Strings for Low Tension (20~21 lbs)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Joyce_anne, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Joyce_anne

Joyce_anne Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi,

Im Jayce, I played badminton wayyyyy..... back on my high school and college years and stopped to persue my carreer as an engineer. Now Im beginning to pick-up for lost time on my badminton life. I currently own a Yonex Carbonex 6000 DF, factory strung (no idea on the tension but does anybody have an idea?). I've been playing with it for a couple of months now to revive my lost swing. My initial feel of the racket was kinda weak (I dont have my youth power no more but the skill is still there). I planning to change my string and tension since the string is kinda lame and looks like a generic brand string (No markings on the string that is typical with yonex strings). Im looking for a string that is suited for 20 to 21 lbs of tension. I dont want to jump immediately on high tensions since I need to learn the basics again so 20 ~ 21 lbs is my optimal tension for now. I need a string that is durable enough, will hold its tension and has decent power and control on smashes. Yonex Strings is the most available brand around my place. Also, I cant find the specs for Carbonex 6000 DF on the net (maybe coz it a low end racket) does anyone got an idea of its tension range?.

Thanx.

2. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    using such an ancient racket @ such low tension u won't really get much power n control..cuz the higher the tension = more control..so yea..

3. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    You can't go wrong with BG80. The only thing I don't like about it is its lack of availability in black and red. :)

4. Joyce_anne

Engineer
    Yup its kinda a ancient racket. Since I just started again on the sport after a long hibernation period, I decided to get a standard racket first to try to find my kind of play/racket type (Stiff, tension, flex, grip etc etc). Dont wanna waste money immediately on a expensive racket that Im not sure if it is the right one for me.

For the Post from the Phil. Guy,

Salamat sa post. Magkano ba ang BG-80 jan sa pinas. Meron dito sa china kaso baka Jafakes dito. San mas mura sa Toby's or Chris sports ?. Kung gusto mo hanapan kita ng BG-80 dito na red.
    San ka madalas palo?

Thanx

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i suggest bg66 for low tension.

please keep the posts in English. thanks.

6. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Yonex strings cost the same per model regardless of where you buy it.

Thanks for the offer but I'm sure any Yonex BG80 that comes in red is fake. :)

7. Joyce_anne

Engineer
    Sorry for the "tagalog" reply earlier. Kinda lonely here in china and I was a glad to meet someone from my home country on the forum.

Thanx for the advice on the BG-66.

Also, as I said I'm here in china now and Im worried that I might get a clonely yonex here (its quite usual here hehehe). Any tips to spot the Cloneys :confused:

Whats the recommended string pattern for low tension for 20 to 21 lbs (20x22 = 21?) (19x21=20?). Please correct me if I got the math wrong :D. Most of the factory strung at low tension they said has a same tension for the main and cross is it ok at low tension? Most of the forums is all about High Tension and I seldom see details about low tension details.

8. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    learn how spot cloneys....www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31873

factory strung string is terrible.....:p
    go for BG-66 @ 22lbs(21X23)

9. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    yes i agree with drifit's recommendation to use the yonex bg66 for a low tension racket since the "high repulsion" feature of the bg66 will compensate for the low tension capabilities of your current racket.

10. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Until recently I strung all my raquets at around 21 pounds. Dinkalot got my to try a much softer string - the Ashway micropower and Power Gut and I've found I had to go to higher tension ( 24 pounds to get the same feel as the stiffer stings.

Gosen string in general, Forza and BG-65 are all string that I've found work well at the 20-21 pound range. Teh sopfter string liek Bg-80 and MP will be very "mushy" feeling. Power won't be too bad but control will be brutal.

I'd aslo stick with .7 or .72 mm string - the thinner stuff doesn't last long at lower tensions.

11. Joyce_anne

Engineer
    Thanx for the posts.

Can u tell me more about the Forza string Wolff ?. I remember I happen to see some Forza brands while checking out some shops here in china. I will try to send the models they have and can u be more specific on what Forza String model?:)