Missing the shuttle while executing a serve (& other concerns)

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by SystemicAnomaly, Sep 22, 2007.

1. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Attn: Moreland players ...

A shuttle missed during a service attempt is a fault according to the following laws:

13.1 (It shall be a ‘fault’) if a service is not correct (Law 9.1);

9.1.9 (In a correct service) in attempting to serve, the server shall not miss the shuttle.

Some related laws:

(In a correct service) the movement of the server’s racket shall continue forwards from the start of the service (Law 9.2) until the service is delivered (Law 9.3);

9.2 Once the players are ready for the service, the first forward movement of the server’s racket head shall be the start of the service.

Once started (Law 9.2), the service is delivered when the shuttle is hit by the server’s racket or, in attempting to serve, the server misses the shuttle.

On the topic of a legal (or correct) serve:

9.1.6 (In a correct service) the shaft of the server’s racket at the instant of hitting the shuttle shall be pointing in a downward direction

Note that it does not say that the shaft of the racket needs to be pointing in an upward direction in order to be a fault. The wording of the law implies that the service is not correct (legal) if the shaft is parallel at shuttle contact.

These rules were extracted from the BWF site under the topic, Laws of Badminton.

2. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    "Dead" shuttle

According to Law 13.4.1, it is a fault is a player touches the net or its supports while the shuttle is in play. Now pay close attention to the wording of Law 15.

15. SHUTTLE NOT IN PLAY

A shuttle is not in play when:

15.1 it strikes the net or post and starts to fall towards the surface of the court on the striker’s side of the net;

it hits the surface of the court; or

a ‘fault’ or a ‘let’ has occurred.

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    one question. i was umpiring a game. and one of the guys had this serve, which i though was illegal.

he'd take a small swing, stop, then a big swing, like deception. it's like the deceptive netshots, you set up, high, let the racquet drop quite fast, then come back but so it looks like a lift then stop at the last minute. in this persons case, he'd take two swings basically. one short, then the main one. is that illegal?

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Once forward motion has started, if the racket head stops or moves backwards then it's a foul serve - the serve has to move forwards in one continuous motion (but variations in speed are fine).

5. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    if he does that then it's illegal

6. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I never know this is illegal :eek:
    I was playing this trick in a couple of Friendly games.. But not even get a verbal warning by the umpire or service judge ;)

7. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    As I understand it, the racquet dropping mentioned in the post is NOT during the service... shifty is referring to a deceptive netshot, isn't he? If so, then of course that's not illegal.

If he begins a service with a slow swing and sharply or suddenly increases the speed, that's not illegal.
    If he begins a service with a fast swing and suddenly slows down, that's also not illegal.
    If, however, there is a reversal of the forward motion during service, that is illegal.

8. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

what if in the course of the backward movement of your racket, you hit the shuttle and it drops to the floor?

9. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i guess have misunderstood...but i thought he was referring to dropping the racket head after the forward hitting stroke had started...

now that i tihnk about it, i guess he might be referring to the dropping action before the forward hitting action...

10. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    The way I interpret the laws, this would not be a fault. According to Law 9.2, the start of service is defined as the 1st forward movement of the racket (once the players are ready for service). Therefore, the backward movement of which you speak occurs prior to the start of service and the error is not a (service) fault.

However, if the serving player performs the error and, even tho' the shuttle has already dropped to the floor, initiates a forward swing anyway, then this would be a fault since, by definition, the service has started and the player has missed th shuttle.

It is unlikely that this last scenario would occur or, if it did, it is unlikely that law would be enforced.

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    sorry for all this confusion. i'll try to describe his stroke. starts a forwards stroke, then stops it, short stroke overall. then pulls racquet back slightly, then palys actual serve stroke.

12. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    If you've been reading the posts above, it should be obvious that this is a fault-- not a correct (legal) service motion.

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Absolutely illegal. :)

14. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    wait.. so when you're serving your racket can't come to a dead stop?
    my friend and i were fooling around one day and we tried to think of deceptive, yet still legal serves so we pretended to do a high serve but immediately stopped the racket AFTER contact so it'd turn out to be a low serve

so since we stop it after hitting the bird would it be legal?
    what if we continued the swing motion just VERY VERY slowly?

15. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    This i believe is OK because the stopping motion has happened after the shuttle has been hit. It is only illegal if the stop motions comes before the hitting of the shuttle & after the forward motion of the beginning of serve.

Please correct me if i'm wrong but this is what i understand from it.

16. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Yup, this is a correct interpretation.

the_oro
    , carefully read the wording of Law 9.1.7 and 9.3 to determine if your service experimentations with stopping the action of the racket comply.