User Tag List

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 396
  1. #18
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otsuyaik View Post
    lee chong wei is a good played sometime have big misstake lose tournament if no misstake like japan open can win lin dan and taufik again ,he improved very far but this time is in china very hard to win umpire very unfair same like china master.KKK/TBH before very good suddenly tan boon heong cannot play very hard make KKK lose n sad .hope malaysia no misstake again
    Although 'young', Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong are already a spent force. It'd be quite surprising if they make it even to the semifinals, much less to the winners rostrum at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

    In terms of skill, Lee Chong Wei does have what it takes to win a major event.
    However, he has (repeatedly) shown that he gets demoralised quite easily. And that isn't going to be an asset when playing against the world's mentally toughest badminton players on their home turf.

    Also, the allegation of umpiring bias ahead isn't quite valid.
    Olympic events are overseen by an international panel.
    There won't be any 'Chinese' umpiring.

  2. #19
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The psychics are all out in force.

    Fortunately they predicted Lin Dan or Taufik Hidayat and Zhang Ning to win the Japan Open.

    So there's every chance for every decent player/team to win.

    That's all. Good night.

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weeyet View Post
    Potential Malaysian players for gold medal in Beij ing: Lee, Koo-Tan, Choong-Lee, with Lee having the  biggest chance.

    But can he really do it?
    The answer is yes, everybody who are entitled for OG has a chance to win, even the YoYo King hafiz.

    So what is the point of this thread?? To bash or to praise Malaysian players???

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is the a way to the font of the title of this post so that the whole forum doesn't get stretched out?

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Planet of Lords
    Posts
    7,837
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Although 'young', Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong are already a spent force. It'd be quite surprising if they make it even to the semifinals, much less to the winners rostrum at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

    In terms of skill, Lee Chong Wei does have what it takes to win a major event.
    However, he has (repeatedly) shown that he gets demoralised quite easily. And that isn't going to be an asset when playing against the world's mentally toughest badminton players on their home turf.

    Also, the allegation of umpiring bias ahead isn't quite valid.
    Olympic events are overseen by an international panel.
    There won't be any 'Chinese' umpiring.
    I believe LCW can learn from his mistakes in WC & bounced back strongly in Olympics..
    Anyway, this thread is putting up too much pressure for MAS players

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    3,321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Although 'young', Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong are already a spent force. It'd be quite surprising if they make it even to the semifinals, much less to the winners rostrum at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

    In terms of skill, Lee Chong Wei does have what it takes to win a major event.
    However, he has (repeatedly) shown that he gets demoralised quite easily. And that isn't going to be an asset when playing against the world's mentally toughest badminton players on their home turf.

    Also, the allegation of umpiring bias ahead isn't quite valid.
    Olympic events are overseen by an international panel.
    There won't be any 'Chinese' umpiring.
    Concur with you that kkk/tbh are unlikely to win the gold although they are far from being a spent force.ctf/lww probably have a better chance if they can understand more about using their energy levels in a smarter way against top MDs but be ruthless and never let their guard down when facing lesser opponents.
    However I' m surprised you're still fixated at lcw's image a year ago.Losing the MO07 and winning the IO07 has transformed LCW into a fearless player.(Sure he may have lost in WC,so what?) LCW may not look it but he's probably one of the mentally toughest players.He just needs to hone his tactics to perfection and he'll be quite a scary opponent even to top guns.
    I agree umpires at OG08 will be international but the line judges will be largely, if not all, Chinese.

  7. #24
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Hmmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Concur with you that kkk/tbh are unlikely to win the gold although they are far from being a spent force.ctf/lww probably have a better chance if they can understand more about using their energy levels in a smarter way against top MDs but be ruthless and never let their guard down when facing lesser opponents.
    However I' m surprised you're still fixated at lcw's image a year ago.Losing the MO07 and winning the IO07 has transformed LCW into a fearless player.(Sure he may have lost in WC,so what?) LCW may not look it but he's probably one of the mentally toughest players.He just needs to hone his tactics to perfection and he'll be quite a scary opponent even to top guns.
    I agree umpires at OG08 will be international but the line judges will be largely, if not all, Chinese.
    I stand by my observations.
    KKK and TBH might be great players on their own but this partnership is definitely an empty prospect at the 2008 Olympics.

