User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Restring racket before tournament or not?

Is it advisable to restring your racket a day before your tournament? I have just noticed how frayed one particular spot is. I'm worried that if the string breaks in the middle of the match without me realizing it, it can mean lost points. I do have a spare racket with the same made and model & similar tension. If the tension was originally 21 and a half, & I've been using it for 6 months, what tension should I string now? Does using thinner string really give someone with weak smash more power?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) if there are fraying on the string before tournament, restring the racquet at lease 2 days before the first match. why? it is frayed because the racquet is your main racquet and you use it a lot and the string will break during the match for sure.
    2) if you have a identical backup and have not used it for a while (ie more than a month) restring it too.
    3) why 2 days? because you can take the same night or following day to hit a few shots and have the string settled.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart View Post
    3) why 2 days? because you can take the same night or following day to hit a few shots and have the string settled.
    I agree. I don't think it's a good idea to re-string the racket, and use it in a competitive game 5 minutes afterward, as you need to give a bit time to let it settle, and get used to the tighter feeling.

However, 2 days seem still too short for me. I usually do mine about 1 week in advance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    If the tension was originally 21 and a half, & I've been using it for 6 months, what tension should I string now? Does using thinner string really give someone with weak smash more power?
    1. Depend on what string you use, how often you play and how hard your stroke is. But I won't be surprised as the tension now is 18lbs or even lower, consider it's more than 6 months.

2. You need to find your own string/tension combo, as everyone is different. In general, thinner string strung within your own comfortable tension range should give you better performance, if you have the correct technique to backup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    However, 2 days seem still too short for me. I usually do mine about 1 week in advance.
    I also second that. At least around a week, I typically give mine about 5 days. If you can do two weeks, probably a bit better.

Right now, I have a new racket, which was stringed about 4 weeks ago and have not used it yet. Probably very settled now!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost agree except if you give our NGP a newly strung racquet 5 days in advance, it will be broken by the day #3. Just kidding.
    I said 2 days is because at lease you will have time to try out the new string before you step into your match. 5 days is prob better in most cases.