Wong Choong Hann

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by dimitri, Sep 26, 2007.

1. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

Sandakan,Sabah, M'sia.. currently in Auckland, New
    [​IMG]

I hope this is nota re-post thread ... recently i've notice thaht WCH is 1 of the most hardworking veteran player even though he has a very terrible injury, he did not even think to give up but he kept on moving forward instead. As his target is to play in the 2008 OG, he ranking climbed up to the top 20. I do knw some of you guys will think that there are some other players also doing what he's ding now such as Ronald Susilo and Peter GAde, but for me, he's different. He also join some 2 start tourny event. Anyway.. i just hope you guys out there can post some of his achievement when he started to be MAS no.1 player. AS far as i kow, he's 1st gold medal was 98 CG in KL. Can anyone of you guys remeber who did he beat in the finals..? Was it YOng Hock Kin..? And i also remeber that there was once i saw him playing MD..but i dont quite remember who was his partner thaht tim hehe.. During the 98 CG, he has also played MX partnering Lim Pek Siah if i did not mistaken.. By the way.. i managed to find a little of his info.

Wong Choong Hann [​IMG] Malaysia

NAME:Wong Choong Hann

DATE OF BIRTH:17/02/1977STARTED

PLAYING:pLAYS:Men's Singles

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:Malaysia Height: 1.83 m

Handedness: Left

Place of Birth: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

2. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Yes it was YHK whom he defeated in 98'CG at KL ;)
    His ever partnered Choong Tan Fook or Lee Wah Wah , even Chew Choon Eng for some tournys :)
    YHK was also a exciting players.. Wonder where he has been to recently?

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A quick check aaand....

.......i've managed to find this thread, also titled WCH (under different spelling of his name though);):):
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14688

However, your post provides the basic info abt him. Not sure if kwun wants to merge the 2 or not?:confused: There are also a few threads related to WCH as well. Thanks for contributing.:cool:

4. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

As far as i know from th former MD player who i met during the NZ open, Chang Kim Wai, he told me that YHK is now in Melaka.

5. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

well yea .. i hope this thread wont stop all in a sudden..WCH is a really great guy. I was quite lucky to meet him as i was thinking nto to play in nz open because i dun wanna miss any class, but my coach said that just join it to gain some experience even though im not playing for NZ or M'sia and try to get used to in big tourny and learn from diffferent players from out of NZ..but I had to put on a shirt under M'sia instead of NZ coz im not a citizen here. Anyway, i do remember before WCH 1st match againts John Moody, he was waitting at the warm up court and i was there walk passed him after my 1st match, i accidently dropped his rackt off the bench where we put our bags..i was so so worried + a bit of scared coz he looked so so serious like wanna eat someone and i said "sorry sorry sorry.." all of a sudden, he smiled at me and said "it's ok.." after his match, he sat on a same table with CCM, Jeremy Gan, Chang Kim Wai and OEH..On that moment on, WCH is a different person from he looks like on the court. OEH was the funniest among them as he kept on asking me where is the best place for clubbing .. sweat..~ Over all, it was a good time there and i din regret to miss some classes .. :p all of them share their experience with me and gave me some tips on the court such as how to let the oppenent have fear on u. Especially WCh..he shouted "HEH!!" before he serve or when gets a point..adn of course ..thaht was very loud. Since then i understand why some players shouts on court (appart from cheering for themselves)

6. Nievk8701

Nievk8701 Regular Member

Trader
    wow u play in NZ open?
    u mus be vry good player then....
    WCH is one of my favourite player, i love his fightin spirit, he nvr gv up his match..

7. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

haha.. im not really a very good palyer .. just average..~ Well.. yea .. WCH never gives up any of his match. I saw him playing againts LEe Tsuen Seng in the semi-final..it was a rubber set..the both faught like enemy on the court..but after the match..they are different person...they also liek "high 5" to ech other and said "man u were so tough la" That's not the only 1...THe other 1 of his match was in the quater finals againts the indonesian young player, Alamsyah Yunus..he won narrowly 22-20 in the 3rd set. That Alamsyah really pissed him off bcoz of his attitude jumping around the court when he got the match point at 20-19..haha it was funny moment when WCH was in the warming courts and told me tht "tht fellow pissed me off..but he was really good in using his brain" with a smile. He also complained the same thing to Ismail Saman and Sairol he said "kalau tadi u yang main pun bengang juga kan?"

