quiry: added overgrip & now have more control

Discussion in 'Grip' started by gingerphil79, Sep 19, 2007.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Just wondering if this the grip in which it is thicker & therefore helps with control or have I just improved or is it just in my head?

For example i found it hard to do good tight net shots wit just the normal grip on, i got this overgrip, thought i would try it out, i found for the net shots & shots in general, i have more control of the racket in terms of direction etc.

My hands would be quite big, long fingers & al. Just wondering if this improvement is down to me or the added thickness on the grip.

Also would this grip hinder me in anyway such as getting more power etc?

2. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    Well saying that your hands are big, perhaps your grip size was too small and didn't fit you well enough. You'll find it more comforting and sometimes play better as well if you've found your ideal grip size. If your grip size is small like a toothpick, you may feel uncomfortable always squeezing it, or it may feel heavy and awkward if it's too big.

Overgrip can also help as you said, less stress and pressure on the hands (if you get blisters frequently). Getting less or more power is really dependent on the user, do you feel that you're getting less power?

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If your thicker grip feels better, it's cause your previous grip may have been making your hands slip, causing less power, control, and more blisters. IMO, a grip that improves one of my aspects (power, or control), will improve the other.

4. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Hard to give a straight answer w/o some more "before" info...
    Grips tend to reduce vibrations by acting like a shock absorber. Although this can be a good thing or a bad thing... in your case, it seems to reduce it just enough to give you a more desired feel of the shuttle leading to tighter net shots (you can also say it's absorbing your strength causing the shuttle not to fly as high =P)

Elaborating on what others have already mentioned:
    If the previous grip was uncomfortable (ie causing blisters), most people would naturally (whether consciously or subconsciously) hold back to alleviate the discomfort.
    If slippage was an issue, the new grip can give you a better hold allowing you to have more confidence and possibly even bring out more potential.

Technically, adding a grip causes the racket to be headlighter since there's now more weight on the butt giving more control. Whether or not it will reduce your power depends on your style... Do you tend to have more power with a HH racket or a HL racket? Comfort and slippage also play a role. Only you can determine how these factors add up.

5. Xaviman

Xaviman Regular Member

I think it's because you get a better grip, also adding an overgrip the racket become more headlight so it feels different.

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    it feels good now. I thought it felt quite good before but when i first put the overgrip on, it just seem to fit right if u know what i mean.

I feel my power is about the same, i was just curious as to if it could affect my power which is doesnt seem to have.

Generally i seemed to have better control. Unfortunately i was playing last nite & wasnt playing great, foot work was good but control was not. just 1 of those days i guess :mad:.