Jump Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by masson, Oct 7, 2007.

1. masson

masson Regular Member

Hey you guys,
    I was thinking of learning the JUMP SMASH. I thought it would be really helpfull, but then again I said to myself I am only 15, is it really worth it and will it really help me? I am quite badminton enthusiast but right now I only play for my highschool team and that too is the junior division. Can some of the experienced guys give me their insight into this matter?

2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Jump a lot. You will develop timing.
    Best of all, you will develop stamina, because it's very tiring.

3. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Regular Member

Student
    I too am 15 and play for my high school. I can sorta kinda jump smash. During practice don't be afraid or embarrassed to try it out. If you don't get it the first time then you shouldn't feel bad. I messed up ALOT and hit myself a ton of times too. When you first get it, it feels awesome and then you just wanna keep on going. Just like Loopy said it gets tiring.

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    find the Peter Rasmussen's jump smash video on youtube. that's a lot of help. then get a friend and take turns lifting the shuttle and practising your jump smash. don't be afraid to practise lots. but when it comes to a game which counts, eg, a school tournament, then leave them out until you have got them good.

5. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Age is not a factor in doing a jump smash. I have seen a 12-13 year old buy who did a jump smash, hes not very tall, standing around 1.58cm.

6. masson

masson Regular Member

But my coach said that it is a waste of energy...and the main thing in badminton is stamina so it is not that wsie to do it.

7. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

well jump smash itself is not a waste of energy
    it's just energy consuming
    if you see a big wide hole in ur opponents game and you wanna end it quick
    then a jump smash would be great
    but if it's just a normal rally then there is no point performing a jump smash
    and a jump smash can also put ur opponent out of place when they are trying to retrieve it

8. Ramster

Ramster Regular Member

Student
    well I find that the jump smash is mainly done to get a better angle, however that much angle wont make much of a difference at the highschool level...unless youre like O.O

9. Canuck19_14

Canuck19_14 Regular Member

Student
    LOL i thought i saw wrong ROFL probably a typo 1.58cm lol what is he a super uber midget? xP

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I can't see him!!

11. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

To jump smash or not to jump smash....

Everything is relative. At a certain level of play, the jump smash is an integral part of the game, whereas at a lower level, it might be a complete waste of time and energy.

Without knowing what level you play at, my suggestion would be to take your coach's advice and not worry about the jump smash at this stage. While I might not necessarily agree with his assessment, we don't know the context behind his point of view (ie your ability, your opponent's ability, long term or short term goals, his expertise), so your best bet at this stage is to follow his advice.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things you can work on besides the jump smash.

Wayne Young

12. Aesir

Aesir Regular Member

That I would have to see with my own eyes

13. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You've got to learn some foot work before learning to jump smash. >_>
    Otherwise if you want to jump smash from a fixed position, then all you need is the right timing, technique ( of course ), and confidence. :)
    But oh yeah, it's better to ask a coach than to ask any of us about this.

14. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Oh by the way, how those players jump smash with their leg folded up and smash in the air???
    eg: Lin Dan

15. Genesis

Genesis Regular Member

Student, Research
    There are several styles but you need to get decent amount of air time, leg strength and alot of practice. In short, it helps generate significant power in the jumpsmash.

16. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Er...any clips that helps beside the Peter Rasmussen??

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Age not a factor:D

How many 85 year olds have you seen jump-smashing :p

(sorry couln't resist the bad comment... ;) )

/Twobeer

18. jerby

jerby Regular Member

The best I've seen was a 1.60m, 60 year old coach jumping 30cm of the floor to demonstrate his idea of a jump smash...
    The darn lefty was a national doubles champion back in the day...

19. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

its nice to use it in fun games, but in competitive games it is more risky and gives you a higher chance of error, it also drains a huge amount of stamina so unless your extremely fit, its best not to use it until you develop more in the game. but its always fun to learn and to use in fun games so i say learn it but use it with care in competition, i started out but doing little hops while hitting the shuttle, then piling on the height, its good training for leg power and stamina too so don't be afraid to try to learn it.

20. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    Well if you learn it, don't overuse it. Use it when you see a good opportunity, but whatever you do, don't force it. Reckless jump smashing is a waste of stamina.

You should also watch some more videos of people jump smashing and notice when they jump(as in where the bird is when they jump), what their legs are doing as s/he swings (the kick) the racket, and how their form is. Lastly, you should notice at what point the player hits the birdie (the angle at which they contact the birdie). These are pretty essential things to notice when learning the timing and form for a jump smash.

If anything, it's best if you have train your normal smash well first before trying out the jump smash. When you're consistent and confident with your normal smash (hitting percentage of 95% or higher probably), then try out the jump smash, it'll help you much more in the long run. But if you do wish to get a good jump smash, practice jumping exercises and ab exercises. A good jump, kick and stable trunk (abs) while smashing is essential to getting the true power of a jump smash. (Of course, given that you can do all the stuff for a normal smash)