some games and i must say i felt like i could control the ball and game how i want it to be.
    then i switched back to AT700 again. and the AT700 felt too metallic and the whipping effect was not there. and i found it again hard to manouvre the AT700.

so my question is, what does that mean? does it mean, i am more comfortable with flex rackets or shorter rackets or the AT 700 is actually too stiff for my playing style all this time? hope you guys can help me with this. thanks

mel_baddie

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

sounds to me to be exactly what you've described. i'm not an expert on stiffness (dink has just been giving me pointers in fact) but it seems that your swing seems to be more suited to a more flexible, less head-heavy racquet. it doesn't mean that just because the eptif is a cheap racquet that it's a lousier racquet than the at700. whatever suits you best is the best racquet in the market.

if you would like to confirm whether this is indeed the case, try out racquets which yonex has labelled as flexible or medium flex, such as the mp88 or ns7700 if you can get your hands on them. make sure you test it using the same string and tension as much as possible, otherwise you won't know for sure if the effect is purely because of the stiffness of the shaft.

8. mel_baddie

oh. and another thing. here is my playing style.

i like to play drives and attacking clears and drops. i tend to play my opponent around until i get a chance to smash and then i do smash.

and with the old racket, the smash is a bit slower but it is not that important compared to the much better control and manouvre.

9. mel_baddie

thanks for the quick reply Dreamzz.
    i was looking at the yonex rackets and the ns7700 is appealing to me but it is not even balanced. it is grip heavy (opposite of head heavy) i am thinking more of trying out the muscle power 21 or 45 or 29 light. :)

10. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    try to change a racket that is similar with ur previous racket,which u felt great to play with,in terms of flex,balance point,tensions,etc.Changing from a flex shaft to a stiff shaft of course is a big difference.U'll feel like it's completely different n feel uncomfy with it.

11. mel_baddie

well my previous racket was 15 years old. :) and ever since i started playing again, i have only used AT500 and then to AT700. i am not saying i cannot handle the stiffness, just that i found out again how the feeling was when i was playing back then with the old racket. :D and i have a choice to make. either move on and keep using the AT's or go back to the old feeling.

anyway.. i found a racket that from the stiffness and characteristics are very similar to my old racket. victor Magan ATB 5500 with the weird bridge at the t-joint. had it strung and will try it out tomorrow. hopefully it play like my old racket as well.