UBC dropin/badminton club

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by krisyay, Sep 17, 2007.

1. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

Just out of curiosity, how many ppl here play badminton at UBC's dropin at the SRC or at the badminton club? :)

2. jeepu

jeepu Regular Member

Web Guy
    I played at SRC once a while, but it's very discouraging:
    - very bad and random schedule
    - newbie players
    - no modulation so ppl are shamelessly playing on the same court for 30+ mins

3. champion_qh

champion_qh Regular Member

I just moved to a new place near UBC. I think I will join UBC badm club this term.....agree with jeepu, SRC does not even worth a try

4. jeepu

jeepu Regular Member

Web Guy
    UBC bmtn club is ok, just that I really hate Obsborne gym: bad lighting, slippery floor...used to play there many years ago, not sure if they've improved.

There aren't many good places to play near UBC / in city of Vancouver as most badminton centres are located in Richmond...can try VRC (im a member of VRC so i can sign u in as a guest) and I also work in UBC campus so we might carpool :p

5. champion_qh

champion_qh Regular Member

I contacted UBC badm club. Geeze....no more space left. I'm on the waiting list, not sure when can get in.

I used to live in Burnaby. I can play at Camerson, Bonsor, eastburn....since I moved to Vancouver west, I haven't found one place yet. I've heard you can play at Douglas park community center, but it's closed b/c of the strike

Jeepu, what's your level? I'm not a very competitive player. I thought about joining VRC, but always hesitated if it worths $$. It's more expensive than Cypress ski pass. Anyway, thanks for the offer. You can contact me at tony_hong78 at yahoo dot com if you go to VRC. I'm living close to Children's hospital

6. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

Yea SRC does kinda suck, but the fact that one can play for free as an UBC student is what keeps bringing me back there.

Though UBC badminton club facilities arent any better, atleast its relatively more organized...relatively anyways....lol. I've never tried VRC before, as I've never really considered myself pro enough to play there...the place sounds like its for pretty high leveled players lol.

Sorry to hear about that champion_qh...perhaps some people will drop out of the club after term 1 ends...

7. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

Don't worry about VRC, there are people of all levels there. However I should add if you do go make sure you have someone to sign you in as it is not a drop in, and the crowd can be quite closed to themselves but BF members are always happy to sign guests in.