Crazy Idea...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Jason, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Jason

Jason Guest

Anyone tried stringing their racket with 4 knots and one type of string for corss and another for main??
    wut r the results if someone were to actually do it this way?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ask Kelvin. He's done this before. I don't think the results were very significant.

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I would agree because you're almost sticking hair out when trying to compare the traditional knots with 4.

4. Tim

Tim Guest

wouldn't tension hold better???

Cause one set is let's say 22lbs
    The other set would be 24lbs
    They would always stay at this poundage, to a certain extent.

With one set of strings, the tension will tend to balance out after...24 becoming looser, and 22 becoming tighter...

Or do you mean stringing one set with BG 65 and the other set with BG85???

5. Jason

Jason Guest

well... i was thinking maybe when u put a more durable string and a weaker but more repulsive string at a higher tension, tension would not drop due to the durable string and power would be not too shabby since the repulsive string is also in place?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Maybe so but the lifetime of the racquet strings will be still be limited by the "weaker" strings. You won't increase the lifetime of the strings just by replacing half the strings with more durable strings. You'd have to put the more durable strings(cross and mains) in the area where the string breaks most frequently i.e. the sweet spot area.

So why bother?

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    About having the strings at two differnt tentions it's hard to tell my badminton rep, who is a stringer saids that it's almost sticking hairs out when trying to compare different tentions with cross and main. When I asked him what he does when he strings rackets, he makes cross and main the same for the tention you're looking for.
    -----
    Tention could hold better with 4 knots. Speaking of that, stringer actually does 4 knots which I didn't realize until Jason asked about it and I decided to check my rackets to find out.

8. tfc

tfc Guest

durable for main, playable for cross

People in tennis do this quite often. Main is the one usually breaks, so one
    can use a more durable string for main and more playable one for cross.
    I would say use 19 gauge string (or 18) for main and regular string for cross.