Rexy to send only committed pairs

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Jessica, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    NATIONAL doubles coach Rexy Mainaky, in the wake of yet another poor performance from the men's doubles, will introduce a selection system where only a maximum of three pairs will compete in super series events.
    Rexy has been sending all six senior pairs to super series events to give them a fair chance of qualifying for the 2008 Beijing Olympics but the Indonesian’s patience has worn thin and now wants to stick to quality.

The Japan Open saw four pairs — Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock, Chan Chong Ming-Hoon Thien How, Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari and Lin Woon Fui-Gan Teik Chai — crash in the first round, while Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah exited in the second round.

It was Malaysia’s worst performance in the men’s doubles this year and to avoid further embarrassment, Rexy will select his players based on their commitment, discipline and physical condition prior to the next two super series events — the Denmark and French Opens — to be held next month.

As a start, the top two ranked pairs of Kien Keat-Boon Heong and Tan Fook-Wan Wah will gain their place automatically, but the third place will be based on the new selection process.
    "Commitment of the players was in question during the Japan Open and it’s really worrying," said Rexy yesterday.

" I will not send the entire squad for the super series anymore. I will base it on the selection process.

"I will monitor the players’ commitment in training, physical condition while discipline on and off the court will be taken into account. If the players want to play in the Olympics, they must earn their place.

"I will include the top two pairs for the next super series event while the four pairs will have to battle for the third slot.

"However, if the top two pairs fail to produce results in the next few tournaments, they too will have to attend the selection process.

"I also want the players to voice out if they have any problems. However, I’m not going to compromise on discipline as a player needs to be serious and focused if he wants a taste of Olympic glory.

"I don't want the players to point fingers at the local culture for their indifferent attitude. If they want to become champions, they must break tradition and culture."

Rexy also dismissed the idea of reshuffling the four pairs since Kien Keat-Boon Heong and Tan Fook-Wan Wah have only seven months in the Olympics qualifying period which ends on May 3 next year.

Rexy said he is willing to take the risk of sticking with the current combinations until Malaysia's objective of winning a gold in the Olympics is achieved. He said he will consider reshuffling the pairs after that.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong are the Malaysia's best bet for gold while Tan Fook-Wan Wah are expected to play a supporting role in Beijing.

However, Malaysia are without a strong back-up pair should any one of the two combinations fail to make it to the Olympics due to injuries or poor form.