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    He is a real badminton player in the truest sense. I admire and love his work ethics.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    WCH - One Among Equals

I don't remember in which tourney this was... but I do recall seeing him make Shon Seung Mo look like an utter novice in a final or semifinal match. :eek:

With his height, speed and muscular build, Wong Choong Hann could have tormented even the fastest players at will (although he might have been stretched by the slower, more tactical players like Taufik). But he seemed to crumble against the more 'fancied' players (like Xie Xuanze).

The sad point (as can be seen in many of his later matches) is that Wong Choong Hann seemed to lack confidence in his own agression. :(

I could be absolutely wrong about this (and I mean no offence) but I believe Malaysia never provided Hann the kind of backing that other nations give their aspiring stars. :)

It nearly happened again... with Lee Chong Wei. :rolleyes:

10. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

I think the match that u were talking about was the 2003 WC SF. You should have seen the final match when he was playing againts XXZ..the 2nd set was a really match.

And yes.. you're certainly right..he was one of the fastest players on court. Even Sairol said that he couldn't even be as fast as him in those days.

11. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    i really like Wong Choon Hahn, i remember he's the first ever player i've watched since i was little... admired him a lot, esp his skills and personality... a hard worker, never say die kinda player (FKK-like?)...

hopefully he can do well in the upcming Macau Open, and Denmark/French SS... Jia you WCH!

12. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

haha same here man... athough i used to know Sideks Brothers when i was 8, but i never seen them play on the tv..yea.. too young that time and only know who thayare. The 1st time i saw WCH play on tv was the 1998 CG. He always set up a good positioning so that he could do those net kill as much as possible. I was like."wat the heck..? easy point for him.." Hope to see him playin in 2008 OG :D

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Mr. "Poker Face" is one of my favorite for these years. His game against XXZ (another favorite) in WC2003 made me almost crying. Even though, I would love to see either of them to be crowned, but I know get both of them to be the champ in that event is impossible.

I believe WCH captured China Open (or master) in 2002. He defeated CH in MS final. :rolleyes:

14. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    If I am not mistaken... WCH has gained a huge fans base in China ....:eek::cool:

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    As nice as he is, I am not surprised that he could be popular anywhere. ;)

16. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

haha..not only in china..in New Zealand as well...or we could say most of the people who like badminton knows him..? haha ..1 of my not so close badminton mate asked me try to ask him for permission to take pic with her coz she was shy

17. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    Poker face? haha... dats a good one... serious on court, funny off it... wonder how he is really in person... would like to meet him, and ask for a few tips... hehe...

China Open 2002, or rather 2002-03 was his best period, i believe, winning the Dutch Open, China Open, Taiwan Open, and WC finalist, among others...

now's the time to make his next step to reaching the top 10, and hopefully winning a title!

18. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

Monday October 1, 2007

Badminton: Choong Hann brightens Beijing Olympic hopes
    By RAJES PAUL (www.thestar.com.my)

PETALING JAYA: Seasoned singles shuttler Wong Choong Hann (pic) has moved up to be the second Malaysian among the top 16 in the latest world rankings.
    And the 30-year-old intends to keep it that way until the qualifying period for the Beijing Olympics ends in May next year.
    Choong Hann will be out to consolidate his 16th position with a good showing in the Macau Open, which begins on Wednesday.
    He has a very good chance to rake in valuable ranking points in the absence of world number two Lee Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim, who has dropped from 19th to 22nd place in the rankings.
    At the moment, Hafiz and world number 17 Lee Tsuen Seng of KLRC Bhd are the main threats to Choong Hann's Olympic hopes.
    A country can have a maximum of two entries if their players are among the top 16. But three players are allowed if all are among the top four.
    “The bid to qualify for my third Olympics is keeping me going right now. If I do not make it, I will stop playing for the country. I have made up my mind,” said Choong Hann.
    “I still have the chance to qualify as the second Malaysian singles player for the Olympics. I will have to raise my game a notch higher.” After topsy-turvy outings this year, Choong Hann is looking for more consistency, starting in Macau

19. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    He needs to work harder from now on.. Participate in more tournaments, meanwhile he have to take accounts not to aggravate his old injury...
    It will be nice to see he plays in Beijing next year, alongside with LCW..

20. sweetluv

sweetluv Regular Member

i wish to see him continue playing for the country... just hope he will do well in future tournaments... all the best for choong hann!!