tension in racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Amit, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Amit

Amit Guest

Could anyone tell me what is a reasonable string tension for a racquet. Is anything between 20 to 25 lbs ok. I started playing quite recently and would like to know.

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    As a beginner, you will probably be better off if you stay below 20. Say, in the 16-20 lbs range.

3. Khenglee

Khenglee Guest

I think 21 is good for biginner

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I have to disagree a bit Mag because below 20 is a bit low especially for the long run. Most likely 20-23, somewhere around there.
    --
    Mmm, I'm at 22.85... but I should of moved ot 23 instead of small increments (when I mention my tention in other posts) when I had my racket stringed up this weekend, but the racket plays to my style at least =)

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Well, what can I say? This guy asks for a good tension range for a beginner, and you recommend 23? What level of playing are you at yourself, Matt?

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Mag,

I am playing at a average to advanced level. When I was at the beginnger stage, I tried 18 to find out that was too low and decided to jump with 20 which felt better. I gradually went up to 22, even thou my skill wasn't that good yet and stuck with it for a while my skills improved + strength then decided to increase it by small increments.

Actaully about the ----, I ment off topic so I did not want to count that as part of my reply above.

7. ASD

ASD Regular Member

d
    Re: for this

pros in China team,for exp man-singal offensive player,string their racquets at 32 pds!!! but for most of us afterhours,26 pds is enough. i string my racquets 26/27 pds,it's good for control, comfortable hitting.but hight tension is not good for racquets' life time.for those ecumenic racqets, hight tension is dangerous.