Rexy is determined to arrest slide

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by X Ball, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Without mixing words, an irate Rexy stated categorically that he wants to see improvement in the Malaysian doubles pairs or else there would be a change in strategy in sending players to play overseas. As it is, he wants to send only 3 pairs each time and the teams have got to fight for those 3 spots.

He wants hunger to come back into the team. He is particularly scathing the way the team had played recently -- he basically said they played like sissies (albeit a bit more polite).

He was not happy with everyone, including KKK-TBH. He mentioned that instead of coming to him to ask why they lost, they disappeared to hide and he had to look for them (this is madness for a coach to have to do that).

Having read this also in the press, I can only conclude the players are very shallow in their thinking. The coach has to 'mollycuddle' them - and to think they have won titles. Rexy said that they think they are great players even though they have lost (this really makes me fume when I read it -- what makes them think they are so good).

I think the Malaysian pairs will not win if they keep up their 'star' status. It is time to bring them down to earth. And I empower Rexy to get them back into respectability!

2. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Sad to read this.....bad attitude....from the players.....what had happened...:eek::mad::mad::mad:

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Tuesday September 18, 2007

Rexy promises action for pairs to regain winning desire
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: Coach Rexy Mainaky is frustrated at seeing a sudden lack of commitment in the national men's doubles team.
    And in terms of desire to win is concerned, Rexy wants the players to look at the Indonesian-American partnership of Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan, who won the Japan Open for the second consecutive time last Sunday.
    [​IMG] Shining example: The veteran pair of Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan showed great commitment en route to winning their second straight Japan Open men’s doubles crown on Sunday. – Reuters
    Rexy cancelled the training session yesterday to give the four pairs – Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Chan Chong Ming-Hoon Thien How and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui – time to re-think their commitment in the national team.
    And there will be a meeting next week when Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif and Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock return home from the Taiwan Open. Rexy will then lay down new rules to get the players back on track.
    Five pairs featured the Japan Open and for the first time this year in an international tournament, none made it to the quarter-finals.
    “It is not so much the results that are bothering me. There were many upsets. But I am irked by the way the players handled losses. I only see slackness in their commitment,” said Rexy.
    “I took Boon Heong to watch the match between Candra-Tony and the Japanese pair (Shuichi Sakamoto-Ikeda Shintaro) in the quarter-finals. Candra and Tony won and immediately after, they went to the warm-up court and trained for an hour. It speaks of their commitment and desire to win.
    “When our players lost, they showed sadness for a while and then disappeared to do their own things. None of them approached me to discuss what went wrong. “I had to go and look for them. I am angry but it is not right if I do not get angry. I cannot be saying that everything is all right. That is not my job. My job is to prepare a committed team to challenge for a gold medal in the Olympics (in Beijing next year).”

4. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I fink both KKK/TBH is busying celebrates their birthday with friends/family. Not unusual for those young lads..

5. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

nothing wrong with celebrating birthday...as long as they know what r they doing, know what should n shouldn't do...

6. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    did they invite rexy ? it seems they didn't :rolleyes:

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Now Samuel is in trouble for telling.:D

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Obviously REXY is not in their invitation list.. Else he won't needs to be so MAD:D:D

9. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

a good reply, Sam...bravo:D:D

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

You just got uninvited by KKK-TBH for telling on them.:D

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Rexy just had a long meeting with the boys today after our lunch today.

Anyway I do agree that some of the antics by the players ( not only KKK/TBH ) does irked the coach.

But sometimes, these kids just don't know how to do post-game studies. They are not educated or shown how to do it. What they know is the daily routine coaching, talk with coach etc..
    Which i think there is still room for improvement. I think i will make time to have a chat with Rexy regarding some matters.

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Any chance of dragging me along to meet Rexy ? I will make time too.:D

13. Rachel Tan

Rachel Tan Regular Member

Good example by Tony-Candra

During MO'07,i saw Tony-Candra trained immediately after the semis matches completed.Then they were so focus and not distracted (some fans were shouting their name from the court side).Without a coach stand by their side,they still showing dedication and self-discipline.Although they lost to KKK-TBH in the final but Tony-Candra already a true champion in my deep heart.

14. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design

I can not tell a lot here without their permission..but all I cay that Tony is so commited and trying to set up example for independent players like him.
    As a matter of fact, Djarum is doing it now...send all players to win tournaments so when they have enough ranking so they can get individual contract...so they can be independent also in the future...

Tony/Candra is commited to win as they have to prove to Yonex to get renewal contract...

15. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Boys, birthday is over, get back to work.

16. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    In this case...we need Rexy back to INA....:D:D:D

Rexy will know where to find INA players hang around...

17. Rachel Tan

Rachel Tan Regular Member

MAS men's doubles team were doing well in the early part of the year.It is surprised at seeing a sudden slide recently. They have proven that they can beat the best in the world.Sometimes they just lack of commitment.As far as striking Olympic gold is concern,they(KKK-TBH&CTF-LWW) should start looking at the bigger picture,with Olympics is just 11 months away.They should have re-think their commitment to the country.(Sorry,no intension to put pressure on them).It is a fact that the MAS goverment and public are putting so much hope on them to win the first gold in Olympic. I just don't understand why BAM or the media perhaps,to "classify'"KKK-TBH as "the best bet for gold medal" in Olympics,while CTF-LWW "to play supporting role".Imagine when all the attention just focus on the pair alone,it will only cause the young lads feeling tremendous pressure.Could they take on the huge pressure?Isn't it good if both pairs to share the burden?

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

What goes up must come down. To get it up again, we need to fill the balloon with 'light' gas - not heavy ********.

In the case of KKK-TBH, my advice is to softly persuade them to focus rather than heavy handed punishing workloads. They need words of wisdom to charge them up, not whiplashes. They need fatherly advice, not teacher's tongue lashing. They need comradeship, not confrontation. I think Rexy is beginning to find that he needs to change tact -- just two or three months ago, everything was going hunky dory, then suddenly everything seemed to fail with all the pairs.

Rexy must get the players to be pro-active in their thinking, e.g. question on their own failures and not depend solely on the coach to seek them out to tell them. As they say failing to plan is planning to fail. I think most of these youngsters are still 'raw' in their thoughts and when things do not work, their world crumble. They must learn how to create opportunities in their thoughts; how to master emotion, and how to overcome failures (as I said plan properly, and if this fails, have an alternative, and if that fails too, have another).

I think LCW will now send a signal to all in the team that success is achievable, even after a huge setback. I clearly want to see a 'RETURN of DARTH VADER' in all our young pairs.

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Let us organise lunch with Rexy (and Nasi Padang, his favourite in Jalan Sultan Ismail) - you date him and I buy. I am real.

20. indra

indra Regular Member

Not yet...let Rexy stay in Malaysia ...MAS badly needs him....
    If Rexy is back to Ina...the competition in the MD will not be stiff....It's good to have Rexy in MAS so that the world MD power is balanced

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.