Grip changing?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Burger_King, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Burger_King

Burger_King Regular Member

nothing at the moment
    Well am wondering if there is any special training to help you get faster at change, from forehand grip to back hand grip, or it just practicing. Well any feed back is helpful. Reason i say this is, so i usually am changing grip then a smash comes, and i screw up. Thanks.

Burger King.

2. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

I guess practising is the only way to do it. In ZhaoJianhua training video, he suggested that whenever you are not on court, you should hold on a racket and keep changing between forehand and backhand until you can do it very quickly and accurately.

3. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    It's the easiest to practice, out of all the skills badminton requires...no need for a court, proper clothes, etc!

4. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    Grip changing will come only with a lot of practice. Just keep practicing it and it will eventually come to you.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Bear in mind that often, when your opponent hits a powerful smash, you won't have time to change grip. There is a limit to how fast you can make an effective grip change!

For this reason, I suggest using a basic grip ("forehand" grip, or "neutral grip" as Lee Jae Bok calls it). This grip is more effective than a full thumb grip ("backhand" grip) for playing backhand lifts. You may find it helpful to adjust the basic grip slightly farther towards a thumb grip.

With this grip, you can cope with smashes on both forehand and backhand sides.

It's still important to practise changing grip quickly, of course.

6. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    ^^ I have read a lot of posts by Gollum and the emphasis on the forehand/neutral grip and have been using it of late. I do find it more useful and easier to play with.
    Smash defence was one of the areas I used it for and see a lot of benefit. It is also easier for me to slightly turn the racquet from this grip and play a backhand clear - without thumb-behind-handle.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Glad to help. :) You're absolutely right about using this grip (or slight variations) for a backhand clear. The full thumb-behind-handle grip is not effective for backhand overhead clears.

8. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i do it will watching TV:D

erm i mean i hold my racket will watching TV...

ah i mean i hold my badminton racket will watching TV and subconsciously switch grips, swing it around, spin it on my finger etc, its really good so that you know exactly how ur racket works, feels, balance, reacts etc, i know it sounds corny but become one with the racket.