Newbie needs help for shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by jseto, Sep 23, 2007.

1. jseto

jseto Regular Member

Hey, im a high schooler, (15) and ive started to take badminton more seriously. ( I mean A LOT more meaning ive started taking lessons and playing in more drop ins etc.) I already gotten a new armortec 500, now i need help with shoes. The ones im using now are basketball shoes LOL. I dont have any running shoes (because i have a broken pair of timberland sneakers and nike air forces). My basketball shoes.......well, you get the picture. Im really striving to be able to join my school team this year, and so since i got my birthday money (im chinese , red pocket) i have decided to get a new pair of badminton shoes over getting a mp3(im serious, i havent even bought 1) or a video game (keep in mind im still a teen). So i need help choosing a pair since im a noob lol. My price range is anywhere from 50$ up to around 100. I dont want to spend a lot.

so can anyone reccomend me anything? and if so, (if you live in the gta) reccomend me where to get it? Thanks!

2. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    SHB41 is a good begginers shoe, and it good for experienced players on a budget....im in you situation, tho i have been serious for a while now...but im short on money..so SHB41s are good

3. jseto

jseto Regular Member

im concerned about durability. Is it any good compared to the other models?

4. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    well, i just switched to the 41s, because i wore out my old ones, needed shoes quick, and didnt have the money for another pair of 80s..so far their good shoes, but im not too sure about durability

5. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    try shb100ltd = 0 if you can get them for $100, or you can try shb99s which are about $10 cheaper than shb100s which are $10 cheaper than the LTDS

6. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    I would just make sure that whatever you buy, the grip/sole is good - for me it is the most important factor. So buy a proper indoor court shoe. This may seem obvious - but I know some of the beginners at our club have bought tennis shoes (they were told they were badminton shoes in the sports shop) and wonder why they slip.

Some of our club's best players play with the cheapest of shoes because they fit well and have good grip. Find out what's comfortable for you by walking around in them for a while in the shop. Even within the same brand you will get big variations I have found one pair to rub (the expensive pair) and the other pair (same brand but much cheaper) to be a perfect fit. What is good for one player will be bad for the next.

There are lots of good brands to chose from Wilson, Victor, Asics, Yonex etc, so you should find a choice of shoes within your budget.

7. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    Are you a girl or boy? What size do you wear? May be some member here has an extra pair and is willing to sell it for cheap! You never know........

8. jseto

jseto Regular Member

Im a boy about 9.5 foot size and im 15 tho.....

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    For the Yonex shoes, you may want to go a 1/2 size up because they are narrow and tight fit. For the same reason, you foot may not have room inside to move so it can actually hurt you instead if your toe(s) starts making contact with the front of the shoe as you are moving around the court.

10. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Yonex are great, Hi-qua has some good ones that are cheap and I've heard the new Adidas court ( narrow foot) and Nike ( wider) court are pretty good.

11. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

I can recommend Victor shoes. They will only set you back about $40.00 and are very similar to the Yonex shoes I've tried (SHB100). They are light, grippy and you could get two pairs. If you can find Victor shoes where you are give them a try.

Tim H

12. kansatish

kansatish Regular Member

Never had a chance to try Victor shoes. Any particular model? I currently use SHB-99 and find them very good. But if I can an alternative at a cheaper price...then should take a try..

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The best way to shop for shoes is to visit the store (badminton specialized ones, or badminton gym pro shop), and actually try it on. Big sports chain might have some choices, but you might taking a risk of getting shoes designed for other sports, as you seem don't have too much knowledge on badminton shoes selection.

Go to badminton specialized stores, tell them about your budget, and ask for recommendation. Try the ones you at least interested, and make your decision. Badminton shoes need to be perfectly fit (make sure try shoes with the socks you will play badminton with), too large or too small can both cause injuries.

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Just to add on top of Lazybody.

Try actually moving or lunging with the shoes on in the store because your foot would natually expand. This would give you a better idea if the shoe size is suitable for you or not.

15. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

mizuno 9kv series. although it's a v-ball shoe, it can be used in badminton. the only reason that it's readily available everywhere, it's low enough (don't have too thick of sole), and you can try them. you DON"T have to use yonex or badminton specific shoes to excel in baddy. umm... other choice is squash shoes. or if you have to, tennis. basically look for the one that provide enough support but don't have too thick sole/insole.

as for durability: it takes 2 years before mine shows any significant wear on the sole (3-4 times a week, 2-3 hours). well, it less grippy for sure. but dust on the floor will slip even the grippiest shoes.

#15 Double_Player, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  16. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    since u live in GTA u can go to local store and try out the shoes they have, im talking about going to a badminton specialty store, their's several plus some clubs have a proshop that carry shoes and once u find a pair u like and the right size order it online were its cheaper, like http://www.mybadmintonstore.com which i love since its really great prices and free worldwide shipping.