any comments on carlton powerblade superlight?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by choovuck, Sep 19, 2007.

1. choovuck

choovuck New Member

hello everybody,

there've been pretty many postings on carlton powerblade superlight/tour racquets already, but there're still lots of confusion

1) so, can anybody explain if the powerblade superlight is a bit headheavy or actually headlight?? www.badmintonalley.com and a few users here described it as even-balanced with a slight hint of head-heaviness, while www.badmintonwarehouse.com and a few other users claim it's head super-light??

2) can anybody who actually tried the racquet share the experience about the power? how are the smashes? i'm inclined to buy it but i don't want to end up with a racquet with which i need to make an effort every time i need to hit a long shot

3) btw it's kind of a sale on the carlton series everywhere (e.g. for the superlight it's $80 while list price is $130). is it just a cheap ad trick, or they indeed went on sale recently?

4) would you recommend to change strings immediately when ordering? i've heard carlton strings suck

anyway, if anybody has any experience to share about it, please go ahead

2. Stijn

Stijn Regular Member

Student
    Since Carlton released the new Fireblade and Aeroblade series, it seems plausible the older models (Airblade, Powerblade,...) went on sale recently.

Most factory strings are bad, and the Carlton's certainly won't be any better.

3. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    1.) Whether the PB SL feels headheavy or headlight depends on your point of reference. Compared to a Powerblade Ti it is definitely head light. Out of the upper end PB models it feels headlight. I would consider it a balanced weight if you compare it to many other brands.

One cause of differing opinions could be the variations. Although the production seems top notch, our group has over 20 PB SLs. We weighed them and there is less than 2 grams difference between all of them. However, there is a noticeable difference in balance. I like mine slightly head heavy so I did multiple blind tests and picked one that felt right.

2.) Please keep in mind this is from our subjective observations. Most in our group feel it has more than enough power. (anyone disputes this can come play with us:) I find that smashes really come "alive" when it is strung with BG-80/85 at 26-28lbs. Other rackets such as my Victor Ti-1, Prince NXG, Prince Beast feel more powerful for smashes even down to 24lbs. At below 24lbs it feels a bit soft. Not sure how else to describe it. Gail Emms really does use it. How many of us can say we are more advanced than her? :)

3.) We get our PB SLs here from Canadian Tire at $50 (and recently with a $10 off coupon... $40!!!). That said, compared to the quality of Yonex and Victor, it should cost at least the price of an AT500-700 or a Powerwave.

4.) The strings are not bad compared to any other prestrung rackets. The tension is significantly better than ones that Prince, Victor, Yonex provide. If you change to 23+lbs with Yonex strings, you will notice a big difference though. In particular, for power shots, BG-80/85 will be night and day compared to the stock.

Side note:
    PB SL wrapped with aftermarket cushion grip and one layer of overgrip weighs 91-94 grams.

Many of the PB SL we bought had cones that came unglued from the wood handle. The first signs of it is the "rubber isolator" cone creaping up the shaft. An easy permanent fix is to unwrap and re-glue with 2 part epoxy.

PB Ti weighs only 2-3 grams more. Users can check under the stock overgrip. You'll likely find 2 or 3 grams of lead tape. The tape we found was about 3-4 cm down from the cone.

4. choovuck

choovuck New Member

thanks a lot!

ph_leung, on badminton alley I can choose strings and tension, but the highest one is 23lb. what would you advise -- take those 23lb on BG strings, or leave the carlton original ones? the point is there're no stores/clubs nearby where i can do this after i buy the racquet

finally, overall, do you advise this racquet? what about PB tour, cabron TT, or PB titanium? from your words i understand titanium is pretty much comparable with SL except that titanium's a bit more headheavy? since that's the only part i'm not satisfied with SL, maybe i should consider titanium instead? (it's actually cheaper)

5. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    I'd change it to Yonex strings but that's personal preference.

I haven't tried the Tour, or Carbon TT. I've hefted a couple of Tours and they feel slightly head heavier than the SL but less so than the Ti. I have two Ti and I find that they are head heavy enough that for some quick rally doubles games I can't make the same shots as with the SL. These are shots where I may make a last moment change of direction etc.

The best thing would be to try both. If you could head here we'd have piles of both for you to try :)

6. xgs1992

xgs1992 New Member

I bought the same racket Carlton Powerblade Superlight from badmintonalley several weeks ago with the manufacturer string. first i thought i was pretty good because it makes this cool sound when u hit it and seemed to be pretty powerful. but after a while i dont know why i still cant smash hard enough and my backhand clear is still weak. I dont really know if it's the string's problem? because the racket is pretty comfortable in my hands. Or is it just my skill's problem?

7. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I have the Lite instead, which is the older model of the S-lite and 2g more. Id doubt there is a hige difference between the two except for the 2g of weight difference. Compared to my other Yonex rackets, you can feel that it is head-lighter. But interestingly, it generates pretty impressive power. I am now using BG65Ti at 24lb with it and am quite happy with the performance. I think the PB Lite is an all-round racket in which you can easily play both doubles and singles with it, i.e. quick and enough power.

I have just ordered a new Fireblade ISO Elite, but due to the postal strike in the UK, I may only be able to get my hand on it early next week. And this one is with stock string, I shall let you guys know how it performs compare to the Powerblade Lite.

8. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Changing to any of the popular Yonex strings feels and seems better for smashes. However, even with the stock strings smash speed and accuracy is OK. If feels soft when you hit it though. The PB SLs we've seen may come with one of two types of Carlton strings. Haven't done a comparison to see if there is any noticeable difference.

(Just picked up 2 PB SLs at $49.99 minus $20 with coupon. Must be the best deal I've seen in a while)

9. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Yeap, Powerblade prices are coming down at the moment as the new Fireblade and Aeroblade are replacing them this year. But if you can get a good deal, I think it is worth getting the older models as they perform pretty much the same, except for having normal graphite than nanocarbons?

10. reach.ran@gmail

reach.ran@gmail Regular Member

carlton pb super lite in canadian tire?

carlton pb super lite in canadian tire?
    I am planning to buy one now, do you know if they are still this in CanadianTire, I am living the Greater Toronto Area.

Thanks [​IMG]

11. reach.ran@gmail

reach.ran@gmail Regular Member

also there is a $20 discount in canadian tire, how come i never find out about these kinda sale? do u know if it is still arond?