Agility training - IMPORTANT (please read)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ladyabsinthe, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ladyabsinthe

ladyabsinthe Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to plan a training programme for five weeks, and one of the components im looking at is agility...I just wondered if there was any specific agility training methods and tests to do this??

Replies ASAP would be appreciated ;)

Thanks,

Rach xx

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

for offcourt drills I suggest a lot of fast-foot excersises, like those " run though a set of tires" drills.
    On court, do 20-30sec drills focusing on high-pace defending on full court, be sure to keep the distances you have to travel low, and the pace high

3. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Agility drills

Follow the drills used by the footballers...inside drills you can use foozball in place of the regular football...

4. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Regular Member

Student
    You could do a drill where you place markers/cones about 5 yards apart but on the sides and alternate them, so every other one is on one side. Have them sprint to each cone and touch the ground at cone. This helps with directional changes. The cones may look like this.

#4 ScubaSteve, Sep 30, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  5. ladyabsinthe

ladyabsinthe Regular Member

Student
    thanks guys, you've all really helped! ive just come up with about 3 drills to go through once a week.

Thanks again! :D

R xx

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

It's not so much the exercises themselves that matter, but the way in which they are done. That's why I like to use the most basic agility exercises, like line hops, step hops and barrier hops.

What is important:
    - fast foot contacts (<.2 sec)
    - staying on the balls of the feet
    - precise foot placements
    - minimal movement of the centre of mass
    - movement quickness

So, I would pick a few basic hopping exercises, and test out the number of (quality) repetitions that can be done in 10 seconds. Anything over 10 seconds is endurance training.

Make sure to give yourself plenty of rest between sets. One mistake I've seen coaches do is string together a dozen sets together with minimal rest. That might be okay if you're looking to improve some aspect of your endurance, but if agility is what you're looking for, 2-8 minutes of rest is probably best.