Exercise to strengthen your FINGER

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by h4n5ip, Sep 26, 2007.

1. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

I've heard from couch Lee Jae Book that to defense smash is using finger power rather than wrist power:rolleyes:.

Any of you guys exercise your finger :confused:
    If does, do you think it can improve your skill in defensing smash?

I am thinking of exercising using a tool that you normally squeeze within your finger (I am sure you guys know what I am talking about). :D:D

Pls share your experience

2. Ichiigo

Ichiigo Regular Member

I use a powerball and it's quite effective.

3. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

I have used also Powerball. Doesn't it use to strenght you wrist mostly?

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The usage of the thumb and the index finger in your different grips

Hi h4n5ip,

I find that the usage of the thumb (in the backhand grip), and the index finger (in the forehand grip), are the ones to give you the most important control to direct the returns of your shots.

Many players, when expecting a smash, hold their rackets with their backhand grips, and with their thumbs behind the rackets' handles, to return smashes.

Your grip is to be loose and your wrist is to be relaxed for best flexibility.

However, your last (little) finger is also important to be strong enough to wrapped around the base of the handle so as your racket does not fly away from your hand while your grip is loose.

So, strengthening the index and little fingers, and the thumb is very useful and necessary.

Making any sense to you ??? :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

#4 chris-ccc, Sep 26, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  5. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

Hmmmmm....... I rather got what you meant.
    My question was, do I need exercise for those finger?
    Or do you think when I exercise my return smash will be better of?

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Please don't get injuries

Hi h4n5ip,

Please find a qualified coach on how to do strengthen your fingers.

I would hate that you get injuries with your fingers.

Many players try to save hundreds of dollars not to employ a coach, but then later spend thousands of dollars to fix injuries incurred.

BTW, to strengthen your fingers... you need to do it slowly and gradually. It doesn't happen overnight.

Cheers... chris@ccc

#6 chris-ccc, Sep 26, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  7. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

Thanks for your help
    I know Rome wasn't build in a day.
    I will try to exercise and hope it will help my defensing smash.
    what about you any particular exercise you take for this.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I do what LJB suggested... a 20 sec 'plank' with fingers only (might even throw in a few push ups now and then) and sometimes squeeze a stress ball while I am commuting. You wanna strengthen your defense, learn how to defend properly and do lots of drive rallies.

9. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    So in conclusion, are the strength of my fingers very important in a game?

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

The strength in your fingers is derived from your forearm muscles. If your fingers are fast enough to switch grip to change the face of the racquet in relation to the return shot, you can potentially place your return anywhere in your opponents' court (eg. netshot and smash defense). In addition, a good smash requires a sure grip and an explosive pronation of the arm to generate power and steep angle.

11. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    :):)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best exercise to strengthen the fingers is to squeeze squash balls. You can do the exercise when you do your morning walks or do it along with any activity which does require the use of the hands.

First you squeeze the ball placed on the palm with the last 3 fingers together. You then use only the thumb, then the index finger and lastly the third finger. Squeeze 30 times for each exercise. Squash ball is the best as it is elastic and does not cause callus unlike the hand grip which is hard.
    The exercise is also good for blood circulation.

12. leonheart88

leonheart88 Regular Member

training your finger

:)
    Yes... for me finger is one of the most important part whether during smashing or defending... or even flat ball.... tapping.... every stroke use finger... Yes. doing push up using finger is good. But not really effective for badminton.. that one better for basketball i think:)
    Since during badminton game, u are holding racket. So i think squeezing the A3 paper is good exercise for finger. Press the paper forcibly together using all the fingers... like compressing it.. until the A3 paper become damn hard and sphere in shape..:)
    Any command about this exercise?? Can hava a try first

13. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

theres a few equipment to strengthen ur finger.
    1. squishing tennis/squash/squish balls
    2. v shape like. the one that u squish with spring coil at the angle end
    3. the one that u hold inside the palm and has 5 springs for each finger.

sorry for crappy explanation. do rock climbing or perhaps if u are strong enough do push ups with your fingers.

14. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Why is it that no one mentions the obvious answers?!

How about practising many, many drives? Not only does that strengthen your fingers, it does so in a sports specific way and you refine your motor control/technique all at the same time.

Then, if you need something more you can do manual resistance exercises with a racquet.

Only if the above exercises stop working, should have to rely on some general strengthening exercise.

15. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

some players dont get that much air-time on court. we have to train outside too. whenever, wherever. shadow drives with heavy racket works. squishing squash ball just one of the way.

16. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Finger power

Hi guys,
    Agreed with u that finger power is important in badminton. How about squeezing newspapers instead of A3?:p A3 can be quite expensive but newspapers are readily available after yr reading. Well, the only set back is u need to wash yr hands, that's all. I remember the Malaysian Double legend Tan Yee Khan(if I did not mispelled his name);) is one of the double player who had fanstastic n powerful fingers power.:eek: His smash was so powerful, that in a match at India the shuttlecock went through the net......:eek:.
    Lee:D

17. harmono

harmono Regular Member

18. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Regular Member

Student
    Honestly I don't think the power of your fingers is what you should be concerned with. Finger strength has nothing to do with reaction time which is I'd say the most important thing in defending against smashes. After you get reaction time up then you can do all those lovely finger exercises.

19. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    okay well lets just say we have great reaction time because we play table tennis all the time:p i have a powerball and i've been using it sometimes maybe like 5 minutes every day and then i either get bored or tired of the sound, is this long enough? I haven't had the chance to hit yet since getting it soo i haven't had the chance to see improvement. should i do it more often and what not?

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Funny, I thought reaction is built up over time when your body specifically your hand-eye coordination get used to playing the game at a higher pace. Like playing with faster and stronger opponents move your game up a few notches, it's a natural progression. Both reaction and finger strength are important qualities. However there's more opportunities to improve fingers/forearm strength. If there are ways to improve any element of your game, why not pursue them?

You'll find out how important forearm strength really is when you get tired of driving the shuttle in a fast paced doubles game and either mishit or lift the shot. You might be fast enough to react to a shot, but that doesn't mean you can return the shot consistently. It's not all swing and wrist as there are times when you really do have to change the racquet face to reflect your intended placement in a particular game situation. Having a strong finger strength allows you to have more shot options and perhaps even an element of surprise. With surer grip, you can hit even harder and make less mistakes in a fast pace game.

#20 cappy75, Sep 30, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007