which best defensive racquet?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by chris, Apr 13, 2002.

1. chris

chris Guest

which racquet will give the most control and touch?
    should the shaft be flexible or more stiff?

thanks
    chris

2. Lee

Lee Guest

Usually a more flexible racquet.
    USUALLY.

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Chris,

Try the Ti Swing Power SA. It's light/flexable, so you can do very good maneuvers and shots. Good power as well.

4. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    How do you define control ?? And Touch in the first place ?

To me they are not exactly complimentary ..

'Control' is is directing a shuttle where you want it to go 'exactly'. That is often attributed to 'stiff' rackets and not flexi ones.

'touch' is having a good feel of the shuttle and knowing exactly the force you want to apply to the shuttle upon touch. That is usually attributed to flexible rackets and not stiff ones.

So which is which ??

There are certain rackets that have a fine balance of both, one of which is the ORIGINAL Carbonex 20.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    very good definition on control vs touch.
    It's amazing how yonex got the balance correct on their very first piece all graphite racquet.

6. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Definations .

Hi Cooler,

its really quite amazing how people mix up all these terms when they talk about rackets and strings. Like a friend of mine who loves the Ti-10 and claims it has a good feel whereas the MP-100 feels like a dud..

I really couldn't comprehend what he defined as 'feel' when clearly the Ti-10 is such a stupendously stiff racket that is so fantasticly head heavy. Feel ?? I really had a hard time trying to get that correct while experimenting with it.

7. chris

chris Guest

thanks, very good definitions.....

is the carbonex 20 still available?

chris

8. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    They are hard to came by actually. So are the Carb 21's . Almost extinct already.

Haven't seen one in a while.

There are some Carb 20 Tour's still floating around. You'll have better luck looking for those. They are rather good too.

But it all depends on your style of play and level of proficiency actually. For some people it would not be a very good racket to use actually. The ISO Ti SP ss would be a rather good racket for defensive players in my opinion if the characteristics are similar to that of the ISO 900 SP ss as compared to the sx version.

Its very personal. There isn't such a thing as an ideal racket for everyone. But there definitely an ideal racket for each and every individual to look for. Its best that you get to borrow rackets to try and determine the characteristics of the rackets like swing speed, head balance, stiffness, feel etc before you decide and perhaps the people here would be better able to help you at that.

9. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    cab20

limton2001@yahoo.com
    may be able to help you!

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Well a friend of mine who studies in UBC happends to have 2 Cab 20 SP(s) (old logo) lying around in dust since he doesn't have time to play badminton now. I forgot if they are tours or not but they were pretty good when I tried them out. Unfornately at the time I was playing them, the strings were already worn out and was not considering to replace them.

So far one of the strings finally broke while the other still is barely handing on (you can see breaks everywhere). Most likely when my friend has time to playing badminton again, both of the rackets will finally get new strings as I'll see how good the Cab20 really suppose to be.