De Anza Tournament Badminton Class

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Not_MayBell, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Not_MayBell

Not_MayBell Regular Member

Hey Hey:eek:

Saw Coach Pickthorn on campus today. The tournament badminton class will start on October 14 when he returns from China and is open to anyone, even if they arnt De Anza students. It will be from 6 to 9 or 9:30PM. Anyone who wants to add the class can stop by the PE office and get a add sticker or wait until the first class but it is better to add as soon as possible. He told me that it would probably be a good idea for anyone thinking about playing for the team to take the class to get a head start on getting ready for the start of the season. He also said that he is thinking about starting a boy's club that will play against other schools also. The women's team will start next quarter and he will probably let a few guys practice with us girls!!!!! Coooolll!!

Oh yeah.....just checked online and the class number is PE-13TX-55

mabel

2. AndyL

AndyL Regular Member

Sounds fun. The first class is Oct 14, not this sunday???
    And I was thinking of dropping by this sunday and play. Sigh
    I hope the coach will turn off the AC. I drop by this monday night class the AC was on. Man, my shots are all way off.

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Kewl! Thnx for the info, Mabel. Didn't even realize that there was a weekend badminton class at DA. Last time I saw Bill was a while back at Stanford. Has he recently been coaching a high school team in the area?

Hopefully, coach Pickthorn can get that annoying AC turned off. Many of the more advanced players stopped attending the (other) tournament class after the gym was remodeled and the AC became a major nuisance (not to mention the inferior lighting and less-than-ideal background wall color).

It duznt appear that Dougherty or any of the other coaches really care about the whole AC thing (since most of them don't play the game at all). There was a short-lived badminton club last Fall that had the fan turned off for the tournament class for a couple of months. The club has not really been active since last Nov.

groups.Yahoo.com/group/DeAnzaBadminton/message/24

The women's volleyball team coach is not crazy about the AC either. Between her (Dawnis Guerva) and Bill Pickthorn, we should be able to get the AC off again. It would be ludicrous to run competitive badminton (class & team competition) with those darn blowers running.

4. tecdecs

tecdecs Regular Member

high schooler
    thanks for the news

5. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
  6. AndyL

AndyL Regular Member

I dont see the class at online registration. Also I cant add class unless I have an add code. I took too much badminton classes. The schedule show its 6pm-8:40pm, what is the acutal time anyway?? I might ask some of my friend come over and play. For real the A/C is the big issue for me. I played on monday. Everytime I clear right side of the court the shot is always get blow out of the court. I get strike out over and over again, with the curve balls.

7. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    I went to the online registration yesterday and entered the Call Number for this class = 2919. It correctly identified this class

I've got the same problem. The PE dept office secretary gave me an Add Code for the class & put my name on the roster. I went to the online registration system and entered in the Call # and the Add Code for the class. However, I was then informed that I was not registered for the class cuz I've already reached the allowed repeatability limit for badminton.

The PE division secretary informed me that the instructor should be able to give us an alternate class number at the 1st class meeting for those of us that have already taken badminton at De Anza 6 times (or more). It will probably be something like LLPE-418D instead of PE-13TX.

The flyers for the class indicated 6-9pm. A 3-hour class normally has 20 minutes of break time allocated for it. This is probably why the schedule show 6-8:40pm. It is really up to the instructor if he wishes to keep the gym open til 9pm or 9:30pm. Mabel, did Bill say something about this? I don't believe that any other PE class will meet on Sunday -- so there will normally be no competition for use of the gym on Sunday evening.

If several of us let the coach know that the AC issue is not at all tolerable, we should be able to get it turned off (just as was done for 2 months last Oct). The AC problem also needs to addressed for the team competition starting in the Winter quarter. It is doubtful that the DA team and visiting teams will tolerate the AC problem.

Does anyone have contact info for Bill Pickthorn? I found a home ph# but I'm hesitant about posting it. The only email address that I could find for him is bill@stanfordbadminton.com . Dont kno if this addr is still valid.

8. AndyL

AndyL Regular Member

Last day to add class is this friday. Does this apply to us?? Since our first class meeting is at Oct 14.

9. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Pretty sure that deadline does not apply to "late start" classes such as this one. The PE division secretary told me that if I was not able to register for the class (cuz of max repeatability), Bill could still add me to the class with an alternate course designation on (after) the 1st class meeting.

Would probably still be best to try to add ASAP. Even if you can't register (cuz you are maxxed out), it might not be a bad idea to ask the secretary for an an add code so that she will put you on the class roster.

Note that the LLPE-418D class that is currently listed is not for the Sunday badminton class -- so don't try to use it.

10. bill pickthorn

bill pickthorn Regular Member

Amazing! Didn't realize the De Anza class was generating interest until I received and e-mail directing me to this forum.

To briefly answer some of your questions/concerns. Registration for the class will continue through at least the first meeting on the 14th. I've been told that late registration is OK but it requires additional forms on my part. No big deal. For those of you who have exceeded the credit limit for badminton I should also have an alternate course number.

