BadmintonBC Ranking 2007-8 season

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Takamsda, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

Professional Badminton Racket Stringer at Noah's B
    Now I am mad. If anyone could take a look at 2006-07 Junior B ranking, you'll see the sheet is in 1st name alphabet order. That helps nothing.

I know C person did a fair job in the past ranking and so on but not timely. The new S person made mistake everywhere on that ranking sheet.

With the new S person working in the office. I think someone should provide some training. Not blaming anything but I am really worried. If your service provided is as such quility. I don't feel like playing tournaments at all. Rely solely on TournamentSoftware itself is not enough.

Look at Badminton England.

For Junior ranking Boys Single, 1118 boys particiapted and up to 21 tournaments played. Their ranking is a good example.

If BadmintonBC is watching this. Brock, here's my suggestion.

1.You need to sit down w/ technical director and figure out what's the best.
    2.Get the Ranking Sheet UPDATE CORRECTLY.
    3.Remember to UPDATE Rankings < 3 days after the tournament, cuz they're tournaments back-to-back and needs the ranking badly.
    4.Consider to really database the rankings and associate info.

I donno, I don't know what to add now.

I am thinking of doing a sole Ranking Database myself(and just keep it myself) so I can laugh sometimes. Something really needs to be done ASAP. Don't let it rot.

2. PrinceOfBMT

PrinceOfBMT Regular Member

Umpire

Maybe you should consider contacting them directly instead of posting and hoping badminton bc will c it,coz believe me,theY WON'T SEE IT

So yah why don't u give them a call instead of just saying how poorly badminton bc is performing.

Have fun

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Don't worry Takamsda / PrinceOfBMT, I have already forwarded this to Brock! ;)

Cheers!

4. Break-My-String

Brock's reply is as follows...

Please tell Takamsda that Badminton BC has read the post and is taking action regarding the ranking list. First of all, the list was approved by the Performance (Technical) Director before it was posted. There are no mistakes based on the information we have. If there is information that would change the rankings, please contact the office immediately so we can make the corrections.

We sort the lists with an Excel spreadsheet and you will notice that the other ranking lists were done by ranking. However, the Jr. B list was not sorting properly by rank – only alphabetical. We felt it was better to get it up and make the changes as soon as we figured out what the problem was.

It is not very productive to publicly admonish a new employee without first talking to them or their supervisor first. I am sure Takamsda has started a new job at some point in his/her life and not always got it right the very first time. So patience and understanding and guidance for this new person would be helpful. It is not our intention to cause any problems. By the way, S is doing very well in the office and is very willing to do the best job possible.

The ranking list is certainly a hot topic and we are looking at the best way to have it calculated within the time frame suggested or faster. However, with only one person responsible for the list in the office, it does not get done as fast as we would like. That is why we are looking at an automated system combined with a National ranking program. We are close but we still have a few bugs to work out. By the way, that is what Badminton England does…it is automated.

Badminton BC hopes that if there are issues in the future that Takamsda will send me an email or the info email and we will be happy to listen and make changes to processes as needed.

Thank you,
    Brock Turner
    Executive Director
    Badminton BC

Cheers! :)

5. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

This is my indirect reply to Brock.

Yes the ranking sheet is updated. And it still contains mistake here and there. I found 2 just peeking from it. And accuracy of the points given to a specific athelete, I donno, I don't want to find out. It does not concern me as of right now but it might concern some young ones.

I have to say someone is not mastered in Excel spreadsheet skill, the person needs to brush up a bit more.

And the point of admonishing public office worker, We paid BBC membership fee and we get this service. Most of us are not happy. People I've talked with regarding the ranking sheet, I hear nothing positive. If you're working for public then please make the accurate ranking. It is judged by public eyes. Maybe it's just me who stood up and talk, and everyone else is just watching.
    And again, my goal is not to admonish anyone. Ranking is updated, yet it is still with errors here and there. If I really want I can go in there line by line but I wouldn't. I still have work. It's un-productive of mine time to do so. I am not paid to do this. =p

I know Brock has plan to provide better service to Badminton community. And we know funding for Badminton is like nothing compare to other sport.

