changing G3 to G4 grip, how?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by john, Apr 19, 2002.

1. john

john Guest

Hi everyone! i think i recall someone posting somthing similar... but don't remember the responses.

i'm wondering, what is the easiest, and least troublesome way to change a G3 grip to a G4 grip. is shaving down the wooden handle a good idea? or are there other ways?

thanx in advance for all responses!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Take the leather grip off and replace it with a thinner grip.
    Failing that, shave it.
    If you don't want to do that, buy a new racquet with G4 grip!

The shaving part could be the most troublesome. Buy a new racquet would feel nicest. Changing the grip is cheapest?

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    The other thing to do is if you have a very old racquet (or broken racquet) with the right size, take off the handle from your racquet and replace it with the handle from your old racquet (you will have to reglue the handle onto the shaft and regrip the handle).

Note: I have never done it before so if you decided to proceed with this suggestion, you do so at your own risk :)

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hi,

Well if your racket is still like new (no scratch!!), you could go to a racket store and trade it in for a G4 size of the same model if they carry it. I know my store does that. I know it's not answering your question but you can try this as well.

5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Agree with that. You could run into problems with balance if you don't shave it correctly.

You can regrip it much thinner than a leather grip.

6. joseph

joseph Guest

thanx for the advice. i've tried pulling off the original grip and replace it with an over grip, but it makes the handle too hard, and hurt my fingers. so i don't think that's an option... as for replacing a handle, how do you take it off in the first place? isn't the shaft very tightly attached to the handle?

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The handle part (wood) is glued on pretty hard. It may sound like you have to pry it off if you can.

About replacing your original grip with an overgrip.. Why would you need to do that? You always want to preseve the original at all costs and overgrip the original.

8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    It's standard practice for a lot of players including myself to take off the leather grip and replace with a grip of choice.

Karakal have picked up on it and supply their rackets with a pu super grip instead of a leather one so you don't have to fork out extra.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For what reason do you want to preserve the original grip? What if the player likes a small grip? It's not as if the original grip is still playable after being wrapped up.

I take the orginal grip off. I know of two elite players (internationals that do this) also doing this. People who like larger grips might not do so.