    If you were to analyze their game, one aspect would become quite clear.
    They're far from capable when it comes to setting up a winning shot.
    Most of their points come from capitalizing on their opponents' errors.

    The ability to kill an even slightly wayward shuttle is a necessary talent...
    ...but what's more important is the ability to set up a kill.
    It was this skill that allowed Joo Bong Park to rule the scene in his time.
    On the day their opponents play a near-faultless game, KKK & TBH would simply wither away.
    And that's exactly what's been happening in recent tournaments.

    Speed, power and stamina don't win games... they only help win games.
    Strategy, positioning and placement are what win games.
    I doubt if KKK & TBH have any of these traits in them, in required measure.

    However, all this could change if KKK & TBH were to strive to acquire such skills. The question is, will they?

    As for LCW, I'd say that you're being deceived by his appearance of calmness.
    In fact, it is a self-imposed mask that helps hide his nervousness.
    Look at how easily he crumbles and begins to bleed points at the last mile... it was evident even during his triumphant run at the Japan Open.

    A mentally tough player would be someone like Hendrawan or Han Jian.
    Even at match point, it was as if they were preparing for the opening serve.
    Although LCW has less than a year to condition his mind and approach, he might just make it there.

    At least, I hope he does.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    KL, MAL
    Posts
    697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    If you were to analyze their game, one aspect would become quite clear.
    They're far from capable when it comes to setting up a winning shot.
    Most of their points come from capitalizing on their opponents' errors.
    Are you sure?

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Planet of Lords
    Posts
    7,837
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In NSS , especially in doubles, which pairs did not winning most of the points by capitalizing opponents' errors. ?
    Whoever make the fewer mistakes will win the match eventually..
    There isn't any pair of the world is capable of playing an error free match.

  10. #27
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default A bit off topic-Or..

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Speed, power and stamina don't win games... they only help win games.
    Strategy, positioning and placement are what win games.

    I doubt if KKK & TBH have any of these traits in them, in required measure.
    ..it could also be the other way around; skill/technique is equally as important...If one has great strategy, positioning and placement, but doesn't have the speed, power and stamina (and skill/technique), how would one be able to execute the shot/play??...

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    indonesia
    Posts
    5,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..it could also be the other way around; skill/technique is equally as important...If one has great strategy, positioning and placement, but doesn't have the speed, power and stamina (and skill/technique), how would one be able to execute the shot/play??...
    i have speed and power.. but i can't still beat TH ....

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    3,321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    I stand by my observations.
    KKK and TBH might be great players on their own but this partnership is definitely an empty prospect at the 2008 Olympics.

    If you were to analyze their game, one aspect would become quite clear.
    They're far from capable when it comes to setting up a winning shot.
    Most of their points come from capitalizing on their opponents' errors.

    The ability to kill an even slightly wayward shuttle is a necessary talent...
    ...but what's more important is the ability to set up a kill.
    It was this skill that allowed Joo Bong Park to rule the scene in his time.
    On the day their opponents play a near-faultless game, KKK & TBH would simply wither away.
    And that's exactly what's been happening in recent tournaments.

    Speed, power and stamina don't win games... they only help win games.
    Strategy, positioning and placement are what win games.
    I doubt if KKK & TBH have any of these traits in them, in required measure.

    However, all this could change if KKK & TBH were to strive to acquire such skills. The question is, will they?

    As for LCW, I'd say that you're being deceived by his appearance of calmness.
    In fact, it is a self-imposed mask that helps hide his nervousness.
    Look at how easily he crumbles and begins to bleed points at the last mile... it was evident even during his triumphant run at the Japan Open.

    A mentally tough player would be someone like Hendrawan or Han Jian.
    Even at match point, it was as if they were preparing for the opening serve.
    Although LCW has less than a year to condition his mind and approach, he might just make it there.

    At least, I hope he does.
    It's great to have the reasoning behind your opinion.I wouldn't worry about LCW's mind. His self-talk under pressure has been good and improving.What LCW needs to do more ,in the build up to OG08, is to experiment more with tactics so as to suss out his opponents' hitherto unknown weaknesses and to put them under tremendous mental pressure.He should aim for that because he has the unique combination of skills for experimenting.For example, he can explore playing the second half of a game quite differently from the first so as to make his opponent's coach advice at the 11-mark interval obsolete.There are many other possibilities to explore.
    Let me say I respect your opinions more when accompanied with your rationale.