And Karl, You know who I am. And you cannnot tell Brock that. The point of posting on a forum is to remain anonymous. I don't feel like getting into offcial/politic issue. This is what I want to say on badminton community.

People are watching, and people are listening. Producing a correct/incorrect result takes same amount of effort. Why don't we make it right?

6. Break-My-String

Of course!!!

If anonymity was not an issue, I presume you would have spoken directly to Badminton BC!

Cheers! :)

7. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

I don't want to say anymore. I don't feel like saying anything "constructive". I've got a crazy schedule to live with already.

Karl if you have anymore, just PM me.

8. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

Should I say more?

I can see the ranking for both B & A are updated 4+ times. And it still contains error(but minimum).

sleep time!

9. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    If you want to be taken seriously, come out of anonymity, and contribute instead of just criticizing.

-dave

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Darn, that's a load of gas :D waiting for ignition!

11. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

And no I don't want to be taken seriously. I still want to keep my anonymity.

Criticzing? no no, I ain't.

but appearently what I wrote on the 1st one was a match ignited already =p

Dave. Check your PM

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Can you take the info or ranking database, prep it up, and show how to do it correctly?

At the very least, they can use that as a template, or it'll provide a point of reference, so participating players can refer to the more correct version.

It'll be a shame if the "more correct version" is non-affiliated, or BadmintonCentral version instead of BadmintonBC.

-dave

13. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

Just to make some people's head itchy. BBC better update the 2007-08 Junior B Ranking SOON............Without it, you can't make the seeding for VLT B. Any delay will only make me feel not comfortable.

Simple path to follow :

1. Make a new Ranking sheet for all Junior B category.
    2. Update the draw/result on C2 Thanks Giving B tournament.
    3. Post the result on BBC website.
    4. Extract the names and give points appropriately.
    5. Sort the ranking by points, save, export to PDF.
    6. Post the ranking on BBC website

I believe I have nothing more to say if they've done the above correctly and timely. And they should have nothing to say about me. It ain't my duty. =P

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    oh, don't be modest now. i'm sure there's plenty of people that have lots to say about you...:D

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Welcome back, Master Badrad. It has been a long time since you posted :D.

Happy Badding!

16. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

Should have asked you to be at C2 during the tournament ........

as a "Ranking Updater"......
    You can record all the results as the rounds progress....1st rounders - 20 points.etc etc......so by the end of the last final match......got have them all.
    You sounded like you are an excel expert. So, grant you access to a excel spreadsheet....wa la.....in less than 30 minutes....you have the ranking done!:D:D:D......and sent the spreadsheet to BBC info@badminton.com as a attachment........This is the perfect solution........
    Are you willing to do that?:p:eek::rolleyes:

The C2 Thanksgiving tournament committee knew the urgency of this matter;
    as the 2nd Super 7 circuit tournament is in 2 week in VanLawn. (see thread - 2007 VanLawn Junior B Tourney! for enter on line info). Badminton BC has all the C2 tournament results and has forward a copy to VanLawn tournament committee. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

17. PrinceOfBMT

Umpire

You should work for badminton bc,since u seem to have a lot of time suggesting what badminton bc should be doing. I rather waste my time reading or seening how u update badminton bc's rankings than to waste my time here reading on how you address on what badminton bc should be doing

18. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Anyone who has played a tournament at C2, and many of the local tournaments around town - should give a word of thanks to badelbow for his tireless work on the tournaments. badelbow is behind the scenes - long BEFORE with organizing, DURING and many hours AFTER the tournaments making sure that all the little snots are happy!
    I know I'd never have the patience or willingness to put up with the BS he has to each and every tournament. But then I'd probably be locked up for brutally killing each and every whiner that complained.

thanks badelbow! you IS DA MAN!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

19. PrinceOfBMT

Umpire
    i agree,i am more impress with badelbow's patience
    If i was organizer,i think i flamed back already and get banned from this forum

20. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

well i dont think its fair for tasumda ( cant spell ) to do the work then send it to baddy bc, however if this is a new employee, give him some time. but make sure there someone following up ;/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.