Badminton is all about equipment.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Sgbad, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Hey guys. Do you agree with the thread? "Badminton is all about equipment"?

From what i feel, i guess that rackets now are all now built for offense, offense, offense and more offense. Speed, Speed, Speed and more Speed. If we were to give our present equipment (Rackets/Strings/Shoes) to the zhao jian hua/ frostman era, do you think they will be playing like lindan/petergade of today? During that period when Li Yong Bo was playing doubles, their game seem to be more of placing and anticipation, but in today's context, doubles game is more on power, power, power.

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i believe badminton is not ALL about equipment. it requires technique, strength, finesse, endurance, mental strength and a lot of psychology. sure, technology is getting better but isn't that the same as life?
    if alexander the great had better physicians or even better trained soldiers, he would've conquered the whole world.

3. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Yup, So u do agree if today's equipment to their era, they would be playing like today's professionals?:confused:

4. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    To a certain extend equipment do play a significant role in enhancing the game.However, the player too must also have the essential skills and mental health to be top in the game.

I believe that an era should not be compared to another era.There different factors and environment that player then and player now have in terms of equipment.So it is fair to say that (assuming everything is constant) Lin Dan can be a contender to Xian Jian Hua..

5. stork

stork Regular Member

-
    No, disagree. I´m sure you wouldn´t see a difference watching Lindan playing with Carbonex 20, or even Carbonex 8. BTW WongChoongHan and WangChen still use CAB 20. This racquet is about 20 years old and still ok, when you are used to it. Maybe shoes are really better today, hard for me to compare.

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i would say that after a certain point, badminton is nothing about equipment and all about fitness and technique.

obviously there will be a difference between using a wooden racquet and the at900, but i think stork is right, LD's performance would not be much different using a cab 20 compared to using a at700.

and i thought WCH uses a cab 21 rather than a 20.

7. vin88

vin88 Regular Member

Engineer
    one more thing i would like to add, to dreamzz: fitness and technique - deception
    it's near on impossible to get to a shot if they have awesome deception

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

isn't that part of technique?
    hahaha, it's splitting hairs i suppose.

9. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

i think equipmet only comes into consideration if your speed, power, and technique are in place. i could have the world's best racquet but playing against someone who's faster and better feel, i'm pretty sure i might as well be holding a club made out of rock :p

10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i am not agree that badminton is all about equipments. as others already said about techniques, skills etc from player are a must. equipments are to enhance the player's ability. accuray of shots, harder smash, better defend etc..... better shoes provide excellent grip to floor and cushioning feet as land from jump, these will prevent/lower the risk of injury to the players.
    did i mis-interprete something? :D:D:D

11. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    To an extent equipment does make the player, thats only if the player's skill is already maxed out.

12. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    When two players are given same access to equipment, the players determine the outcome of the game. Not the equipment. Though I agree that the equipment has revolutionized the game, with the change from wood rackets to carbon graphite ones, wood rackets however, forced players to use proper technique, but the new light weight rackets allow players to hit 'far' with minimal to wrong technique, causing them tennis elbow and other injuries due to improper swinging technique. The new rackets, have made the game faster though, requiring a smaller swing to generate power.

13. stork

stork Regular Member

-
    But the transition took a little longer. After pure wood i played with steel shaft and wood-frame, then steel-racquet, carbon graphite shaft, then full graphite.

To make Zhao Jianhua, Morten Frost or Yang Yang play like Lindan you need to get back in time and teach them.

What you don´t need is a pair of SHB 200 Limited and Armor-Nano-Tec.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I do agree that the equipment improved a lot (overall) these days, but your opponent's equipment improved as much as yours. Therefore, still is the player him/herself is the key.

With all the equipment modifications or rule changes, the technique or game play might changed a bit as well. However, it's not fair to compare today's player with someone 20 or more years ago. They are all great players, and their technique (not their racket) made them shine during their time, means their playing fit for their ages.

Put this way, W. Chamblen (excuse my spelling) can NEVER score 100 points in NBA these days. And M.J. never scored 100 ever in his career. Which one is better than another? I will say, both are all time great. Both of them changed the game of basketball, and both are superior in their respective time.

Simply compare the stats or draw a conclusion by watching several video tapes is not accurate. :cool:

15. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Yup, so my point is, given today's equipment to li yong bo, frostman, zhao jian hua, will they be playing a faster game of smashes etc?

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe with their badminton IQ, they should be able to adjust to the new system, if they are young enough. However, certain type of players fit for certain type of games the best. Whether they can be the #1 in today's sytem, I don't know. Same as for Lin Dan, you put him back to 20 years ago, he might only be remembered as "aggressive" or "countless smash", rather than world #1. :rolleyes:

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm...

..to most if not all the pros (then and now and in the future), probably not (although shoe & racket technology have improved)..But to us (amateurs, recreational players), most probably yes:p;)..Again, as other posters above have mentioned, technique, being fit and being smart on the court are even more important..Besides, how would 1 reach those drop shots, from the center of the court, if not for shuffling/moving one's feet to reach them??..:cool:..Although 1 interesting question to ponder, how will badminton technology in the future be much different than the current badminton technology??..:confused::cool:

#17 ctjcad, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  18. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

i cant even imagine how fast would liem swie king's smash be IF, he is supported with new technology and his peak.

19. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Lol, i guess you are very wrong with that statement. Technology is always improving, just like the mentality of the players in the past. A CAB8 during my dad's generation to them is like a AT900P/T to us now. During their generation, they would also think, my CAB8 is good already compared to those wooden rackets, how will badminton technology in the future be much different than our current technology? But here we are, With Nanoscience. My dad always claim, this CAB8 is the most popular racket then, blah blah blah. :D:D:D:D

20. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My virtual match score

Obviously, equipment itself will not give modern player like Lin Dan over powering Yang Yang, Jianhua or "ang mo Frost". In my opinion, if you take the prime of the older generation players and play against new era players, I believe new generation will defeat the older generation easily. The new generation is trained full time with help of personal coach/modern equipment, good nutrition of food plus great financial incentives.
    I am not saying the older generation couldn't be as good as good the new generation, rather, they didn't have the advantage of benefits/motivation listed above.
    My virtual match results listed below :(Just for fun, no need to get mad)
    Lin Dan vs Yang Yang : 21-16;21-16;
    Lin Dan vs Zhao Jianhua : 21-15, 7-0, retired due to injury; :D
    Lin Dan vs Morten Frost : 21-12; 21-13;
    Do you want to know the virtual score between Taufik vs the above legend?:D