Advice for replacement racquet, currently have AT500

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Kaiyo, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Kaiyo

Kaiyo Regular Member

I did have a pair of AT500s (4UG4) but I broke one recently after I slammed it onto the floor when playing a shot (not in anger - I dunno why I did that actually lol). I really regret it now though. However, you can't live life with regrets so I am looking to to purchase another racquet.

However, I cannot decide whether to buy another AT500 (my current one is old colours), or to experiement and try other racquets. I know the racquet does not make the player, but I do want to try other things. It's like buying a new car - its so nice at first, but the drive gets boring after a few years.

I know the AT500 is an all-round racquet which I find fairly balanced as I play both offensively and defensively. I do however, find it a bit light and wouldn't mind a heavier racket if it would improve my game. Lighter is better though isn't it?

Being open minded, I do not have to have a Yonex raquet. I am willing to try other makes such as Babalot, Victor or whatever else is available in the UK. Suggestions based on your reviews and experience would be most welcome. :)

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    At900T sound good choice for the above-mentioned

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you really like the AT500, there's no law against getting one in the new colour:). I always found the AT500 to be fairly unique in the Yonex line - flexibility and head weight aren't usually found together in a YY.

It all depends on your budget: there's nothing really like a 500 for that money (at least in the Yonex line). If you're prepared to go upwards in price, a 900T is probably going to give you everything that you liked about the 500, plus a lot more - it's about 90% as powerful as the MOST powerful Armortecs (my sledgehammer 900P, for example:eek:). If you can find an 800 Defensive, you might give that a go as well (but it might be a bit stiffer than what you're used to). From memory, Lee Chong Wei used a 500 in the 2005 All England Open and now uses a 900T (and we all know how particular pros are about their gear).

As to the weight, it depends on your game. If you're mostly offensive, weight will generally add power but make defence more difficult, and vice versa for a defensive player, but these rules aren't set in stone; I defend very well with my 900P (a veritable ball and chain of a racket). I'll assume your 500 was in the 3U category; if so, you'll have a more difficult time finding Armortecs heavier than this (i.e. 2U) - Yonexes this heavy almost always live in the Nanospeed/MP/Ti range.

You're right to want to experiment, though - the AT500 is getting on a bit now, and dozens of new rackets have been released in the interim. Find a good stockist and start practice swinging!

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Another AT500, or go for the 700 or 900T as your safest other options.

5. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    3U AT700 w/Nanogy 98 @ 26LB

that's what i'm getting this weekend :p