Tennis Racket

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sgbad, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Hi guys, Just wondering, does training with tennis rackets really work? How can i go about doing it?

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    u can shadow play doin the strokes like backhand clear & forehand clear. Helps to strengthen the muscles + when you go back to playing with ur badminton racket, it will feel really light and ur shots should be more powerful. Theres a few threads on this too. Type in something like squash rackets etc.

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Generally its a bad idea, if you are not extremely trained already..

to train effectively you need to be able to do strokes correctly and att fast speed.. Doing this with a tennis racket requires extreme forearm strength!!! Some pro's do train alot with tennis type racket.. But remember, theyv gone from std. rackets, 2U-racket,s head-heavy U-rackets, training rackets 130g, 150g, 160o g etc.. to squash rackets 180g or so .. gradually buildn strength and speed..

Starting to train with a tennis racket to early will just destroy your technique, or even wors injure yourself.

/Twobeer

4. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Thanks guys for replying to this thread. I am actually at higher beginner now and am currently using a sotx woven7. Which racket or squash racket should i use to train my strength. Replies greatly appreciated.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Desnt really matter.. I would say a 170g Squash racket with as narrow handle as you can get to start of with.. and start jus by using blocks, flat-play.. No Smashing, Overheads, Backhand clears etc to start off with..

A good excersice is to whccak it back and forth just using the wrist and try to record how many 180 degrees (locked forearm, for pronation) you can do in a minute or so.. try to improve that to get faster and faster.. You want fast twich fibers.. not slow and strong ones :)

/Twobeer

6. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Hi Twobeer,
    But will it affect the grip of my racket holding? I am afraid using too big a grip will change my grip as i will try to accommodate my fingers to the big grip.:)

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    That why I wrote "with as narrow handle as you can get to start of with" :cool: Ideally it should be the same grip size as your badminton racket so you dont change your gripping..

An even better option than a squash racket is to buy a badminton training racket (an extra heavy, head-heavy 130-170g (comes in various weights).

/T