Newbie needs help choosing racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by godlyatheist, Sep 17, 2007.

1. godlyatheist

godlyatheist New Member

hi, i want to join my school's badminton club for fun and i need help choosing a racquet. My arms are not very strong so a lighter racket(is that 3U?) and not very stiff. I need the racquet to be durable cuz i'm not that rich. I like smashing (bam!!!bam!!!). Please don't recommend racquets that are over 100 USD.

I've looked at the racquet review but it doesn't help me alot cuz i'm don understand what i need. Do i just need a cheap one to start with? Or should i get a more "professional" one? Also, i can't seem to find most racquets mentioned in the review except for Yonex here is US.

thanks in advance

2. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

cheap+durable+light+not stiff = yonex 75MF light =]

3. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    you should see what is available in your area. it would be a shame if we reccomended something and then you couldn't find it :(

i would go with something cheap and not too high end. that way it won't dissapoint you when itgoes through its normal routine of chips and collisions. $40-$80 would be a good price range.

4. Hierkommtnils

Hierkommtnils Regular Member

Fin. Controller
    hey,

if you just started playing badminton, I think the racket choice isn´t so important.

If you buy a "high-end" racket, you will hardly be able to use this racket optimal. My experiece is, that you will test differnet rackets during the time and find your racket over times.

I play now for arround 12 years and just changed from Yonex AT700 to RSL Millenium Diamond X2 Pro (here is a special thread about them) a month ago, because my backhand is simply another class with the RSL.

I don´t know the US market, in germany I would recommend an Oliver or Carlton, like the Oliver "Fetter Smash".

Maybe you´re able to test some racket by players of your team, this should be the best opportunity, I think.

Best regards
    Nils (from germany/old europe :D)

P.S.: tell us, which racket you have choosen...

5. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    how about....FORZA, they are cheaper than Yonex and the quality compares, or an RSL racquet. If RSL try the 6090 Extreme its around $50CDN. If Forza then try out one of their $80 range racquets as i find most of them pretty good, just make sure you don't get their trainer racquet cause its hella heavy. If your stuck to buying Yonex, then try an Isometric 65LT

6. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    forza is a good brand. availability is strangely peculiar, though.

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

For a new player who like to smash. MP45 should be a good start because it is med flex and even balanced. The price is about $99 USD. Depend on where you live and who you know, you might get a better deal than that. Also, a good condition used AT300 might be a better racquet than MP45 is you can find one.

8. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Get a clone racket? Usually they dont cost more than 80SGD.

9. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

if you're just a beginner, I wouldn't recommend anything that'll cost over $50. When I first started in highschool, the yonex isometric did sufficient.

You have to understand, that beginner's level, a racquet that costs $100 isn't gonna be a whole lot different from one that costs $50. so save yourself some money, see how far you'll go, then invest some more if you get in the club and improves. that way, if you wreck your cheap racquet it won't be a huge loss, and if you devide to buy a more expensive one, the cheaper one can always stay as a backup :)

10. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager

the high end racquet may even be worse, as most of them are stiff.

11. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Very true, just get some clones and just hit around. Actually those clones are sufficient till school, state division. I know of some ex malaysia state players using clones as well. Partly is that they do not get the heartache when it breaks.:):).

12. scythe

scythe Regular Member

student and i work as a farm hand(part-time)
    g'day...
    i'm a bit of a newbie aswell and according to one of my friends(the one who got me into badminton) i'm an all-arround player...would anybody be able to give me some advice on which raquet i should get to help me get a bit more power in my smash...i'm currently using a carbonex 8400 Ti...

i like to smash
    i use a lot of drop shots
    and i like to do clears to buy me some time....

please help me:(

13. silentheart

Cab30ms baby!!!

14. scythe

scythe Regular Member

thanks for that...i guess i'd better start saving now...but befor i buy that raquet...would you be ale to tell me the charachteristics of that raquet?

15. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    If you've played with the MP-99, the CAB-30MS is very similar, the only difference being the CAB's oval head and slight lean to head heavy (slight).

Otherwise, as said before it's "slightly" head heavy and has an oval head, is stiff (but nowhere near the extremes), and is an all-rounder with well above average power. Good to use, it has good control and defense, as well as explosive offense. May throw you off if you're not used to oval heads though.

I'll say this again to recap the CAB-30MS, it's like the MP-99 with a more offensive edge and oval head, :) .

16. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    From my experience, Cab30MS isnt a very forgiving racket, i do not really recommend that.:rolleyes:

17. silentheart

Hi Scythe,
    Her is my take and reason on Cab30ms.
    1) you are all around player. So both CAb30ms and MP99 are both good. Cab30 is cheaper. So edge goes to Cab30ms
    2) durability goes to Cab30. Also MP line is being discontinued.
    3) both cab30 and mp99 has about the same head size (mp99 is little bigger) and mp99 has slim shaft. power edge goes to mp99 when off center (user friendlier but both are not to forgiving).
    4) cab30 is great to train you to get the correct tech and strokes.
    5) since you are using a cab now, going with another cab will take less time to adjust.
    imho, 4/5 factors goes to cab30ms over mp99.
    pm me if you are interested in one or 2.

LazyBuddy likes this.
  18. scythe

scythe Regular Member

thanks for that silentheart...but i just won a poker game last night and my friend promised me his sotx woven 8 if i won the game:D:D:D...how different is that raquet compared to the cab30ms and the mp99 coz apparently it's a really good raquet, and is it advisable if i just stick to that raquet instead of spending money on the cab30ms? i'm a student so i don't really have that much money to spend on my gear:(

#18 scythe, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    From Yonex line, I will say cab30ms, just like SH stated. If you prefer ISO head frame, SOTX Woven 8/8A is a good choice. Also, check Kason lines, I believe several models (can't remember the names) are very light, mid-stiff, and well under $70-80 range.

20. silentheart

1) if like it, stay with the woven 8. since you tried it.
    2) it's free, i could not argue against that.
    3) where is the poker game? i am calling police for underage gambling!:D