My plan is to run the class until at least 9 or as late as 9:30 in the evening, in part to make up for the late start but also to get more play time in. The first Sunday I may close closer to 9 since I will have just returned from Shanghai and may be a little jet lagged. I hope to also be open the Sunday night of Thanksgiving weekend for an optional class.

I would like to build the Sunday class into a club, including a men's club team that can compete against other local college and club teams. I'm hoping that some of the schools the women's team will be competing against will also have men's club players that we can compete against informally. It sounds like there is (was last year) interest in a men's club and I'm willing to help in any way I can.

The women's team will start in January and will be run through an intercollegiate badminton class. Even though it is a "Women's" team, I will allow a certain number of men to enroll in the class as long as it does not interfere with the team's training. I hope to get a large women's enrollment beyond the 9 or so that makes up the Varsity team. All De Anza students are encouraged to come and try out.

I've also been told that the PE department is working with facilities to have the blowers turned off during the Sunday class and during team trainng. I explained to them that trying to accurately make a shot in badminton with the blowers on would be like the basketball team shooting at a rim that is hanging from the ceiling by ropes and allowed to swing freely. I think they got the point. Thanks for having links to past discussion on this subject.

If anyone has any questions that I can answer over the next few days before I get back, I do check the stanfordbadminton e-mail address listed in the message above.

I'm really looking forward to this new challenge and am confident of quickly getting a strong team playing for De Anza.

Bill

11. bill pickthorn

joined the forum and posted a rather long reply 2 days ago, don't know why it is is not here??

Class will still be available for registration on 14th. I will have add numbers for those who have exceeded credit limit. Blowers are being taken care of (or so I was told).

Thanks for all of the interest in the class.

I am currently in Shanghai running Special Olympic World Summer Games and will get back to bay area on 13th. If anyone has any pressing questions I frequently check the stanfordbadminton e-mail address listed in a posting above.

Looking forward to the 14th

12. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Bill-

Great to hear from you. Happy to hear that you are on top of the AC fan problem. Hopefully, the facilities ppl will be cooperative on this matter.

You should also be able to recruit players from Foothill College (as was done in the past) since it is De Anza's sister school and probably will not have its own badminton team.

Are you planning on coaching & running drills in the tournament badminton class? Most of the badminton classes at community colleges in the area are nothing more than glorified open gyms. It would be great to see some sort of balance between training and playing.

13. AndyL

AndyL Regular Member

My GOD..drills....please dont...I will hurt myself....I can feel it now muscles hurting, pain my legs, cant lift a finger.....LoL

I havent drills for long time. So Coach be gentle. I see you this Sunday.

14. TLCal

TLCal Regular Member

:D drills are fun,,, :eek: didn't know De Anza tournament badminton class gets so much attention :rolleyes: I remembered 2 years ago when I first took that class it was just like an open Gym,,:( hmm maybe I'll try it out this Sunday too

15. AndyL

AndyL Regular Member

LETS PLAY This sunday 6PM DeAnza College..:D
    Drills are not fun OR maybe I am just too lazy...
    I remember when I was there years ago ago ago a....g....o.... It was fun and more better players..Everyone kick my butt easy...Even the girls.....sigh....
    Meanwhile Coach have fun over at Shanghai...
    Then come back give the students much needed exercise...and I stand there and watch......:rolleyes:

16. tecdecs

tecdecs Regular Member

high schooler
    YES Andy lets play on sunday 6pm =] pick me up 5:45pm v^^ HAHA

17. AndyL

AndyL Regular Member

In your dreams....take the bus

18. bill pickthorn

Adds and fans

OK turnout last night. About 17 people, though only 12 signed in.

I can continue to add people to the class through this week, I will just need your name as it appears on De Anza registration, and your student ID number. Foothill students number should also work. Andy, Systemic, and others in the same position, I have add codes for those who have exceeded the badminton 6 unit limit

Assured fans will be off next week. For those of you who left early, they went off about 8:30. Wrong setting on the clock (or so I was told).

I promise to be gentle with the drills. Just a few to introduce you to maybe some new ways of looking at specific footwork, strokes, etc.

Encourage anyone else who might be interested to come join in.:D

Bill

19. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    I guess that Bill may or may not still be able to add ppl to this class on Sunday, Oct 21st. Best bet is to try to add by Oct 19th, Friday afternoon, by contacting Bill (with the info he mentioned above) at his new email addr:

pickthornwilliam@fhda.edu
    (hope he duznt mind me publishing this)

Judging from the 1st session last week, it appears that the class format will be quite good -- everything that was hoped for. There was a good balance between warmup, drills and play. The warmup & drills were not at all overwhelming and there was more than ample time to get in plenty of game play.

20. bill pickthorn

Hi;

I was told today that since the class got a late start I can still add people to the class this Sunday, the 21st, but forms will need to be submitted on Monday. There is still room in the class if anyone is interested.

Bill