  13. #30
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Thumbs down Grrrrrrrrrr

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..it could also be the other way around; skill/technique is equally as important...If one has great strategy, positioning and placement, but doesn't have the speed, power and stamina (and skill/technique), how would one be able to execute the shot/play??...
    Er, what was that again?
    Did anyone say 'strategy, positioning and placement' without 'speed, power and stamina'?

  14. #31
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Off topic-Uuhm, what i meant...

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Er, what was that again?
    Did anyone say 'strategy, positioning and placement' without 'speed, power and stamina'?
    ..(okay, you got me, i didn't word it properly; hope you won't be as "upset")
    ..What i meant was, IMO, all of those factors are equally as important; as, IMO, not 1 or 2 factor(s) is/are above the rest..And, IMO, there are 3 factors:
    -technique/skill
    -stamina/physical aspect (which, IMO, include 'speed, power & stamina') and
    -court smart/mental aspect (which, IMO, include 'strategy, positioning & placement')..

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Penang, Malaysia
    Posts
    2,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananakid View Post
    History tends to repeat itself, and Malaysia has all the history necessary to back up the point that none of its badminton player have what it takes to win an Olympic gold metal. Consider no world champion came from Malaysia since its inception, doesn't that tell you something already?
    here you are........again.........i like you so much bananaboy

  16. #33
    Regular Member danielwong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think is too early to predict and bring this question out now...we might not know what happened in the next few months...however just for the sake of discussion any malaysia men players (sorry gals) be it single or doubles have what it takes to become an olympic gold medallist. be it LCW, WCH or even HH? as for doubles, KKK/TBH, LWW/CTF.... but is now up to the players and coaches to know what they need to do to accomplish this tasks....as many might pointed out...malaysian players tend to shine in smaller tournament and suddenly drop in grand tournament, WC07? is time for them to think of a better way for the players to peak at the right tournament and not putting unnecessary pressure to them. and finally all malaysian must stand by their side even when they are down and not talking bad about them....
    what i can say, is time for every players and malaysians to believe that we are capable to achieve it....just a matter of time....

  17. #34
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Guess what... I won the Hong Kong Open MD bet
    KKK/TBH who?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Although 'young', Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong are already a spent force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    I stand by my observations.
    KKK and TBH might be great players on their own but this partnership is definitely an empty prospect at the 2008 Olympics.

    If you were to analyze their game, one aspect would become quite clear.
    They're far from capable when it comes to setting up a winning shot.
    Most of their points come from capitalizing on their opponents' errors.

    The ability to kill an even slightly wayward shuttle is a necessary talent...
    ...but what's more important is the ability to set up a kill.
    It was this skill that allowed Joo Bong Park to rule the scene in his time.
    On the day their opponents play a near-faultless game, KKK & TBH would simply wither away.
    And that's exactly what's been happening in recent tournaments.

    Speed, power and stamina don't win games... they only help win games.
    Strategy, positioning and placement are what win games.
    I doubt if KKK & TBH have any of these traits in them, in required measure.
    French Open... China Open... Hong Kong Open...
    ...the procession of defeat has only begun
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
    Are you sure?
    I'd strongly think so.

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post
    The psychics are all out in force.
    The psychics were right too.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Gold Medal Goes To ...
    By gidong in forum Olympics BEIJING 2008
    Replies: 1
    : 08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
  2. [request] 2004 olympics md gold medal and bronze medal match
    By sickman in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 12
    : 02-18-2006, 08:05 PM
  3. taufik expects gold medal
    By taufik-ist in forum 2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton
    Replies: 11
    : 11-29-2005, 08:49 AM
  4. Gold Medal match on VCD/DVD
    By agohbtn in forum Olympics ATHENS 2004
    Replies: 5
    : 09-01-2004, 04:13 AM
  5. China's first ever medal in Tennis: Gold!!!
    By Hugo in forum ATHENS 2004 non-badminton events
    Replies: 17
    : 08-29-2004, 09:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •