stringing machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Jason, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Jason

Jason Guest

my friend's wonderin weather to get one or not...
    so he wanted me to ask...
    type
    price
    where to get it

BTW we're in the greater Vancouver area

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    a good place to start is take a look at the Eagnas site. (www.eagnas.com). although they are based in california, their website does have some comparison (of course biased to their products) of competitive machines, and also it's also got some very useful information. your friend needs to get an idea of the various types and price ranges.

if he wants to pick one up locally, the only place i found was Black Knight in Burnaby. most other makes are mail order. you may also find the occasional used one in the buy and sell. i bought my first one desktop unit (Rayco - $150CAD) from a california company, and i bought my second one (electric Prince - $600CAD) by word of mouth from another stringer who decided to retire. his retirement was short-lived he just recently bought himself a small unit from Klipper, which he mail ordered. landed cost him around $250CAD.

3. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Just for reference. I have visited <a href="http://www.stringingmachines.cz">this site</a> recently. The prices look reasonable. I do not have any personal experience with the company.

4. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    I forgot. The price list is <a href="http://www.vis-tenis.cz/cenik.htm">here</a>. It's in Czech currency. One Euro is 30 czech crowns.
    The catalogue is <a href="http://www.vis-tenis.cz/katalog.htm">here</a>.

5. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

See also www.bowbrand.co.uk for equipment or order a catalogue.

6. Jason

Jason Guest

2point 4 point 6 point??

wut's that suppose to mean?? @@
    it is just the nuumber of clamps rite?
    wut's the difference tho?

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: 2point 4 point 6 point??

it means the number of points the stringing machine uses to hold and support the racquet. most machines come with 2, holds the top of the racquet and at the T. 4 point includes a couple of pins (or little plastic braces) that rest at the 3 and 9 o-clock positions. 6 points have similar supports at the (approximate) 2, 5, 7 and 11 o-clock positions. The extra points help to prevent distortion of the racquet when pulling. there are pros and cons to each one.

pros for more points is better support, less distortion. cons is takes a bit more time, depends on each model, if the holes are hard to get into because of the extra point.

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    The company Rayco in california is importing these to the NA market. prices are comparable, previous experience with Rayco, they are quite professional, reliable and prompt with delivery. they are not really into badminton though. very little badminton supplies are offered. just make sure you order for badminton, so that appropriate clamps are supplied.

9. Jason

Jason Guest

tensioner

Drop weight... electronic... spring??? @@"

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: tensioner

drop weight uses gravity, a small weight is set to a position on the lever and the pull created when the weight is dropped, will equal the tension. the trick to this method is to keep the weight horizontal so that the pull is accurate.

spring - is a crank with a limit set to the desired tension. you crank the tensioner, and a the tension set, will 'click' and stop any further tensioning.

electric - motor pulls the string. tension set will stop the motor and hold the string.

electric - pneumatic - air pressure is used to create the tension for the pull.

pros and cons:

drop weight - cheapest units, accuracy is only as good as how well you can balance the weight.

crank - better, more accurate pull. more expensive than drop weight.

electric - less work, may be noisy, may require calibration. more expensive than crank (typically)
    electric - pneumatic - noisy if the motor is running, accuracy depends on calibration.

11. Jason

Jason Guest

O yah...

I was going to apologize to you today about last sataurday... i forgot my uncle was going back to Taiwan on sataurday... so my parents had to get them to the airport... and i forgot so i missed last sataurday... and I will miss tomorrow also
    I was going to apologize to you at cameron, but I did not see you there

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: O yah...

just came back from Cameron. was late getting there tonight, was in Vancouver at the auto show. don't worry about missing, try to come when you can. there are a few more kids tomorrow as well, starting with the program.

13. Jason

Jason Guest

auto show?? ><... is it good? i want to go and watch... but my parents prolly wont let me ><... n... tomolo.. i still cant go... need all the energy i can preserve for the afternoon ^^

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed

auto show was not too impressive, about same as last year, but seemed to be less concept cars. only interesting car was the Sentra SE-R. price/performance it beats all other competitors. i was very surprise at the MSRP.

saturdays at guildford is excellent, since there is no program after us for the next month, the kids get to play to noon (from 8:30). i was surprised that most of them still had the energy after our drills, but they all stayed and were playing the coaches singles. we are preparing some of the newer kids for a junior b tournament at the VRC next month.